A new leak test application from COMODO ! [CLOSED]

Hi Guys,

We have released a new leak testing application which combines our previously created tests and a new leak test.

While this application was being written, no other firewall than CPF 2.0 or later, was passing all of them. In our tests, all of them failed test 2 and test 3. Feel free to share your results with us.

Enjoy,

Egemen

[attachment deleted by admin]

My firewall failed all 3. I tried to perform the tests but there are no instructions. After allowing CPF to “Tell me about Test 1,2 and 3” it said I had failed.

Test 1 opened IE and stated that I failed - typed words were there.

Test 2 opened Firefox and stated that I failed - typed words were not there. Your firewall didn’t pass the test and transmitted information to our website.
You typed:

Test 3 opened IE and stated that I failed - typed words were there but slightly different. ,"

So then afterwards I Denied all tests.

Test 1 - The page cannot be displayed

Test 2 - No popup - Your firewall didn’t pass the test and transmitted information to our website.
You typed: - typed words were not there.
I allowed this last time and did not restart the computer, could it still be allowed? What did it say so I can try and find it so I can remove it?

Test 3 - The page cannot be displayed

I’ll restart and try to pass.

Tested cpf v2.3.6.81 using auto approve safe app setup. I received popups from all 3 tests.

Pass here ;D but when closing this program, Windows generates an error saying that explorer.exe needs to be restarted. I then loose my taskbar :frowning: and I’m left with just the background :'(.

Starting explorer.exe within task manager a couple of times seems to bring the system up and running again. Just wondering if this happens to anyone else.

:slight_smile:

If you allow test 2 and 3 once, even without remembering, you need to reboot to make CPF forget your answer. Injected DLLs are not asked twice if approved, until a reboot. This is a feature to make sure you dont see the same popup for every application carrying the injected DLL.

So please note this feature while testing.

Egemen

Also note that Test 2 and Test 3 use a brand new DLL Injection technique. Thats why all the other firewalls will fail until their vendors fix them.

Cheers,
Egemen

CPF 2.3.6.81 seems to have passed all 3 tests. Whilst MSIE did open on all 3 tests (with the URL & my typed text clearly visible on then window title), MSIE was denied access to the Net. I sense a different approach here.

.. but when closing this program, Windows generates an error saying that explorer.exe needs to be restarted. I then loose my taskbar :( and I'm left with just the background :'(.

Starting explorer.exe within task manager a couple of times seems to bring the system up and running again. Just wondering if this happens to anyone else.

Yes. The same type of thing happened to me. The 1st test was fine. The 2nd test didn’t seem to do anything. So, I ran the 3rd test. Then CPF produced pop-ups for both (which I denied). When I tried to exit the program the shell crashed, taskbar disappeared. But, I got my taskbar back. I rebooted anyway.

Happens each time I exit this test :(. Not that I’m complaining, just letting others know (just in case).

For Tests 2 and 3, after pressing the button, you need to click somewhere outside the application to make testing start. It is related to the technique used.

Yes i have also seen crashes in explorer.exe but this is not a harmful crash. We will try to fix that.

Anybody tested with other firewalls?

Egemen

What we need are users of Wilder’s forums & DSL Reports forums to post about your new firewall killer. ;D

Well, if you want to call this a firewall ::), I have trend micro 2006 internet suite installed on a snapshot. I only did test 1 (don’t believe any need to go further) ;D

LOL ;D

Perhaps with a warning in regard to explorer crashing and what exactly constitutes a passed test. What is supposed to be displayed when a test is passed?

Thanks to BorderlineCrazy for posting the popups.

Thanks to egemen for the explanation about “If you allow test 2 and 3 once, even without remembering, you need to reboot to make CPF forget your answer.” After rebooting and denying, it appears that I have passed all 3 tests.

Thanks

Test on 98se with OP4 (out of box configuration but no antispy)
No browser open at the beginning of each test.

Test 1 - fail

Test 2 - pass?? Your firewall didn’t pass the test and transmitted information to our website.
You typed:
(no words typed)

Test 3 - fail The comodo page is showing error though. “Dog eat dog” shows up as
Your firewall didn’t pass the test and transmitted information to our website.
You typed: .Dog eat dog" (the period before Dog should be a ( " ) I think).

It appears that Test 1 and 3 use the default browser and Test 2 uses IE. Is that correct?

Comodo passed all three tests (:CLP) (:LOV)
I haven’t even expierienced explorer.exe crash (L) (V)
(:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP)

OMG… You’re right, thanks for pointing that out. :-[ But, I did say “Killer”. :wink:

On my system it opened MSIE all 3 times. Firefox is my default browser. But, it was open at the time of the test.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2121/cpilexedy3.th.jpg

Test 1: 1.alert, 2. DNS Alert, 3.alert.
Test 2: 1.alert, 2. DNS Alert, 3.alert.
Test 3: 1.alert, 2. DNS Alert, 3.alert.

After the test I had to restart due to cpil.exe still sitting in the memory:
I got those pops, when I was trying to use IE: 1.alert, 2. DNS Alert, 3.alert.

Note 1: Explorer.exe crashed during the Test 1 sometimes, I had to restart.
Note 2: I had “Component Control” and “Enable Alerts” disabled during the test.
Note 3: I use CPF with “ABA” and “CC” disabled, so I would not pass none of those.

Zone Alarm Pro passed Test 1, failed tests 2 and 3

Thanks for the result. :slight_smile: