WinPE with CBU added - How to?

Appendix 3 of CBU v3 manual isn’t making much sense to this WinPE novice with regard to adding CBU to the PE image. I should be very grateful if someone would offer an idiot’s guide to adding CBU (or any application) to WinPE.

I haven’t created the WinPE (64-bit) image yet, but I’ve some good instructions on how to do that: it’s just the addition of CBU (or other) that I’m still not sure about.

Hi

You should add the entire CB installation folder to the WinPE disk.
If you have Windows Vista you should also add OleDlg.dll from \Windows\System32 to CB folder.
The user guide is still being improved.

Thanks

Emanuel,

Thanks for your reply, which answered my specific question. The “penny dropped” finally and I think I get it now.

Still one question though: you (and Guide - Appx 3) mention specific requirement for copying System32 file to CBU folder with Vista. Does this apply to Windows 7 also? I ask because I have come across so many program guides etc that have not been updated to include Win 7 references and I am aware of Vista and Win7 similarities (compared to Win XP).

No,
The oledlg.dll file is only needed for vista PE.
If you have Windows 7, there shouldn’t be any problems.

Thanks

Thank you. Comforting to know I will have a CBU recovery disk at last. Having helped recover 3 dead PCs in past year, I shall now be “insisting” that friends use CBU routinely.

How do I add CB to the WinPE folder before the ISO is generated?

Do I use WinBuilder or PEImg?
Do I need both?

Is PEImg with Windows 7 the best option?

Please Clarify!!??? :slight_smile:
(I am a technician, but am thoroughly confused by all these options!)

TIA
Michael.

You can use MagicISO.
We will update the guide these days with the exact steps.

Yes. Windows 7 is best option because it supports most network cards and you can even restore a backup from internet.

Thanks

As per Appendix 3, I have built a VistaPE bootable disk using WinBuilder. This works OK. Following your suggestion, I am attempting to use MagicISO to add CBU. Unfortunately, adding any content (even a single DLL) causes MagicISO to freeze (at about 95%) when attempting to save the new ISO file. I have found that if I remove the ‘Rock Ridge’ setting then MagicISO can save the file; however, the subsequent CD will not boot.

I hope a solution can be found to creating a ‘rescue’ CD, as I regard this facility as essential.

Following on from my previous message, MagicISO seems unable to save (in a new file) an unaltered ISO image. I can’t believe that a product has been released with such a problem, so what am I doing wrong?!?

MagicISO opens the ISO file generated by WinBuilder perfectly OK, so there must be some piece of magic (excuse the pun) that I am unaware of, which would enable me to save the image.

Hello,

Please see again this online help section which has been updated Comodo Help - “Add Comodo BackUp to the VistaPE image”. We also post a screenshot on how to add the Comodo BackUp directory to the .iso file. After you add the directory, just save the .iso by clicking on the Save button. This should work with no problems. Please let us know if you succeeded with this issue!

Thank you for your support!

Ilona,

Thank you for your response - I should have checked that you had updated your documentation.

Unfortunately, it has not fixed the problem. I had been adding the COMODO folder by ‘drag and drop’ rather than using the ‘Add directory’ button, but I guess the result is the same. When I try to save the file, it gets to 95% and then sits there pretending it’s moving pieces of paper! I have to kill the program manually.

I am using the unregistered version of MagicISO (version 5.5, build 0281). It claims to be able to save images up to 300 MB (mine is about 245 MB), but perhaps they are lying. Could this be the problem? I don’t mind paying for MagicISO, but if it doesn’t work…

I realise that this is a MagicISO, not a COMODO, problem, but they don’t provide support for unregisteed versions, and as you suggest using it I thought it might be useful to others if I leave my comments here.

Hello,

MagicIso is just a proposal, you can try with any other .iso burner software. As long as your .iso image is not larger than 300MB (including Comodo BackUp install directory) it should work on trial versions.

Ilona,

I have software that can burn ISO images, but first I have to create the .iso file!! Can you suggest any alternatives to MagicISO? (PEImg looks daunting!)

I have posted a question to MagicISO concerning my problem - I will let you know of any reply I receive.

Progress - of sorts.

I used UltraISO (in place of MagicISO) and this was able to save an ISO image with the COMODO folder added. The resulting CD boots-up OK, and I was able to start cbu.exe from the COMODO folder on the CD. However, CBU reports start-up problems, specifically that cbufs.sys, BDisk.sys, CBReparse.sys, cbvd.sys, cbvdbus.sys and cbunat.exe are not working properly. The program is still running well enough to do a backup and restore of a file folder. The ultimate test is to see if it can restore a system backup - because that is what a rescue disk is needed for! (I need more time for that.)

It looks as if I need to know much more about WinBuilder/VistaPE, and how to intrgrate CBU into the ISO image.

Hello,

In order to restore your backup files is not necessary to have those drivers working. Comodo BackUp reports those problems because you didn’t install the application, you just copied its install directory, which is enough in order to restore any .cbu file.

Ilona,

I realised the errors were because the items hadn’t been installed within VistaPE; what I didn’t know was whether CBU needed any of them.

It didn’t. I have just completed the restore of a system image onto a different disk and it worked like a dream - and twice as fast as some other products I could mention.

I will now stop boring you with my backup activities!