Scammed by GEEK GUARDIANS

I am new to this forum so I’m sorry if this is the wrong place for my warning. I have just been ripped off, scammed by GEEK GUARDIANS, a company in Abu Dhabi. They intercepted a call by me that I made to Net Gear. They told me I had a Root Kit and I had to pay $500 for a 5yr security contract. Then they hacked into my computer. It was a day before I figured it out.

GEEK GUARDIANS ripoff scam they stole $500 and hacked into my computer. They told me I had a ‘rootkit’ then proceded to hack into my system.

Who are you, the fatherless, offended?

I hope you don’t mind, but I moved your post to a more appropriate section of the forum and gave it a more suitable topic name. However, please feel free to edit the topic to whatever you feel is most appropriate.

I’m sorry to hear about your bad experience with these criminals. I really hope that you did not provide them with any credit card / banking information. If you did the very first thing you should do is contact your financial institutions and cancel any payments.

You should also immediately change all passwords you have for any online accounts. It’s possible they have that.

Also, how do you know that they hacked your computer? How sure are you that they don’t have access?

Please follow the advice I provide in my article about How to Know If Your Computer Is Infected and let me know what you find.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or more details to add.

Thank you.

Please stay on topic. We do not appreciate offending messages against our members,

Thank-you, for your civil and prompt reply. I am hopeful that, since they didn’t have my password to my computer, they couldn’t actually use anything they scanned, or whatever it was they did. I was only hoping to warn other people about this company so they won’t have to go through this.

I took my computer to a reliable shop and they seemed to think no harm was done.

The problem started when I called Netgear because my router, only 6 mo old, failed. The next thing I knew I was talking to an ‘analyst’ who had me log on to a website for a ‘diagnosis’. He scared me by showing me something on the screen that made it look like I had a ‘rootkit’ and it had to be taken care of immediately.

Of course I was very stupid and I was caught off guard. I should have just unplugged my computer and gone out the next day to get a new router. (which is what I did anyway). He was very anxious to get hooked up to my new router and called me the next day. That’s when he apparently started hacking.

So that’s the story. As I say, I’m only trying to prevent others from going through this. I did cancel my credit card and report the fraud. (The next day when my computer crashed.) I did a reset on my new router.

Perhaps it was a criminal pretending to be a legitimate company, although I admit I do not know the company.

nukwoody, can you and Rrolphy please both PM me a link to the webpage where Geek Guardians directed you to? I would like to see if they are the same company, but do not want any links posted in the forum unless it turns out there is something malware related.

Thanks.

I sent you a PM. Please notify me if you’ve received it. I can’t quite figure out this forum.

The latest is, I am trying to return my new Apple AirPort Extreme which now does not work; it prevents my email from functioning; even after two resets. And I will have to replace my Time Machine if it can’t be cured of a virus it now has.

Do you mean that your router is not working. I doubt that this is related to malware, but perhaps someone else will be able to provide suggestions. Does it work well for everything other than email?

What is your Time Machine? If you’re talking about your computer did you ever follow the advice I give in my article about How to Know If Your Computer Is Infected? If not then please do and let us know what you find. This will tell us what to do next.

Thanks.

I have been trying to use my I phone in my living room, right next to my computer. It gives me a failure message. Then when I unplug the power to my new router, suddenly, it sends and receives mail just fine. Time Machine is the name of my back up device that was plugged in when I was hacked. When I plugged it in into my Mac which came back from the shop with an updated new hard drive (I needed because mine was nearly full) and newly loaded software (7) my virus scan said it was infected. I can’t send any files to anyone at this point. This has been too difficult for me as it is.

Does resetting the Airport to factory defaults do the trick?

Time Machine is the name of my back up device that was plugged in when I was hacked. When I plugged it in into my Mac which came back from the shop with an updated new hard drive (I needed because mine was nearly full) and newly loaded software (7) my virus scan said it was infected.
A recap. There three devices that use: a Mac computer, iPhone and a Windows computer? Is that correct? Your Mac uses an external HD for Apple's Time Machine, correct?

What computer was entered by the Geek Guardian people? Viruses are reported on both the Mac and Windows PC?

I can't send any files to anyone at this point. This has been too difficult for me as it is.
What do you mean? Send files over the local network or trying to send files as attachments to emails?

See if the reset of Airport does the trick.

Well, They hacked into my Mac Pro desktop and MacBook Pro laptop. Also they went directly into the new router and set something up in it. I have already reset it twice. It’s now at the shop awaiting exchange. When I said I wasn’t up to sending in files, I was referring to the instructions in the section on determining if one has malware.

I don’t know about whether Mac uses an external HD to run Time Machine. What would that mean? It’s black box that sits on top of the tower and plugs in separately, if that’s what you mean.

Also, yes, I do have 2 IPhones and an IPad, as well.

The update on this is tha t Apple was kind enough to exchange the damaged router. It is now up and running. I’m waiting to hear from the bank. I sent them a letter which they requested; describing exactly what happened.

Glad the router is replaced and you’re up and running again. Let us know if the bank can help you out getting a refund.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Sadly, this is a common tactic overseas companies are using to extort money from people. This is just one of the many reasons I refuse to offer service contracts or take payment before a job is finished.

• Dan

Update; the bank has refunded my money. Geek Guardians has some time (45 days from when they received my letter) to respond with a reason why they are justified in keeping the money.

Oddly, they called me AGAIN! Did not identify themselves. The call came in ‘unknown’ my husband happened to pick up. The man with an eastern accent said his name was ‘Lou’. He said he somehow knew that our computer was leaking information. A very strange call, indeed! My husband cursed at him and said we would trace the call and “get the Feds on him”. So he hung up. Pretty odd. I guess they were attempting to get us to say we needed this security service after all?

Congratulations on getting the refund through your bank.

Let’s see if they pursue to fight the refund. Probably not as it is too expensive and it is probably easier to continue like they do… :frowning: :-X

I just want to clarify; this company was from India, Abu Dhabi was the name on the telephone when the call came in. I know it was in India because the man who told me I was being hacked mentioned what time it was there in India. I’m glad so many people are seeing this and are getting this information. I think these guys have somewhat changed their operation, but you still need to be careful, especially if they intercept a call as they did with me in the beginning. I thought I was talking to someone at ‘Netgear’ about my broken router.