can't stand this now.

It doesn’t fix the errors. It let’s you know if something is wrong with your ram. See here. If it found that many errors that means your ram is bad and you should replace it. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Well I have 6144 errors, is that enough -_-?

Obviously, I KNEW I had errors, so I pretty much wasted 24 hours doing absolutely nothing but having some stupid program state the obvious.

how does ram just suddenly start giving me all this feces?

Thanks for the info. Qs. 7, 8, 9 and 11 still need answers, but they may not be required.

Re. memtest+ - firstly, it isn’t going to “fix” anything - it is a reporting tool only. If it finds an error, it will report an error.

If it is reporting an error with your RAM, we may be looking at the root cause of your random crashes.

Speccy reports you have 1 GB of RAM. This 1GB could be made up of A) 2 X 512MB sticks or b) 4 X 256MB sticks.

If A), try removing one of the 512MB sticks and retesting. If the system doesn’t start, power down and move the 1 X 512 MB stick to one of the other slots and retest.

If the crashes are still occuring, power down, swap the 512MB memory sticks over and retest.
If the errors do not occur, power down and swap memory sticks (just to confirm the second memory stick is faulty).

If B), remove 2 of the 256MB memory sticks at a time and retest. Given that there may be four 256MB sticks, there are more possible combinations you will need to test, but they ALL need to be tested.

You should mark each of your memory sticks “A”, “B”, “C” and “D” and write down the combinations you have tested, just to ensure that you’ve covered all bases. You will need to test AB, AC, AD, BC, BD and CD - 6 tests in all, but you will only be testing two stick at a time. Once you have identified a paired combination that causes the error you should be able to identify which of the pair is the root cause.

If you don’t want to test ALL combinations, it isn’t worth testing any. ALL or none. Pregnant or not pregnant - there are no half measures.

The above suggestions are designed to determine if one or more of your memory sticks has gone bad.

Please note - when removing or reinserting memory modules, this MUST BE DONE WITH THE POWER OFF.

Second note - your motherboard (a Sony specific ASUS release) has 4 RAM slots. Take note of where the RAM is BEFORE you remove anything, just so we can get back to “square one” if needed.

Third note - You may need to insert the memory sticks in different slots to get them to be recognised correctly.

Fourth note - If you have 4 X 256MB memory sticks and your motherboard has four memory slots, you may have a lot of combinations that you may need to test.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

or just replace all of the ram, almost all ram has a lifetime warranty on it. Contact the manufacturer of the ram and they can tell you what you have to do.

It did do something for 24 hours. It tested your memory, and it failed the test.

You didn’t actually need to Google anything. I already supplied the link to the FAQ that would tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the usage and operation of the software. All we can do is supply you with troubleshooting techniques. We can’t do them for you.

I was going to point you to the FAQ again for the relevant section on how to start troubleshooting the problem, but Panic has already gotten you started.

In addition to what he stated, you’re also going to want to do some research on the RAM modules you have installed, then check your BIOS to make sure everything is configured properly. Even incorrect latency settings in your BIOS can cause memory errors. And any memory error can crash your system.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a long drawn out process for you, but if you want to fix it, it needs to be done.

As to how your RAM could all of a sudden start doing this to you, as with anything electrical, RAM has a finite lifespan.

We are only trying to help, but your attitude isn’t helping.

Simple solution - if you don’t like the answers you’re getting here or you think the level of assistance we’re providing (at no cost other than our time, BTW) is inadequate, feel free to go elsewhere.

how does ram just suddenly start giving me all this feces?

There are many possible reasons.

It may be that Sony used cheap quality memory and it’s reached its end of life.
Your power supply could be wavering inducing failure in voltage sensitive components.
You may have inadequate airflow in your system resulting in excessive heat which can “cook” components.
The Electron Fairy got a bad batch of pixie dust.

It can just happen for no apparent cause.

Arriving at a valid diagnosis of random crashes, when you don’t have physical access to the system, is almost impossible to do.

Ewen

It is recently purchased ram.

they are 2 sticks of 512, perhaps the old one has given out.

my “attitude” is completely towards this stupid computer, not you guys.

thank you & I will try your suggestion.

and… yay, MORE bad news not related to my memory.

On Fri 11/5/2010 2:13:54 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntfs.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1902FE, 0xB8015698, 0xB8015394, 0x8057BE70)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110510-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT File System Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Additional information: The bluescreen had said, NOT exact wording I wrote it down fast;

"Disable/uninstall antivirus, disk defragmenters or backup utilities.

Check harddrive configuration and check for any updated drivers.
Run CHKDSK /F ti cgecj fir harddrive corruption, & then restart your computer."

Not the nicest thing to see… how should I go about fixing that?

edit: chkdsk didnt really work…?

http://i56.tinypic.com/24ovbcj.jpg

I would check out the ram first. Only if the problem isn’t there would I start exploring alternate possibilities.

just so u guys stop assuming its a drivers problem =PP… then again doesnt make sense why every crash says the error is related to my drivers T_T

http://i55.tinypic.com/ejh06d.jpg

will try the ram tomorrow, going to bed now =] thnx everyone

RE. chkdsk - did you allow chkdsk to run at the next reboot, as the dialogue suggested?

Re. driver related crashes, the drivers have to be loaded into RAM.

I strongly suspect your RAM (new or otherwise) is defective.

The first thing I would do is to completely go through the RAM test process I outlined earlier.

Ewen :expressionless:

So you have a new module and an old one installed? I’m hoping they have the same specs. If the RAM is mismatched, (same FSB speed, yet different latency specs for example) that could be your problem.

RAM issues can cause all sorts of problems. the NTFS error you had could be related to RAM errors.

But yes, as Panic mentions, since we know for sure you have memory errors, the place to start is by going through the process of testing your RAM modules.

ok.

i labelled all ram 1,2,3,4 (1 and 2 are years old, 3 and 4 are newly bought)

1 and 2 gave SOME errors, but not many.

3 & 4 gave a LOT of errors, fast.

1 and 3 gave no errors, meaning 2 has slight problems and 4 has MAJOR problems.

I’m now running with 1 and 3, which is 512mb, and my comp is noticeably slower, which is normal i guess…

major sigh… these errors just came out of nowhere, but whatever… hope i dont crash now, and gaming is gonna suck this slow x.x

ram 1,2,3,4
With all 4 ram slots, Are each of the rams slots 512mb? IF I recall correctly, the ram needs to be the same size in each slot.

Sorry, but beyond that. I’m out of ideas :frowning:

Your Speccy screenshot reported 1Gb of RAM, yet you’ve posted that you have 4 memory modules, 2 of which are 512MB?

I’m confused. Was your screenshot taken with just the new ones in, just the old ones in or both lots in?

If sticks 3 and 4 are new and are producing errors, take them back and get replacements. If you do, repeat the tests as soon as you get them and do the tests with NO OTHER RAM in the system so youre testing only the replacements.

Ewen :slight_smile:

lol i never said 512mb each did i o.o?

theyre 256 each.

1 & 2 gave errors
3& 4 gave errors

1 and 3 gave no errors, obviously meaning 2 & 4 are bad :stuck_out_tongue:

but yeah now im with a 256 256 and 2 128 temps and running fine… a bit slow, but no crashes, so tyvm guys

;D ;D ;D

but then it finished installing, said u shud now be able to boot it, went to A: and all it says is insert disk.
***********The last time I ever used the a:\ was when actual disks were square shaped (either 3.5 inch's or 5.25 inchs long) a long time ago.(they were not round shaped) ****** Sorry if this is obvious, just want to make sure there was no mistake. *************

For the location where the usb drive is (do this)

1. Stick in USB memory stick in the computer. Then always use that slot from that point on
  2. Now click on “My Computer”
  3. Look for “devices with removable storage” Look just below it
  4. Under it, it should show what drives are currently being used. Look for the one that the usb memory stick is using.
    example: let’s say the usb memory stick is on k:
    use the memtest86+ USB installer setup and save it the drive the usb memory stick is on :slight_smile:
    It should work now :slight_smile:

If not, use a different setup installer like one for DOS from the memtest686+ web site

I decide to back up again to see if anything is overlooked

"if its a disk i probably dont have it"

and no, i dont.

This was asked when about having a windows boot disc to check for repairs
possible solutions to this

look for

Best Boot Disk to repair/restore Windows CD
THE BEST BOOT UTILITY CD

TO ACCESS THE WINDOWS LIVE PROGRAMS ON YOUR CD SIMPLY INSERT IT INTO YOUR CD TRAY AND WINDOWS WILL AUTOMATICALLY LOAD IT UP AND YOU WILL SEE THE MENU SCREEN. IF YOUR COMPUTER SETTINGS ARE NOT COOPERATING JUST GO TO “MY COMPUTER”, LOCATE YOUR CD DRIVE THAT HOLDS THE CD AND DOUBLE CLICK ON IT, IT SHOULD SAY “UTIL CD” ON IT.

TO ACCESS THE DOS BASED PROGRAMS, MAKE SURE YOUR COMPUTER IS SET IN THE BIOS TO “BOOT TO CD” FIRST, MOST COMPUTERS ALREADY ARE.

TURN ON YOUR COMPUTER AND INSERT THE CD INTO THE CD DRIVE TRAY.

REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER, EITHER USE CTRL. ALT. DEL. OR HOLD YOUR POWER SWITCH AND COUNT TO 5 SLOWLY. THE COMPUTER WILL SHUT DOWN. THEN HIT THE POWER SWITCH AGAIN AND RESTART IT.

WHEN THE “BOOTABLE CD WIZARD” SCREEN COMES UP YOU WILL SEE THE FOLLOWING OPTION’S.

UTILITY CD USE UP/DOWN ARROW KEYS TO SELECT:

1- BOOT FROM C: DRIVE.
2- REBOOT
3- ERD COMMANDER, “MY PERSONAL FAVORITE” YOU CAN ACCESS THE INTERNET WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE, RESET WINDOWS PASSWORDS, DRIVE IMAGE 7, CD BURNING ECT.
4- MAIN DOS MENU, FOR IMAGING, RECOVERY, PARTITIONING, SYSTEM INFO, TEST, ECT.
5- ANTI VIRUS ( FAT OR NFTS)
6- FIX NTLDR. A REALLY HANDY TOOL.
7- WINDOWS ME BOOT DISK, INCLUDING MBR & CMOS TOOLS.
8- BOOTIT
9- ACRONIS RECOVERY EXPERT.
10-ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE.
11-WINDOWS XP RECOVERY CONSOLE, ANOTHER HANDY PROGRAM.
12-BLUECON XXL.

When one memory module is faster than the other BIOS will use slowest timings. Two different modules introduce a small change of incompatibility though.

That is true when running dual channel memory. The Speccy analysis states the system is running single channel DDR memory.

To follow up on what Panic said in the above. In case heat is the problem. Run with open case and ■■■■ away all dust from the CPU cooler.

Since the new memory is also giving problems odds are pointing towards something else than memory, assuming the problem is hardware related.

But we cannot rule out BIOS settings play a role too. Set the BIOS to use fail safe defaults (not optimised defaults or a setting with name that suggest higher than average speed or performance) and test again with the new memory.

When the computer reports an error (one error is enough proof) with the new memory try running the memory sticks in another computer that runs DDR 1 memory and test again. When no failure happens in another computer we need to start considering motherboard and power supply as possible culprits.

When handling memory modules make sure you make yourself as good as possible free of electrical charge. Either use an anti static bracelet around your wrist that is hooked up to an unpainted part of the computer case. Or Discharge yourself by touching an unpainted part of the computer case.