C.I.S. VS Avast

Avast 4.8 will give the option to ignore/quarantine/remove any virus it finds. I still have it installed as on-demand (after removing startup and services to keep it out of memory and disable active scanning until needed). My primary AV is Comodo. I also have MBam and SAS as on-demand.
The best thing to do is to use what you each feel most safest with as on-access, and have something else as on-demand to back it up.

A comment from Avast forum about CIS:“Will it be free? Or is everyone being used as extended beta testers,prior to going shareware?
Considering statements from Abdulhayoglu,
that BOClean would be available for stand-alone,even after its incorporation into CIS, I am not sure how much store can be put in the “free forever” rhetoric from the same guy.”

I don’t believe that changing licence to sharware is going to happen, because Comodo’s motto is “Creating Trust Online”, and we trust that “No renewal or update fees ever!” are not empty words.

I seriously doubt that Comodo would ever engage in such a PR disaster as to go back on the ‘free for life’ statement given that PR is vital to a company based on trust. :wink:

I do have to thank you for the link. But posting warez on the forums isn’t allowed. Your topic has been moved.

Xan

I agree, one of Comodo’s goals is to be recognized as trusted company. Trust is very hard to earn , but also it is very easy to lose.

Avast is a rock solid anti-virus. I use it (with SRP=software restriction policy) on my other computer. Its very light. I like it a lot. Its got a huge user following. 75milliion or some other mind-numbing figure. I know people who don’t know ■■■■ about security have it on their machines (fully updated).

That said, it needs a Behavioural Blocker ASAP. New malware cannot be guarded against and i think every anti-virus solution needs a BB. Though it dosent need a super special BB, a simple one which protects c:\windows* would made a HUGE difference. Protecting startup registry keys wouldnt hurt either. ;D

This is where i think CIS is going to score BIG. In a years time, when the anti-virus is mature and (hopefully) in top5 CIS as a package will be un-matchable, un-beatable, un-imaginable, impregnable… you get the point. That is when i think Melih will come closets to his dream…

Excellent example is Win32:Vitro and older Win32:Virtob detection. A single detection in avast! that covers all the latest virut viruses. From what i’ve seen, they’re adding separate detections for it in C.I.S. In such cases you can quickly reach sky high numbers while you may not even be better than competition that’s using just 2 detections for exactly the same thing.

So how about Comodo? Every single singature detects just 1 malware sample?

Ok. I found this https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews_cis/cis_have_just_exceeded_over_1_million_signatures_for_the_av-t33264.0.html;msg238850#msg238850

3xist posted :“Remember the signatures include genetic signatures (1 signature could mean 5 different variants, or 100)”.

i used both CIS And Avast! but i left avast on the lowest scan protection (works for me! :))

You could at least mention i wrote this…

Your right, sorry it was and cut a paste job from the Avast forum (Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security) of which ^ he did write the above comment. It was absent-mindedness which made me not say it was you that posted the above comment the first time nothing more nothing less.

With the permission of Melih…

Total Signatures: 1,013,164 1,027,031 (edited by Melih…sorry the guys are working extra hours this weekend!!! Smiley )
Total Whitelisted Files: 1,107,514 (Currently in the CIS beta)

Remember the signatures include genetic signatures (1 signature could mean 5 different variants, or 100), And when the heuristics is final this will be a much bigger number too… Comodo will continue to create more signatures. It’s getting there VERY fast, And with all the amazing users sending Comodo samples… Plus the heuristics, Comodo will simply suppress the competition in around September (When Melih promised he will deliver one of the best, if not he best AV).

This number will grow by 4,000 signatures a day and more.

You don’t have any AV Tests for CIS…
You don’t know how good it is from AV-Comparativies.com
You don’t know how good it is from VB100…
You don’t know how good it is from any other AV Testing organization…

But you have Melih’s word. Wink

Well done Comodo!!! Smiley

Cheers,
Josh

This is !ot! but I thought it is worth me adding it to this topic.

This newsletter informs about the latest Emsi Software news.
Security experts Emsi Software and Tall Emu announce an Austrian/Australian technology alliance

Cooperation instead of competition: Emsi Software in Austria and Tall Emu in Australia have announced a new and very close technology partnership. Both companies produce security software and have such a similar orientation and philosophy in this area that cooperation offers only advantages to both sides. The first result of this is that a-squared Free is now immediately available for downloading bundled together with the Online Armor Free firewall.

Tall Emu in Australia is also active in the security sector and provides an excellent enhancement to the Emsi Software product portfolio. Online Armor Personal Firewall v3 monitors the Internet connection and prevents hackers or damaging software from secretly accessing the system via the connection. The program also protects its own identity and protects the user from espionage when performing online banking and making online purchases. Online Armor Free can be used free of charge but does not yet offer individual modules from its big brother such as the online banking mode or the phishing filter.

a-squared Anti-Malware + Online Armor Personal Firewall Bundle

Emsi Software and Tall Emu have now announced a new close technology partnership. Christian Mairoll from Emsi Software says: “Physical distances no longer play a role in the IT business. In fact, exactly the opposite is true, we have discovered that Emsi Software and Tall Emu lie very close to each other in many areas and complement each other perfectly. We have therefore decided that we will be more strongly represented together rather than individually. We have planned many new activities for the 2009 business year.”
a-squared Free bundled with Online Armor Free

The first sign of this new cooperation has already been set. Both companies now bundle their software and offer them as a package. This means that a-squared Free is now provided together with Online Armor Free. Every user downloading the free Australian firewall is now also offered an Austrian Virus scanner with Spyware protection – and vice-versa.

a-squared Anti-Malware + Online Armor Personal Firewall = 30% discount

Emsi Software offers a-squared Anti-Malware with Online Armor Personal Firewall in a bundle too. Both products complement each other perfectly and can be purchased with 30% discount. That saves you about US $40!

Benefit from two of the best security tools on the market: Online Armor as Firewall and our awarded a-squared Anti-Malware with dual-engine scanner, frequent updates and behavior based malware blocking.

Special offer:

* Single PC: US $55.93 (was US $79.90)
* 3-Pack: US $90.93 (was US $129.90) 

The 30% discount offer is available on our website now:
a-squared Anti-Malware + Online Armor Personal Firewall Bundle

PS: We didn’t forget about our long term customers. If you already have a full version license for a-squared Anti-Malware you can purchase Online Armor with 30% off too! Please log in at the customer center for details.

Have a nice (malware-free) day!

Your Emsi Software Team

Seems natural - a Tall Emu could be an Österreich. ;D

:slight_smile:

It could be the start of something big in the ‘paid’ world. I think they’re calling it OA Squared… nice.

I wasn’t really surprised when I saw the news. I knew it would come one day. And I think it will only happen more and more later. It’s all about money…

Xan

Hmm, intressting point there… Still what matters is that detection is increasing… And it must be improving some with all thousand new definitions added daily… go go comodo! :comodo110: :comodo110:

Still there is no doubts that AVAST has the stronger AV as for now… =)

EDIT:: interesting point there RejZoR! =)

Here is the other forum post on the Avast forum that I started about well the same thing this topic is about really. Avast home vs CIS (Comodo Internet Security)

FYI: We use both Family Signatures as well as single signatures.
Family signatures catch a family (eg: one signature will catch more than one malware and its variance) where as the single signature will catch a single file.

around 256 thousand of our signatures are Family signatures (eg: catch more than one file as long as its a variant). The rest are single file ones.

We concentrate on increasing both as they are equally important in protecting the end user one for speed and the other for depth.

But…guys… we are the new kid on the block… just give us some time… we only started having some fun :wink:

Btw: we also know how many of the malware we have in our database the other AVs detect (or don’t detect)… you would be surprised :wink: (I wasn’t!)

Melih

Hi slangen,

re: Emsi Software and Tall Emu

oa-squared o*a2 (o!)(a2) I like (“O” factorial) most 88)

Yes, it could be the start of something new & interesting, but not in the “paid world” only since there is a bundle of a2-free+OA-free as well. Sure you don’t have IDS/"onExecution"scan/hosts management/etc. in free but on-demand scanner with two engines is the same and rated pretty high.

Cheers