XP is out of mainstream support on April 14th!

Yes, and you can still get security updates for service pack 3 until 2014.

You can back up your files.
MS will provide a tool which is ‘Windows Easy Transfer’ for XP users.
It can transfer files and windows options to Removable disks(usb, dvd etc).
Also there was XP SP3 downgrade edition.
(It had been sold from jun.26 2009~JAN.31 2010.)
Somebody who bought ‘downgrade edition’ can upgrade License to Windows7 with free of charge.

I can say just like this.
Windows XP is the same as Windows 98.
Windows Vista is the same as early version of Windows ME.
Windows7 is the same as early version of windows XP.

In case of Vista user, MS gives free upgrade License to Vista users.
Don’t worry Soy joy.

OS upgrading(License required)
Windows XP>Windows 7 : Only Clean installation.
Windows vista>Windows 7: Clean installation/Upgrade installation.

No I’m not worried.
I just hope it’s not another ME/Vista.

Because that’s the impression I get, when I visit Windows 7’s “what’s new” feature page.
Just some cosmetics upgrades.

No.
Soy joy.

I have Windows 7 beta system and Vista system.

Windows 7 is completely different from Windows Vista.
Forget windows Vista.

Windows 7 is very fast.
I can truly say windows 7 is better then Vista and XP.
Trust me. Windows 7 works really great.

There are some people who don’t understand ‘MS Lifecycle Policy’.

So, let me explain shortly.

MS provide us 2 big support systems.
1.Mainstream support
: provide Security patch, bug fix etc for all people with free of charge.

2.Extended support
: provide Security patch,bug fix etc only for Corporate Companies.(not for public people)

Questions.

1.I’m a HOME user. Is MS going to support me after finished Mainstream support?

-NO, MS will not provide you any patch, bug fix etc.There is no more support.
2.I’m a HOME user. Is MS going to support me with Extended support?

-NO, Extended support is only for Corparate users.

3.I’m a Corparate user. My company has Maintenance and Support contract with MS.
Is MS going to support me?

-YES, MS will provide you patch, bug fix etc until 2014.

4.I’m a corparate user. My company doesn’t have any Maintenance and Support contract with MS.
Is Ms going to support me?
-NO, you should make a contract with MS.(money required)

5.Ok, I’m a HOME user. Can I make a contract with MS with payment?
-NO, MS will not accept it. So forget and go to bed.

If you really want to understand the Policy, please visit following link.
Read deeply and carefully please.

Oh this is just brilliant >:(

So I’ve got to shell out money to UPGRADE my XP license, then go and BUY Vista, then go and BUY Windows 7?!

There’s three computers in this house! >:( >:(

Please enlighten me if I’m wrong, this is just how I’ve interpreted this thread.

Thanks for all the replies, guys :slight_smile:

A very annoyed Beanie

I think if you have any plan to buy windows,
buy windows 7 with you XP license.
It will be better for money saving.

Also we don’t know yet what MS is exactly going to do.
They always change the plan…
There will be new announcement sooner or later.

It’s just that I think the push to upgrade to W7 will be even greater than the one to upgrade to Vista 88)

Also we don't know yet what MS is exactly going to do. They always change the plan... There will be new announcement sooner or later.

I really hope so :cry:

Beanie

Sorry but I am not the one having a problem understanding the windows lifecycle.

XP Home Edition - Extended Support to 2014

All you lose when in Extended Support is warranty stuff, phone support and non security updates.
You still get Security updates and have access to Help site and knowledge base articles.

The people with corporate contracts can, for money, continue to get all services with contracts.
Do you see now?

Later

I myself do find it difficult to wrap my mind around the current licensing and support policy. It is a little tricky to understand. (I remember when I couldn’t figure out the OEM rules too, finally did).

But I’m pretty sure they are saying you gotta be up to SP3 to continue on. Though I don’t know how they would treat re installs of older XP disks trying to update to SP3. My experience is MS is very friendly in this department.

Anyway, tomorrow I’m gonna turn on Auto updates and go and see if I can download some non security update. Then I’ll know what’s going on, maybe.

But boy, if this was the end of security updates for XP for me, then the machine I’m using right now is dead! It can’t run Vista, and didn’t run 7 well enough. Kinda sad.

Hi Sandwater,

No, that is not “the end” :slight_smile: of it.
The security updates are coming and will continue until 2014.
You should get 10 patches today for XP (few for Office 2007 included).
They are still coming for win 2000. I am not sure how friendly “they” are :slight_smile: , but updates for win98 were extended in the past for 2 years after the very end of a “complete end” (I’m not sure if that’s precise figure).

During the Extended Support phase, non-security hotfixes will be available to Premier customers for a fee via the Extended Hotfix Support (EHS) program.
That is applied to things like new bugs discovered during the Extended Support phase (bugs in OS and alike). I hope we are not expecting a lot of those.

Since this was not referenced yet in the thread - here is another link
http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/04/13/microsoft-xp-is-supported-through-april-2014.aspx

Cheers

OEM rules are really funny.
MS does not support OEM products after finishing Mainstream support.
The Extended support is provided by the companies which purchased OEM products from MS.
It means OEM companies(ex. DELL, HP etc) will provide support from now on.

As long as there are security fixes Iam happy… :o :slight_smile: :-TU :-TU

Hi Monkey_Boy=),

And sure we all are happy :slight_smile: because many are not going to use Vista (me included)
I will try win 7. But I always have my Ubuntu handy here anyway :-TU.

Cheers

Ms announced they will provide only security updates until March 8.2014.

And OEM companies can sell PCs which is based on XP from now on.
Also OEM companies can make their PC to downgrade to XP from the period of 6month after releasing Windows 7.
We don’t know when they will change it again… ;D

The Research Result from ‘Dimensional Research’ shows us follow result.
97% of 1100 IT professinals said the companies use windows XP system.

Anyway, Monkey_Boy.
Have you ever tried to change the name of files that what I told you?

Hello SiberLynx. =)

Personally I will not upgrade my XP to win7, since the hardware on that is starting to get a bit too old to run or do the stuff that I want, I bet the hardware will dysfunction soon anyway. :o

If I get win7, then I get it along with a new computer! =)

You mean rename my hotgirl1 hotgirl2 and so on files… No I have not. I have to get home to try that… Iam stuck at my Gf’s house atm… She is not letting me out, “sit at the computer comodo needs you” she says… Lol…
(she did not say that…) 88) EDIT:: thanks for the suggestions anyway! I will look into it.

Monkey_Boy=),

I didn’t mean an upgrade to Win7 and despite this PC will handle Win7 that experiment will be carried on the new computer too :wink:

As for using older PC, when it’s time - don’t through it away.
Install Linux. Use Ubuntu for more contemporary one and install Xubuntu on very old one with as little memory as 128-225MB It will fly faster than Vista :smiley:
… all hardware will be recognized and you are on-line in no time … excellent stuff!

Cheers

Do not guess if you don’t have any experiences with Windows 7.

Windows 7 is much more faster than Windows XP with low level hardware system, and very stable.

ex) Windows 7 is faster than XP even under 600Mhz CPU system.Many people already tested it.

There is only one problem, much more HDD capacity required compare with XP.

Hi Creasy,

I am not guessing. Based on what that strong conclusion was made?
I have experience with Win7. I am not calling myself serious win7 beta tester, but I have access to it any time I want and I’m checking how things working “piece by piece”
I would not say that it is really great experience but the live one. I am not the one who likes to show my overconfidence and express overrated knowledge claims.
We all are learning and I like the process.

I did not touch the topic regarding Win7 and speed at all. My reply to Monkey_Boy=) was about “not upgrading”…
… and then about Vista and my experience with Ubuntu/Xubuntu installed on old PCs and a bit of a joking about Vista :wink: (why not?), but there is a big part of truth in that joke.
Sure the installation and working with (X)Ubuntu was pure pleasure on the same old PCs compare to win2000 and XP running on those wracks.

I was running Vista on the same dual-core alongside with XP. Sure Vista was a joke regarding performance. Well it is known fact but it is not the main topic here.

As for win7 it is much better then Vista regarding performance , but currently I don’t see a big leap if any (again on one given hardware configuration) compare to XP.
If as a result (final) it will be faster and outperforming XP who will complain? :)… but not yet.
As a matter of fact I saw few reviews. What surprised me was how it’s measured.
I don’t think that using some kinda scale from, say 1 to 3 is correct way to present data (1 better 3 worse).
Probably some may agree. The example: XP writing big file - 2; Vista - 3, win7-1. The same way all other tests are presented.
So, win7 is faster in this particular area. Ok. But how? Is it 1% increase in performance or 25%? Such figures would be more appropriate.

Well,… we’ll see closer to final & final releases. I don’t have great expectations about OS itself by many reasons (Offtopic) but definitely I will be glad to see much better design and performance than XP has.
I am not considering Vista as well developed OS at all – rather pushed to the market beta test for Win7

My regards

Many people who are testing Windows 7 feels fast, great performance etc.
But you don’t see big leap?
You told us “win7 is faster in this particular area”.
particular area?

I can’t believe it…If you have any experience with Windows 7 you can’t say that again.
Your experience is completely different from other testers including me.
How can I say?
If you see any differences with following results, your PC may have some kind of problem.
What is you version of Windows 7?(I’m using build.7077 X64 Ultimate)

There are some results of testing by testing groups.
Check this out.
Results with build.6956
(7077 is better than 6956)

[attachment deleted by admin]