Windows update to update?

Anybody using Windows 7 check your Windows update. It asks me to install new Windows update software? Say what? Anybody can confirm that this is legit? Can’t find it in the news. I already installed patch against flame virus.

What does it say the update is for? Can you post the details including the url to the description of the update?

I am currently working on Win 8 RP and there is an update for Visual C++ 2010 package. More details: MS11-025: Description of the security update for Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package: April 12, 2011 - Microsoft Support . I had the Visual C++ 2010 package installed yesterday while installing the ATI Catalyst driver suite.

I am also requesting people start being careful what words they type as there are also ‘young’ members on here!
(this thread’s heading for example).

The Blog Post.

The kb.

[s]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2720211[/s] EricJH cites the correct kb. next post.

Just did it.

Bad

Oddly the kb. doesn’t seem to reflect my OS as being directly applicable, yet a check for updates does indeed update the updater.

That’s for the server environment.

I just updated on Win 7,but not before I made a system restore point, of course. After installation I could retrieve this link: Update Windows Update Agent to latest version - Windows Client | Microsoft Learn .

This is the second step in hardening Windows update after Microsoft first dealt with the certificate problem.

Thanks for that.

I got the right update and attributed it to the related, but wrong kb. 88)

Bad

I just get this. Update is for updating Windows update LOL! No url details. Just this pic:

Bigger pic: http://s16.postimage.org/6lqlm9l8l/image.jpg

Okay Mr. Moderator :slight_smile: Won’t do it again :slight_smile: Sorry :a0

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that but Microsoft said that they will release the patch on Tue. Not this weekends.

This is an out of band update like the one earlier this week where the certificate problem was handled. On rare occasion Microsoft will deviate from the monthly cycle when it is really needed.

I have a quadruple boot. I got the update on XP, Vista and Win 7 but not yet on Win 8.

I see. Well for me if it’s not one thing it’s another! LOL! My update failed and it won’t come back LOL! Did it actually installed on your system with green bar loading? Or what?

I noticed that during the installation it disappears from the taskbar but returns.

If the problem persists try Windows System Update Readiness Tool.

Greetings all,

The “Update of the Updater” (as in image posted by Seany007) must be a legit one… promised by MS due to “flame” - they have done enough keeping that security hole in secret for so long (I have no doubts… in purpose ;))

Now it is time to move on … leaving behind something else for similar “federal trojan development” ;D

The thing is I did not get anything like this yet when recently (2 hours ago) checking Win Updates on Win 7 x64… hmmm

Cheers!

I still have prob with this update it won’t come back. Looks like Microsoft pulled it back if you don’t get it as well. Hhhmmm ???

340.6 MB? LOL! :slight_smile: Thanks :slight_smile: I will try…

The update of Windows Update Agent is indeed a legit one as explained in the link given by EricJH

Improvements made to version 7.6.7600.256 of the Windows Update Agent Hardened Windows Update infrastructure so that the Windows Update client will only trust files signed by a new certificate that is used solely to protect updates to the Windows Update client. Strengthened the communication channel used by Windows Update Client to protect it in a similar way.

Is it that big these days? Last year it was around 124 MB.

Nothing works can’t get an update after error… Anybody still have the same problem?

I think we have to wait a lil bit

There are discrepancies :

What Eric posted (the link & stuff) is completely different to what we are talking about “the updater update” regarding closing “flame hole”

… please read again what was posted here by Boris & me & in other threads/forums

… just Search this & other forums for “flame” - that is not about “Windows System Update Readiness Tool” at all as far as I am concerned

So they(!) decided eventually to “insert a tampon” to this one, since it was discovered
&
sure leaving other holes (known to them) for other “federal trojans” :wink:

Correct me if I am wrong please

Cheers all!

I get it but by the looks of it Microsoft withdrawn the update. No idea why :-\ LOL for the rest ;D