will the comodo firewall slow down my connection??

will the comodo firewall slow down my connection??

i dont know is just my feeling or something else… my connection is a little bit slower after i install the firewall…are there anyone have the same problem as me??I am using an Ethernet adopter from comcast…

G’day coldest and welcome to the forums.

Every firewall (no exceptions) will introduce some overhead to a system, by the very nature of what it is doing - examining every packet of data coming in or going out of a system. It’s an unavoidable consequence of adding another software layer to your system, but the degree of introduced lag does vary from firewall to firewall.

CFP is, IMHO, one of least lag-inducing firewalls available. As a comparison, check other forums and see what other users say about the lag effect caused by Nortons Firewall. I’ve never run Nortons Firewall on one of my systems, but have used it on several other PCs and the effect is very noticeable.

You can tune the performance of CFP to a certain extent. If you open CFP and click on SECURITY - ADVANCED - APPLICATION BEHAVIOUR ANALYSIS, there are a handful of options that can be turned on or off. Under SECURITY - ADVANCED - ADVANCED ATTACK DETECTION AND PREVENTION, you can also turn off “Do Protocol Analysis”.

Please bear in mind that adjusting these settings does alter the level of protection provided. Turning them off won’t leave you hanging on a limb however, you’re still protected by the network monitor and the application monitor.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

thanks for the information panic…
one more thing i wanna ask you… how can i make the best advance security configuration in comodo firewall or how you set yours?

Actually I’ve run Norton Internet Security 2005 Anti-Spyware Edition on my systems. It had the built in firewall along with anti-virus as you probably know. I’m now trying Comodo.

While using Norton IS 2005, my transfer rates over the internal 10mbps wired LAN set up here at home averaged 5.3mbps while xfering 4.5Gb .iso files.

Using Comodo v2.4.18.184, I’m getting much slower xfer rates, 3.8mbps . Now that’s noticeable.

I think that the faster your connection the more diference you will see with any firewall it willl also depend on your CPU and Memory and Bus speed of your PC, Here in Ecuador the land of very expensive and slow BB connections it does not make much Diff

They call 128/128 broadband
The Fastest available to consumers 800/300 Kbps and that´s US$125.00
hopefully that will change The are trying to put in Trans Pacific trunk to some where right now everything goes thru NAPs in Colubia or Peru.

I was used to 10MBps in the U.S. and I did not pay anything for it as I worked For Bell South.
I feel so deprived (:SAD) (:SAD) (:SAD) (:SAD)

Opus

I know how you feel Opus. When I lived in the UK I had BB, now I’m back on dial-up, Oh my it hurts!!!

If CFP slowed down my connection, it would stop!

I’ve just run a test using SpeakEasy. I have Comcast 8M service and i saw no difference in the speed tests with Comodo and without. In order to make sure I wasn’t looking at a bias from the speedtest server, i tried several different servers (some close by to my location and some as far as I could reach). i saw no difference in speed on any speed test i tried.

Actually I've run Norton Internet Security 2005 Anti-Spyware Edition on my systems. It had the built in firewall along with anti-virus as you probably know. I'm now trying Comodo.

While using Norton IS 2005, my transfer rates over the internal 10mbps wired LAN set up here at home averaged 5.3mbps while xfering 4.5Gb .iso files.

Using Comodo v2.4.18.184, I’m getting much slower xfer rates, 3.8mbps . Now that’s noticeable.

wen u come to compare, not only ‘FW’ make sense, but the level of protection is relevent here.

CPF is very aggressive at first, it certainly may slow down ur connection but guarantee a better security. However, after a while wen cpf learn enuf, it’ll giv u back ur speed.