Bob, who accepted a Job to promote AVAST, is coming to our forums to bad mouth us - 2

This is my first post in these forums at Comodo. By what I read thus far I realized that when one disagrees with a mod, an employee of Comodo including its CEO I’ve got the impression that such critic must be vilified, and destroyed. Are Comodo forums supposed to be a place where one could come to discuss subjects related to computer security. I said discuss because the word means an exchange of views where knowledge would shine and eventually correction and progress would be made.

If dissenting opinions are always crushed and suppressed; hence, there can only be a monologue, not of course within the context of two persons but a strict command to adhere to Comodo’s official way to behave and to think or else. I’m sorry to be off topic, however, that’s my first impression about the forums.

I’m sorry to be !ot!.

The critic must be destroyed if he is unable to reason effectively. Bob fits that criteria ;D.

If dissenting opinions are always crushed and suppressed

There are no opinions here. We do not want to hear opinions, because they are useless. We want reasoned judgement, and some people fail at that. The fact is:

1. Bob made some accusations.
  2. Melih responded to Bob.
  3. Bob ignored Melih’s response and went on about irrelevant things.
  4. Bob loses.

:smiley:

Accusing Comodo of stealing like IObit did that definitely needs corroboration. I hope that goes without saying.

DACS is like Virus Total, Jotti’s virusscan and other similar services but now it is done by a peer to peer network. The results are not owned by AV companies. The underlying technology is of course owned by them. See DACS as follows. My neighbour asks me to scan his USB stick because it may be infected. My scanner reports its findings. I tell this to my neighbour. I would say Freedom of Speech and Gathering tell us that we can do this freely (like Virus Total etc).

Agreed.

What is being shared are the malware and the results. I’m not a lawyer but the results, maybe, could bring some legal issues, maybe.
Malware is not copyrighted isn’t it, so it can be freely shared. Copyrighter malware would be a next generation of malware. And that would be after the phase where all malware would get digitally signed… :smiley: Since when can in a free Western country not freely being spoken about things? I cannot discuss with my neighbour the different opinions about what our av scanners think about a file? Are you serious? Do you really think business can pull this type of prohibition of? :o ??? 88)

The files could bring privacy issues, maybe. I hope not, as I think the users and the protection will be in favor of DACS improvements. But, who knows.
Privacy can be an issue. But according to Melih there are serious checks built in.
When we are accused of fanboyism - I myself was accused more than once - everything is messed, there is no intellectual discussion anymore, just personal attacks and bad feelings. Everyone looses. Comodo forum looses. The user looses. Other companies image loose.
Calling people names is just flaming and not permitted.

I’m not so sure about this anymore. I’m willing to bet that the AV companies will put in a EULA clause preventing this, if they haven’t already done so. This has nothing to do with freedom of speech, but rather a Comodo’s volunteer’s ability to use the AV software at all.

VirusTotal has arrangements with the AV companies, BTW.

Malware is not copyrighted isn't it, so it can be freely shared.

Yes it is. It’s just that the malware authors can’t take any legal action…

Off Topic > I must say that if they do then why would a user want to be with a Company that disagrees with a company that wants to in-some-way unite All AV Companies to Help the end-user?

I think this will affect the AV Industry more then we think… but depends on how it’s placed in real-life…

My 2 Cents

Wait a minute, what is going on between Comodo and the the rest of the AV industry?

Here’s some rules of software development:

1. The user is stupid.
  2. The user wants to get something done, and they don’t care about the details. At all.

If you would have read this topic and other topics closely you would have noticed that this topic alone is meant to deal with a troll. The Comodo Forums are an open place where we don’t easily ban people nor do we delete posts.
If you would have done your homework you would have noticed that

• some people do not fully understand the concept of how DACS works. We will comment on that and fill in the blanks
  • people are unsure of the legal implications. All we can do is to explain to the best of our knowledge what the legal position is according to the legal people of Comodo
  • some people like Bob come here to stirr up problems by accusing Comodo of stealing and does not want to give proof of that

You are making a whole lot of accusations for a first time poster here especially as you only seem to have been reading this dealing_with_troll topic as reference for the complete forums.

Remember though it is a fine line between just being uninformed and a troll. They both share selective reading and can therefor the one can be easily misunderstood for the other.

We don’t know yet. But Comodo may get some legal flak in time for DACS. That’s the interesting part.

Enjoy your time here at the Comodo Forums but you may want to do some homework on DACS before you may get misunderstood.

Malware is not copyrighted, sure. But the signature that detects such a malware belongs only to the AV company or the entity that created it. Using such a signature, in any shape or form without the consent of its rightful creator, could lead to undesirable legal consequences. Case in point when Iobit stole MBAM signatures, things did not go well for iobit. Iobit is still alive nonetheless few in the computer security world will ever trust them.

Once again what is going on? Maybe I should spend more and more time reading related threads and posts to find out.

I’ll tell you something about me. I hate the t-word :-. It’s one of those looks-factual-but-is-actually-meaningless words which people throw around to describe things they dislike. If someone wants to make accusations, that’s fine. Let them respond if you want them to back up their statements :). Then, if they’re being unresponsive, start getting angry ;D.

Edit: I’m going to refrain from discussing the ethics of trying to identify trolls. It’s off-topic 8).

I edited my post and added

They both share selective reading and can therefor the one can be easily misunderstood for the other.

It’s true that DACS is indirectly “using” the signatures, through the AV products themselves! The thing I’m worried about is that while they cannot copyright the results of the scans, I’m sure they can put something into the EULA to stop Comodo.

Disclaimer: I’m not a laywer.

Thanks for confirming my first impression of Comodo forums. By the way I was not making any accusation, I just gave my impression about Comodo forums based upon what I read thus far. As a mod you have the right to delete my post(s) if they are in violation of the forums rules.

You were making an accusation. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just PMed him on the topic of trolling, and hopefully I can change his mind.

Melih, who am I to judge what people feel or need to do.
The reaction to Bob was very very hard. After a hard post, maybe I was not that strong and have entered into flames.
I’m not the one to judge who need to apologize.
I hope we all learn from these situations as for a new user it is a very bad advertisement.
We all love to live in peace and to construct dialog and friendship.
I get sad when I see people that cannot connect and dialog.
This is what happened here and I think everyone involved should learn, including me.

We can learn of it.

You’re not. You’ve got the point.

Everybody lost and Bob wasn’t the one who lost most. My personal opinion.

EricJH, I suppose we’re talking the same with different words, with different feelings, but almost the same. Just that if somebody call names and the reaction is on the same tone, everybody loses: one because of starting, the others because cannot deal with the situation.

And Comodo?

Bob is not a troll.

Erick, sorry, but James is correct in my opinion. The way of reaction is the key for me.

The problem I have with some posters is that they will present their opinions as if they were facts. They therefore cannot provide any facts to back them up. That’s what this topic is actually about. (By the way, I’m not talking about you. ;))

Comodo is not stealing signatures or reverse engineering any technology. They are simply passing the results of scans to other users via a P2P network. I believe Comodo when they say there is nothing illegal about it (after all it’s their money that’s on the line, not ours), but how the companies will react to this is still up in the air. That’s part of what makes it so interesting. ;D

They’re not, so I won’t. If you have any clarifying questions a better post can be found here. Read through it and see if you still have questions.

Also, have a Happy New Year. :■■■■

Good, so the following is not !ot! then.

You say some people “present their opinions as if they were facts”. This clearly allows for a lot of bias. I don’t think an “opinion” is a single statement made by someone, but rather a statement made in a certain topic that doesn’t have facts at all (e.g. what your favorite color?). But this is not how most people use the word “opinion” - instead, they use it to describe anything they don’t agree with, or anything that others are likely to disagree with.

I don’t agree with your interpretation. This is not a topic on which you can have opinions. There are facts about security software, and if someone posts misinformation, then they are wrong. No one posts here to state mere opinions, because if they were just opinions, you would ignore them. We argue here in order to determine the truth (or come as close to it as possible). Anyone who disregards this and ignores people’s counter-arguments or makes personal attacks should just stay away from here.

And so, people stating things like “just my 2 cents” and “just my opinion” doesn’t help. What, should we completely ignore what you have to say?

For those unfamiliar with critical thinking, try searching for “reasoned judgement”.

its maybe off topic, but the cloud do not work .
i do not have the time for creating thread.

DACS does not use a signature.It simply reports the judgement of the av scanner about the file. DACS does what Virus Total, Jotti’s virus scan and similar services already do. Heck, there is a Firefox extension that can upload files to Virus Total.

Case in point when Iobit stole MBAM signatures, things did not go well for iobit. Iobit is still alive nonetheless few in the computer security world will ever trust them.

Once again what is going on? Maybe I should spend more and more time reading related threads and posts to find out.

Stealing is of a different order than making a new variation of something that Virus Total already do.

I may have judged you a bit harsh but your reply several alarms ringing all at once. I will give you the grace that all new members get from me. I trust until proven otherwise.

Sorry for my harsh reply. Please enjoy your time at the Comodo forums. It is an open place where a lot of conversation and discussion is possible not only about Comodo products. This topic is for several reasons not representative for the complete forum.

I replied to your pm.