Bad news: CPF slows down system & internet? [Resolved]

I find the cpu usage a real pain, and really affects the performance of my pc (2.8gig Athlon, 1 gig RAM). My pc can be sitting idle, and then the hard drive starts chunttering away, all caused by Comodo…

As much as I like this firewall for its protection, it is starting to really annoy me with its slowing down of my system, getting worse the more I use it. This now has me to the point whereby I will wait for the update, and see how it does. If it doesn’t allow the pc to run at its normal speed I shall remove Comodo and revert back to Netveda, complete with its lack of support and improvements but at least it had no impact on my system. I would then entrust the greater security to Ghost securities and ProcessGuard (both running all the time)

Update on my situation,

I found that even with the PC sitting idle the CPU usuage would go from about nothing to about 40-50% I actually sawe it get as high as 74.77% last night

It seems to do this every 30-40 seconds which makes the PC feel very laggy & the disc access at this time slows things right down like extracting files or watching a video. Also surfing the net was much slower & pages were takin upto 5 secs to even start to load & pages were sticking on images.

Like i said this is a old PC

700mhz AMD Athlon
640mb ram
120gb hard drive
Geforce 4 graphics
Soundblaster Live

No other firewall has been so ■■■■■■■ the the resources of this box (tried Comodo because of its growing fanbase & the fact v2 beat the leaktests)

Las night i shut my PC down as normal & went to bed, i get up this morning & turn the PC on & everythin had went to hell, Processguard wasnt running right (was ok last night & i didnt do anythin to change the startup options) Got a dialog from it saying that PGAccount wasnt running & it wouldnt be able to intercept execution requests, then i got a little popup box from Comodo saying that the cmdagent service wasnt running & to reinstall. Also all the monitors were off apart from the learn mode in Components section so it basically had a major brain fart & decided to not work & to cause other apps not to work.

I tried rebooting to see if that would fix things but after 3 reboots it was still the same.

I ended up having to unistall it & put on the new version of Outpost which i have to say doesnt take up a lot of resources & doesnt slow down net access.

I like Comodo despite these probs & i am sure the makers will keep tweaking it till it runs better, altho the way of making rules seems a lot different to what im used to (ie with Comodo most net apps need a udp listen rule before they ask for the HTTP access which means that i have two rules for most apps (most other firewalls just prompt for the HTTP access part.

I might try it again when the new update is released.

Hi Guys,

At the site www.sysinternals.com , there is a great free utility called Process Explorer. We would really appreciate if those who could use that utility, watched the process performances of CPF processes : CPF.exe and cmdagent.exe.

To better understand the performance analysis, you may

1- go to “View->Select Columns”
2- click on “Process Performance” tab
3- select “CPU Usage, CPU History, IO Reads, IO Writes, IO Other” checkboxes,

After running Process Explorer and CPF for some time, when you double click on cmgagent.exe and cpf.exe in process explorer, it should give you the complete report about the processes’ performances.

This way we can see where the bottleneck occurs in your systems. You can send us the screenshots of process explorer.

Thank you all for the cooperation.

Egemen

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi egemen,

Thats the app i was using to check the resource usage, have Used Process Explorer for a while now.

When i hear the new update is out i will download it & install it (after removing Outpost) & see if i can get the screenies U want :slight_smile:

I dont know if U are one of the developers or not but i was most worried when i botted the PC today to find that most of Comodo was disabled & wasnt protecting my system, as i said in my last post everything in Comodo was off, ie the app monitor, component monitor (was still in learn mode) & the network monitor.

Any ideas as to what might have caused it to act like that despite the PC being malware free & the fact it was workin ok last night when i shut the PC down?

Egemen, here are my screenshots from Process Explorer, following what you instructed.

I hope it helps

here are my screenshots

Thank you very much guys. I think we have addressed and fixed the issue. It is included in the update that will be released this week.

Now CPF will be much more IO/CPU friendly. We are also working on reducing the peak memory usage of CPF.

Thanks again for the cooperation.

Egemen

Hi egemen.

Those are good news 8)

I’ll look forward for the next update. CPF is by far the most secure and protective firewall. If those issues are addressed then another plus would be added and most of all the performance issues will be fixed.

My best regards for you and all comodo staff

Thanks egemen for the update. :slight_smile: You guys are great! tim

Thanks egemen,

That’s great to hear. Can’t wait for the update.

Mike

Hope this update is imminent, as I got home last night, put the pc on to find bucket loads of aggro all stemming from Comodo. ProcessGuard wouldn’t load, nor Nod32, even Comodo itself.Also Firefox had been totally obliterated, only way out was a system restore at that time.

I can see I need to do a reformat, but I am hoping the update to Comodo arrives soon-as for me to test briefly before I reformat. If it doesn;t, then Comodo will be gone, forgotton and never tried again.

Hi Kentish,

How do you know this all comes from Comodo?

Becasue prior to having Comodo I had Netveda and no issues. I have also made no software changes, added or removed anything. The moment I switched to Comodo, I have had hanging at start-ups, ProcessGuard lock a couple of times, Nod32 has now played up and only a reformat and reinstall will cure it. As I say, prior to Comodo I was trouble free for the last 4 months…put Comodo on and things start to happen. Too big a coincidence don’t you think?

Fair point,

I know the update is fixing some problems as well as what is discussed here so hopefully this will work for you then otherwise you will be missing out on a great product IMO.

I like its security properties, but I need more stable and less of a burden system wise.
Last thing I want is to keep having to reformat and reinstal after each trial attempt.

I just hope the updates quick

I just hope the updates quick

Me too, but, it isn’t something that can really be rushed.

Nope, but sadly my system has been compromised as Nod32 doesn’t proplerly play the game now, and I have trouble trusting Comodo not to cause more problems when I am not around to sort it (if daughters are using my desktop)

You may try uninstalling(not disabling) processguard and see if your problems are solved. CPF should not cause such issues.

I have had hanging at start-ups, ProcessGuard lock a couple of times

ProcessGuard hooks your OS’s system call table. If it enters into a deadlock, you can expect cathastrophic failures.

We will be testing the compatibility of CPF with ProcessGuard.

Good luck,
Egemen

I am looking foward to the update too. On my AMD athlon mobile 1.4 ghz notebook cmdagent.exe uses more than 80% of the cpu at times. When I right click on file, it’s cpu usage spikes and it makes it take a minute for the menu to come up. It seems to spike at diffrent times, during random things.

From having many computers for years, I do not think that problem above is too big a coincidence. I have had many things happen like that, that had nothing to do with the software I had recently installed. It takes alot more research to diagnose a computer problem sometimes.

Ok…after reformatting, fresh reinstal of XP Pro inc sp2, reinstalling all my software, I ran for 3 days on the windows firewall. On the fourth, I installed Netveda. After having no trouble with it initially last time, this time I could just not get it configured properly, plus it was playing up already. Check on this forum, and saw a mention of update through. So I uninstalled Netveda, and installed Comodo again. I had the need to reinstall after that again as it wouldn’t fire up properly, but after that all was fine. 5 minutes after having it running properly, I get the update.
It has made quite a difference to start up and shut down times, and is a lot smoother. I still get some slowdown, but nowhere near as many. I see another update will be out next week, this is looking impressive and like a serious player.