Cavwp.exe using 25% of resources

50% is really bad surely if it is for nothing.
I could not even shut it down via the task manager.
So I restart the pc and after a time the same story.
Now I have zonealarm running without any problems
I’ll get back later if the problem dissapears!

That was my thought also
There were no other security apps running.
No left overs
I repair hard and software for about the last 10 years now and never had such an issue
If the big guys from comodo reads there own forum they could learn from it 2

My operating system Windows 7 X64
Clean install of CIS 2013
System is perfectly clean ( and I know after 10 years of experience )
Impossible that there is a conflicting program!
No windows error logs or whatever
Could it even shut down via taskmanager ( only a restart )

Here you go

If your system is clean then we are looking at a bug. If you have the time and energy please consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.

If you can not make this out then let me know and I will post a screen shot. Please note that I did uninstall the older version before I installed the latest version. Also, I have been using CIS for years on several machines with XP and 7 and have had no problems other than the sandbox not remembering my answer. Thanks. Here are the logs:

COMODO Internet Security Premium Logs

Table
Tasks Launched
Date Created
2013-01-08 14:00:48
Records count
Date Type Parameter Completed Code Info Additional Info
2013-01-08 13:30:01 Av Update 2013-01-08 13:36:04 Old database 14839 New database 14841
2013-01-08 09:49:02 Bin Update 2013-01-08 09:49:23 0x00000001 Old Build 2674 New Build 2674
2013-01-08 09:24:03 Av Update 2013-01-08 09:25:51 Old database 14833 New database 14839
End of The Report

Hi Mr.Bit2Bit,
Thanks for this information, IMO in the electronic world we can’t be certain of anything.
Seeing you are certain it is clean and knowing there is no conflicting software present, I recommend following Eric’s reply 13.

The Devs read some posts, but they do not have time to read all.
If you want to increase the chances of the Developers reading the issue please follow the advice given by Eric in reply 13.
Thanks for your time.

Edit: I noticed you had it running smoothly on Jan 1st, it might be worth noting any system changes that took place between then and now.
Quotes from another location,

Is there any reason why Cavwp.exe is running with everything but the firewall disabled? It doesn’t consume much in the way of resources, even after several days of uptime.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Did the problem with cavwp.exe happen on January 8?

I’m having a similar problem.
I’ve upgraded to Win 8, and made a clean install of Comodo internet security (version 6.0.2xx). I used it also on my old Win 7 installation and everything worked fine (but I had an older suit version).
Since I installed Comodo, every time my PC wakes up from sleep or from a shout down, cavwp.exe starts to work, taking almost 100% of my HDD resources for at least an hour.
This is extremely annoying since my PC starts to work very slowly.
I ended up uninstalling the suit, hoping to receive a response before I decide if I install it again or not.
Appreciate you help.
Best,
Mat

It took a substantial amount of reading to find this location. I am not satisfied with the answers I am reading. I do not have the background of some of the moderators on here, that I am sure of. At the same time, with my limited ability, I was able to reproduce it on a second machine. As a result, I am positive all may load this program up on your personal computer and witness this problem first hand.

This process is now passing the five hour mark between 6% and 25% of the CPU. I am unable to stop, suspend, or terminate the process. Since I do enjoy gaming on occasion, this has been a major issue.

Even in gaming mode, this process will not stop chewing up the CPU. In addition, my game is also interrupted by Comodo System Utilities (the game is minimized with all the possible “auto” settings off or disabled).

Reading the poor responses from the moderators, the wear and tear of the PC, and the interruptions of my games, it’s being unloaded.

Sorry to see you go. If the problem persist after having follow Chiron’s guidelines for a clean install then the only thing we can advice is to report this as a bug. \

As a practical advice you can disable the AV or remove it using the Add/Remove components from the uninstaller and then try another av.

Moderators are end users like you. We are not Comodo employees. Comodo employees can be recognised by the Staff avatar.

Had the same problem.

Only that I have 13-15% CPU usage.
Percentage is core dependent. Since it’s some single core process. In my case it’s 15% because I have 8 core machine, user that reported 25% probably have quad core machine and so on.

First started happening few months ago. And I noticed that it happens when I come out of sleep/hybernate.
I uninstalled and installed again and the problem was gone. However now it started happening again.

I still have not found any solution for this so if anyone have any other information plese reply here.
As I can’t see any good replacement for comodo firewall…
cheers

The process belongs to the av of CIS. You can uninstall the av using the Add/remove components option of the CIS installer (can be found in the Start Menu) and install a third party’s av.

oh ok… is that the only solution?

also I tried disabling AV during the problem but it does not stop CPU utilization…

Only “end tasking” the process works…

It’s been almost three months since the CIS 6 came out, but the problem has not been corrected so far. I have 15-35% utilization with my Core2Duo E8600 under Windows 8 x64 Pro and I kill the proccess when I want to play games. I have also this problem on any other PC I have installed CIS 6. When will this bug be resolved?

Hello All,
i had the same pb 50% cpu utilisation on 2 Core but i resolved the pb. 8)
I had 2 cavwp.exe processes with one at 50% and always 1 task in the Comodo Widget.

Since i enabled the Netbios Null Session protection to disable attack i resolved the pb.
Now only 1 process cavwp.exe with 0% cpu. :slight_smile:

Port to block in Comodo Firewall:
TCP & UP 135, 137,138,139, 445 (on my home pc, so no Microsoft domain and no share used)
or
Normally same thing if “Microsoft Network Client” and “Files and Print Sharing” are removed.

I let you try. :wink:

I hope this will help you and Comodo guys too…

Bye

oops!
I mean TCP & UDP …
But know it… :wink:

Where was the attack coming from? From the web or the local network? Are you behind a router?

I was not but now yes. :slight_smile:
But in fact the solution i posted is not related to the %CPU pb.
The pb reappeared but i found the root cause… ;D

It’s simply the Cache Builder process that causing this full CPU usage. I checked it in Comodo Task MAnager. :slight_smile:

I disabled it in Comodo Interface and in Windows Task Scheduler too => no more pb.

The cache builder should boost the real time scanning but without it all is fast on my laptop.

Hello Dear All,
I had the same problem with cavwp.exe , consuming CPU somtimes about 95% (!).
So I decided to remove the antivirus component as I read formerly here.

I hope that Comodo will consider this problem, resolve it and I can use again the antivirus component.
Thanx
BofyG