A new leak test application from COMODO ! [CLOSED]

Hello. I have pccillin v7 installed with ie v6. as soon as I downloaded the test file my firewall had a fit. It closed the file access and refused to unzip it. I ran a virus scan on the file and found nothing but the program will “not” let me unzip it. I suppose this is a good thing but it also prevents me from actually running the tests. Any comments?

I’d say that whilst on face value that does appear to be a good thing… I’m not sure that it is. It’s very suspicious, in my mind, that PC-cillin refuses to open a ZIP file & will not say why… it’s almost like it is blocking CPIL on purpose & keeping quiet about it.

Is v7 “PC-cillin Internet Security 2007”?

Hi,

The test program tried to use Firefox, MS IE7, MSN messenger, but not opera 9.02. In all cases CPF popped up a box asking if I wanted to allow or deny. I also run Spyware Terminator with HIPS activated. ST also popped up an allow or deny box.

In all cases I had a “cant find page message” when I denied access via CPF (having said allow in ST, afterall the aim was to test CPF!!).

Roy

Just wanted to add that in my case (Turion64, if that matters), for Test 3, DEP kills explorer before CPF can even react.

Got back to the (old) Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6
Passes em all 3
( The antique isnt so bad afterall - and preforming well )

Hi I just installed Comodo Firewall and tried the CPIL test with Comodo Firewall running and it failed all three tests. What do I do now?

Did you allow anything when CPF pop ups appeared? I suggest you reboot, try the test again and deny access to whatever CPF asks about.

:SMLR

I tried your suggestion and still the same. See Screen shots.

First Screen shot is with IE6

Second Screen shot is with Opera.

Third Screen shot is with IE6

[attachment deleted by admin]

A puzzle. On two pc’s I have tested the firewall on it passes all three tests. If there is nothing in your application rules that would cause CPF to allow the CPIL file access then I am at a loss.

I hope one of the moderators or other experienced forum members sees your post and I am sure they will come up with a solution for you. Sorry I can’t think of anything else to suggest but I will continue thinking about it.

:SMLR

Hi,

If you had allowed it the first time, and selected it to be remembered, then after reboot CFP would allow it to connect anyway.
Check your application monitor and / or componant monitor to make sure there are no entries for ‘cpil’ and if there are, remove them before attempting the test.

Mike

Plus, in the “testing” arena, you should reboot between tests, to clear out memory and get a clean result on each test individually.

LM

OK I have performed each test and re-booted before each test and get the following results.

Is the results shown below the expected results and had the leek test worked?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yes these are correct. By denying these any information being sent should be blocked by CFP. If the information is being sent can you give some information about your system, e.g. OS, CFP version, browsers used, etc.

Mike

First, the firewall works great as far as passing whatever tests are out there. (V)
My only concern is that when I do the cpil.exe test for example and firefox gets involved in the process, or when similar events such as microsoft messenger get involved with a parent application and I go “deny” the whole application is frozen. I have to sometimes restart the computer to unfreeze these applications …actually just log out of my pc user account. (:AGY)
but never-the-less it should shut out the illegal activity not the legal program being hijacked. As an example, the one time, firefox became totally unusable with the leak test. It froze solid or it works fine as far as the browser goes but it was cut off from the internet till I restarted the browser.

Hi urbizzness, welcome to the forums.

Sometimes you need to restart? You should restart/reboot between each test, failing to do so may cause a shell/explorer crash (which to be honest, might happen anyway ;D) & certainly invalidate any subsequent CPIL test. With the application freezing… this might be because of the type of warning that CFP is displaying, if its a relationship pop-up where CPIL “did” something to Explorer & Explorer is the parent of Firefox… that type of message. Then the whole of the explorer-Firefox relationship is probably locked for the current session of explorer.exe, that means a reboot, logoff or an explorer exit (aka. a shell crash). So, IMHO, given the sneaky nature of the CPIL tests… you really should perform a restart between each test. Obviously, you should not tick the “Remember” box for any CPIL denies.

Thanks Grumpy :■■■■

You are not misunderstood.

what happened then, was supposed to happen. Good. (:WIN)

No worries then.
Thanks for the quick reply, and no, I did not check the remember box during the test.

Misunderstood! >:( :wink:

Yes, if you ran 2 or more CPIL tests without rebooting, then you consider yourself very fortunate if the explorer shell is still running. ;D

What are the consequences or explorer.exe crashing have I done permanent damage or lost any data as I am unsure what it does?

explorer.exe is the Windows shell application; it is, in essence, your desktop and file management.

By crashing it does no serious permanent damage, to the best of my knowledge. Until you reboot, it is possible you might notice some instability; simply reboot your computer and you should be fine.

LM

No need to reboot, just logoff and back on.

So yeah explorer crashed on me as well, more than once. Can and is this “bug” going to be fixed? Hope it can and will be…

Thanks!