Windows Installer - Backup Dell-installed programs activates

Hi.

Once I installed CIS, I start seeing pop-up “Windows Installer”, saying “Prepare to install” and the software being installed is “Backup Dell-installed programs”.

I verified that after I removed CIS, the problem stops.

It is a nuisance - what do I do?

When does that pop up happen? During boot time?

Install CIS again and provide us with a screenshot of the D+ logs. They can be found under View Defense + Events.

This is it. You can zoom up.

Yes, it happens when Windows XP (I have XP home ed) already shows desktop and icons and when the resident programs (those shown on the right, together with Comodo) start booting .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Can you show a a screenshot where I can read the full paths of the applications that are being logged?

Do you have “Block all unknown requests if the application is closed” enabled? Try disabling it and see what that brings.

The D+ logs also show that Avast is getting blocked while creating a process. In case CIS is causing problems with Avast 5 you may want to check out this workaround by Ragwing.

—Can you show a a screenshot where I can read the full paths of the applications that are being logged?—

here are two with both apps and targets expanded

Also, a screenshot of the installer.

----Do you have “Block all unknown requests if the application is closed” enabled? Try disabling it and see what that brings.-------

No I don’t.

----The D+ logs also show that Avast is getting blocked while creating a process. In case CIS is causing problems with Avast 5 you may want to check out this workaround by
Ragwing. -------------

No there was no problem. Both worked fine.

PS. So far I had to uninstall the CIS as at some point the installer stalled the whole system without doing much for 15 minutes, and it kept repeating itself.

PPS. Now that I remember it my father’s computer (Also a DELL Laptop, Inspiron, Dual Core Pentium), also with WIN XP, had the same problem; It also started when someone else got him the CIS.

However my wife’s laptop, DELL Latitude, Core Duo, Win XP does not have the problem.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thx for the images.I know see what the error is that being reported about the Dell program.

Did you (recently) uninstall or delete pre installed programs that came delivered with the computer?

No, I have not. Not recently. and certainly not intentionally. The configuration has been stable ever since I installed XP 9.5 years ago. The computer itself is DELL DIMENSION 8100.
Processor - P4, 1.4GHz. (this is why it is still sufficient and works just fine).

PS. Not sure if it has something to do with something, but seems like the very first time I installed CIS, it did put some things in the Sandbox before I had time to react. One of those things was some sort of Quicklauncher for MS Office. It seems like the Installation started happening ever since.

But again - now that I removed the CIS, it does not happen anymore.

PPS. I also tried to “rehab” all the sandboxed programs, declaring them good known ones, but that did not help.
PPPS. This keep happening even if I disable all three protections - AV, Firewall and that other one, forgot…
Only the full uninstall stops it from happening.

Make sure that files are not at the same time in Unreconised Files and Trusted Files.

Can you post a screenshot of your Active Programs?

I think some files that start with Windows belonging to Dell may be getting sandboxed without being noticed by CIS. See App. is not working correctly, but does not seem to be s/boxed. What to do? [v5] for reference.

Try adding the complete installation folder of the Dell specific programs to the Buffer Overflow Exlusions.