Cavwp.exe using 25% of resources

??? Hi guys,
My [font=Verdana][font=Verdana][font=Verdana][font=Verdana]cpu trottles 25% on this exe file from Comodo 6 IS:

CAVWP.exe

:P0l I don’t think its a normal way
Can anyone tell me what is going on, otherwise I quit using the program and will install Zonealarm

Greetings

Jim

Do you have any other security products installed?

Nope only this one :cry:
I used Comodo for years
never had a problem… but this is going to far its abusing my CPU

I uninstalled it and went to Zonealarm
;D

If the process was running while your computer was idling you may have witnessed the cache builder of the AV.

That could b yes but not for an hour of three at 25% off the CPU usage :-TD
What a great forum a lot of talk and no satisfied answer
Guess the use of Zonealarm might be the best choice 4 now

Thanks 4 your answer Eric

Are you saying that this continued for three hours?

Does running a rating scan help?
Also, please list any changes you may have made to your configuration.

That’s what you get with the new products… It’s not just Comodo all new products have some issues… Wait until all this get fixed…

Edit: Make a report about this to Comodo plz…

Hi Mr.Bit2Bit,
That is a bit below the belt, do you kick the neighbor in the shins for trying to help start your broken lawnmower but didn’t succeed? :-TD
I would think hope not.

Did you ever give it a thought that the lack of satisfaction might have come about from lack of information given with the question.
Examples of what may of helped find the cause.
What Operating system do you have?
Did you upgrade or do a fresh install of CIS?
Is your system clean?
Do you have any other possible conflicting programs?
What logs were generated by Comodo?
Did you get any Windows error event logs?
Was you using custom or default settings?
The list of possible helpful information to assist with a possible resolution can vary and much more could be added.
Thanks.

I am having the same issue except the CPU is running at 50% for many hours (more than 12 hours). Had to use Task Manager to shut down cavwp.exe. This is the latest CIS running on XP. Please advise.

Cavwp.exe running for hours maxing out a complete CPU core is not good. It may be a bug and/or compatibility issue with other software. Or may be it was running a schedule full system scan.

Can you please check the logs of tasks and see if there was a full system scan running when you witnessed cavwp.exe use up many resources? You can adjust the time period of the logs by using the arrow at the bottom of the logs.

It if was not the full system scan eating up the resources please state what other security programs you are using. Also make sure that left overs of previously installed security programs are no longer around by removing possible left overs with cleanup tools of those programs. Leftovers can cause all sort of strange results A list of such tools can be found here: ESET Knowledgebase .

Keep us posted.

50% is really bad surely if it is for nothing.
I could not even shut it down via the task manager.
So I restart the pc and after a time the same story.
Now I have zonealarm running without any problems
I’ll get back later if the problem dissapears!

That was my thought also
There were no other security apps running.
No left overs
I repair hard and software for about the last 10 years now and never had such an issue
If the big guys from comodo reads there own forum they could learn from it 2

My operating system Windows 7 X64
Clean install of CIS 2013
System is perfectly clean ( and I know after 10 years of experience )
Impossible that there is a conflicting program!
No windows error logs or whatever
Could it even shut down via taskmanager ( only a restart )

Here you go

If your system is clean then we are looking at a bug. If you have the time and energy please consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.

If you can not make this out then let me know and I will post a screen shot. Please note that I did uninstall the older version before I installed the latest version. Also, I have been using CIS for years on several machines with XP and 7 and have had no problems other than the sandbox not remembering my answer. Thanks. Here are the logs:

COMODO Internet Security Premium Logs

Table
Tasks Launched
Date Created
2013-01-08 14:00:48
Records count
Date Type Parameter Completed Code Info Additional Info
2013-01-08 13:30:01 Av Update 2013-01-08 13:36:04 Old database 14839 New database 14841
2013-01-08 09:49:02 Bin Update 2013-01-08 09:49:23 0x00000001 Old Build 2674 New Build 2674
2013-01-08 09:24:03 Av Update 2013-01-08 09:25:51 Old database 14833 New database 14839
End of The Report

Hi Mr.Bit2Bit,
Thanks for this information, IMO in the electronic world we can’t be certain of anything.
Seeing you are certain it is clean and knowing there is no conflicting software present, I recommend following Eric’s reply 13.

The Devs read some posts, but they do not have time to read all.
If you want to increase the chances of the Developers reading the issue please follow the advice given by Eric in reply 13.
Thanks for your time.

Edit: I noticed you had it running smoothly on Jan 1st, it might be worth noting any system changes that took place between then and now.
Quotes from another location,

Is there any reason why Cavwp.exe is running with everything but the firewall disabled? It doesn’t consume much in the way of resources, even after several days of uptime.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Did the problem with cavwp.exe happen on January 8?

I’m having a similar problem.
I’ve upgraded to Win 8, and made a clean install of Comodo internet security (version 6.0.2xx). I used it also on my old Win 7 installation and everything worked fine (but I had an older suit version).
Since I installed Comodo, every time my PC wakes up from sleep or from a shout down, cavwp.exe starts to work, taking almost 100% of my HDD resources for at least an hour.
This is extremely annoying since my PC starts to work very slowly.
I ended up uninstalling the suit, hoping to receive a response before I decide if I install it again or not.
Appreciate you help.
Best,
Mat

It took a substantial amount of reading to find this location. I am not satisfied with the answers I am reading. I do not have the background of some of the moderators on here, that I am sure of. At the same time, with my limited ability, I was able to reproduce it on a second machine. As a result, I am positive all may load this program up on your personal computer and witness this problem first hand.

This process is now passing the five hour mark between 6% and 25% of the CPU. I am unable to stop, suspend, or terminate the process. Since I do enjoy gaming on occasion, this has been a major issue.

Even in gaming mode, this process will not stop chewing up the CPU. In addition, my game is also interrupted by Comodo System Utilities (the game is minimized with all the possible “auto” settings off or disabled).

Reading the poor responses from the moderators, the wear and tear of the PC, and the interruptions of my games, it’s being unloaded.