Best/Recommended nLite Configurations

I’ll install it on my other HDD today and see if it boots ;D

Cheers,
Ragwing

You rang?

Removing IE is a bad idea, and that’s even coming from REBOL. Don’t forget CFP still uses its settings for updates…

Even I have left IE completely untouched. Actually, when my XP was fresh (two days ago or so), there were only two folders in Program Files: Internet Explorer and Common Files. It was a sight I’ve never seen before.

Speaking of Common Files, you should put stuff there if you want to keep Program Files neat and clean. I’ve put Java, Ghostscript, Windows Media Lite and XviD there, since they all actually can be considered as common files. Other things which are natural to “hide” in Common Files are QuickTime, GTK+ and probably more stuff as well.

LA

Now I’m done with my new OS, and it’s working just fine ;D

I kept it, but I’ve installed CFP 3 and blocked iexplore.exe from running.

I’ve never used CFP’s auto-update :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, tip for you LA: Make all folders in Program Files hidden, then disable viewing Hidden files and folders, then it’ll be completely empty for you ;D

Cheers,
Ragwing

I think activation (you have a genuine XP? 88)) of Windows also requires the IE core. Probably there are many more things. But anyway, now since you kept it, it should be fine.

So how large is the ISO? Did you beat my 200 MB? :slight_smile:

Just hiding folders? I wouldn’t be able to sleep well! :o

LA

Yes, it’s genuine 88)

It’s 171MB, originally 593MB, that means 422MB less!

Cheers,
Ragwing

Good. I think you removed more components than we did, so that’s a sign of relief that it worked.

I never auto-update anything, but CFP still requires IE when you try to manually run the updater. It’s the same for v2 and v3. Else, you’ll get the error 106 even by just enabling the Work Offline option.

BTW, there’s a new version out. It’s a minor update, plus I didn’t want to go through everything after I uninstalled NLite, so I didn’t use it.

Does anybody know if there are problems if the ISO is burned to CD-RW instead of CD-R?

I know there’s even more items to delete from there, just don’t want to mess it up ;D

I never manually run the updater, I download it from the forum, so that I can see what’ve changed.

Shouldn’t be any problem, only big difference between them is that you can erase and add new items on RW. But I burned my ISO on a CD-R, so I don’t know for sure.

Cheers,
Ragwing

:o With the setup you’ve posted here in that long post? I’ve gotta make a new CD. ;D Though I certainly won’t put any effort into it, until SP3 is here so I can integrate it. My current CD is close to perfection, I just have to learn what else is possible to remove… perhaps even more services and network stuff.

/LA

Well, I made some tweaking ;D

Cheers,
Ragwing

Leo will never satisfied until he beats everyone with the slimmest copy. REBOL still takes the lead [at-bypass] 170 MB.

false :slight_smile:

it’s 137, 8 mb at this moment. OMG, what have I dun unto thee?

Hope this will last :slight_smile:

Truly: :o

Would you mind sharing that magical .ini file? (if so, don’t forget to rename it to .txt as .ini is not accepted to upload)

I’ll share mine, but I think that the interest of downloading is little. Everyone’s nLite setups are personal.

I could ask this at the nLite forum, but as I’m here, does anyone know if it’s OK to remove the folder “DOCS” (located directly on the installation CD with i386 etc.)? That folder only contains a GIF image, perhaps it is used during the setup? It would be nice to have the folders i386 and [BOOT] only.

/LA

[attachment deleted by admin]

Why not remove i386 itself? You don’t want to yield your clean weirdo title just yet (:WIN)

I’ll start this magical NLite process right now (:LOV)

Or I might just as well throw the machine out the window(s). :smiley:

Soya, did you download my nLite session? Confess now, you thought I had something good there so now you’ve started the nLite process with it. 8)

LA

Sorry, i surely won’t post my newest “.ini” file here, it’s maybe way too dangerous to follow the steps I tried and done.
So I won’t / cannot (yet?, maybe) recommend or publish my proceedings.
All I did was to completely remove seemingly unnecessary sys files, some socalled “essential” folders with no real sys link etc. after the first procedure (that is using nliteos by extremes), and then do a virtual cleaning of lost/dead internal connexes; afterwards making an iso file of it (not using nliteos for this one, of course) and burn it.

What I found out by doing so (unorthodox as this might be), is that tons of new dead links / connexes appeared on any prog I tried after having installed this (maybe way too) “lean version” I had thus created.

I can still play all files as before.

I removed the dead “links”, registries and files.
(Using 8 different programs)

I guess, if those files had been removed before installing them, this would have resulted in an installation file as big as, let’s say, 80 to 90 mb, not more. I am rather sure. Maybe even less.

But remember, nliteos is a work in progress, they might not have discovered all unessential files yet.

As you can see here, using a browser, connecting to the internet and telling evil stories still works.

So what?

They’ve not yet come to the smallest point.

Cheers, friends.

The REBOL :slight_smile:

still believing in a better future

OMG I’ve created my 3rd miracle for 2K8 (:KWL).

I thought I wouldn’t be able to make it here, but here I am. The first few days were very dangerous (mostly due to my carelessness of losing the PC’s cd drivers for audio and my NIC :o!). I had to download the drivers from my workplace. From thereon, it was an adventure trying to find the exact drivers for my audio.

I’ve never seen such a small Program Files directory ;D. Of course it’s incomplete, but I no longer have to see that other ■■■■. BTW, is ComPlus Applications directory ■■■■ as well? There’s nothing in it, but I don’t want to remove it if XP “requires” it without generating any “errors”.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Welcome to the club! (:HUG) (:CLP)

You know me, I take risks. ComPlus Applications and WindowsUpdate are both folders I always delete. I even did it long before I used nLite.

I never, ever, had any problems after deleting empty folders in general (including those two). The exception is C:\Documents and Settings[User]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch - when deleting this you get an error message if you try to activate the Quick Launch toolbar.

So everything went well? No errors during installation? You found your drivers? Other problems?

Don’t forget to defrag with Jk. :wink:

/LA

JK - ah one of the other lovely ones. Too bad it still doesn’t support the layout.ini and conflicts with rundll32.exe advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks.

There are some hardware components I haven’t installed the drivers for, the 1394 firewire (totally useless) and Silicon Image (mass storage controller? Must be useless since I’ve disabled it before nLite without any different results). As for errors … none! At least not from nLite. It wasn’t a perfect installation, though, because there were somes settings I recall that weren’t carrried through by nLite. Luckily, those settings were minor and can easily changed via Explorer and the usual. All services which I excluded seem fine (still got just the 15 important ones running). I still had to tweak XP to get rid of the user profile hive problem in the Windows Event Viewer (therefore it’s NOT due to CFP). There was one annoying incident though - my refresh rate (more exactly the AGP) was severely wounded and I thought it was because I excluded the Smart Card service. Nope. Turned out to be a corrupt installation of my video drivers (I selected the wrong ones, then uninstalled them, but there must’ve been some shared files to mess the others).

Outcomes: boot-up was fast as expect before I installed the software like video drivers (2 bars across the XP logo), but from thereon it was the same. Shutdown was like a second faster after the software, but after some tweaking it was even faster. I noticed 2 or 3 nLite files that remained and I deleted them because they were found to be in the RunOnce registry (thanks to HiJackThis), so that part was safe.

If slipstreaming hotfixes and updates doesn’t work out for you, my advice is to at least include SP2 because it cuts down on the manual updating A LOT. I only had to install around 50 more.

Same here, at least for my one or two first nLite setups: settings for viewing files etc. in Explorer were not applied. In the latest setup though, they are applied.

Where did you find those files? You don’t mean the last session .ini files, that nLite stores on the setup CD (unless one choses not to keep them)?

Actually I do start out from an XP SP2 CD, it is already included. But I don’t understand why you only had to install ~50 hotfixes afterwards? I get 80 hotfixes from MS Update… haven’t got 50 after a fresh install since several months ago, the number is increasing for every month as MS releases new patches.

So your CD includes SP2 but no newer hotfixes (exactly like mine)? How large was the ISO file? 88)

/LA