wireless printer help

How do I get my wireless printer to print w/o having to disable the firewall each time?

Thanks,Daniburd

You need to do two things. First you need to define your local network and then make it trusted using the Stealth Ports Wizard.

You need to make your local network a trusted zone.

First look up your IP address and subnet mask. In Windows go to Start → Run → cmd → enter → ipconfig → enter → now lookup your IP address and subnet mask.

Second create a zone in My Network Zones (Firewall → Network Security policy). Choose Add → A New Network Zone → fill in a name like My local network → Apply.

Now select My Local Network Zone → Add → A new address → choose An IP Address Mask → fill in your local IP something like 192.168.1.x usually and your subnet mask; usually 255.255.255.0 → Apply. Now check and see the new network defined. Exit using Apply.

Now we are going to use the Stealth Ports Wizard to make your local network a trusted network:
Choose “Define a new trusted network and stealth my ports to EVERYONE else” → Next → choose “I would like to trust an existing My Network Zone” → choose your local network zone from the drop down box at the bottom → Finish.

Now check your Global Rules and see your network added.

Hello,
I have the same issue with my new HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910a Wifi : I am not able to print from any laptop (we have several laptops in the family at home) without disabling our Comodo Firewall installed on each of our laptops.
I did the actions recommended by Eric but the problem remains unsolved.
Many thanks in advance for your help and support
JL

Can you show me screenshots of Global Rules, the application rule for System and the firewall logs of around the time you are trying to print something? The logs can be found under View Firewall Events.

I am having the same problem with my firewall and new HP 8500 A910a wireless printer. I cannot get any of my laptops to print to new printer unless I disable firewall. The previous solution was tried without success and I even tried using the printer address which did not work either. Please help.

Miranda. Thanks for your PM. Read the following mini tutorial I made about how to take and post screenshots.

How to post a screenshot?

To copy a screenshot of the active window push alt+print screen to copy the active window to the clipboard (pushing print screen will copy the complete window to the clipboard not just the active window). The window is now copied to the clipboard. Paste the image in any image editing program, Paint, Paint.net, the Gimp etc. Use the “crop” function to resize the canvas to size of the image. Now save the file as 32 bits png image.

At the forum push the reply button. Or when using the Quick reply type some text and push the preview button.

Underneath the text box click on Additional options. Push the Choose button and navigate to the file and select it. When you want to post more images click on the more attachments link.

When done typing push the Post or Preview button.

Thanks for the screenshot lesson, Eric. Attached are per your request.
MirandaMars :a0

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for the images.

Please give all the HP related programs in Application Rules the Trusted policy and see if that helps or not.

How to do that? Select a file → Edit → select Use a Predefined Policy → select Trusted Application. Then Apply and OK your way back to the Application Rules screen. Do this for all HP files.
When done close the Application Rules screen with OK.

Hi Eric,
Don’t think my last post went through so I’ll try it again. I am attaching a screen print for your review. After completing the changes you suggested my printer still did not work. I disabled my firewall and it worked without a problem. I’m sure there is just some kind of small conflict that can easily be corrected if we can just find the sucker!

Thanks for your help with this issue.

MirandaMars

[attachment deleted by admin]

Did you have other security programs in the past? May be left overs of previously installed security programs are in the way. Try using removal tools for those programs. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

Otherwise do a Google search with terms “removal tool” and * name of product or vendor*.

Let us know if that made a difference or not.

Do you have other security programs or programs that interfere with networking installed? What happens when you disable them?