Why is cmdagent.exe constantly writing the disk at 200kb/sec = 17Gb/day?

Launch perfmon.exe /res and behold, cmdagent.exe is constantly writing to “c:\Program Data\Comodo\Cis\lmdb\cmddata”. And it’s not a small volume, 200kbyte/sec, that’s 17 Gb per day, for nothing.

UPDATE: if I disable HIPS then cmddata writes drop to zero. Why is my SSD constantly grinded when HIPS is turned on?

I’d like to know why also. 17GB a day? That’s insane… :o
Thank goodness I’m not using an SSD, but I’ll think twice about using HIPS in Comodo if I get an SSD in the future.

And how long have you observed this write rate? Also is cmdagent using a high amount of CPU utilization? It sounds like something is interfering with cmdagent from completing its task. Does the HIPS log have many repeating entries of an application being blocked from performing some action?

And how long have you observed this write rate?
Any time I checked with perfmon I always saw something significant.

is cmdagent using a high amount of CPU utilization?
no

Does the HIPS log have many repeating entries of an application being blocked from performing some action?
Good point logs were turned off to reduce disk writes. I’ll turn them on and keep checking them.

I don’t understand why this thing needs to persist anything to disk, other than the configuration.

very strange, I use the beta and stable version. Even on an outdated PC this does not happen;

This can happen in some settings such as:
problematic disk, waste of other uninstalled applications, corrupted system installation …
try it sfc /scannow (windows +R)

Hello asdfasdfasdfasdf,

Thank you for reporting.Let me know your CIS version?
Could you please enclose the screenshot of the file path C:\ProgramData\Comodo\Cis\lmdb and also please check your inbox for PM and provide us the requested logs for further investigations.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
PD

I recently discovered such a problem. When the computer is at rest, its token disk is loaded with some program. I decided to find out what kind of application it is in the task manager. It turned out to be %PATH_TO_CIS%\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe. The list of the task manager also contains the application %PATH_TO_CIS%\COMODO Internet Security\cavwp.exe / ModeAvMonitor-Embedding. cavwp.exe practically does not consume resources.

When I click on the CIS icon in the tray and close the program, the overload the hard disk stops. If I run COMODO Internet Security, then the application %PATH_TO_CIS%\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe starts actively loading the token disk again

What methods of solving this problem exist?
How can you even determine what the CIS program is doing at the moment and what is the reason for the unjustified disk overload?
What utilities can be used to determine which files are accessed by COMODO?

the crutch, not a solution:
I found one strange way to fix this behavior, but this is not the solution to the problem. After the computer has rebooted, it is necessary to disable and enable the firewall without turning off all other CIS components (antivirus, auto-containment, content-filter, HIPS, Viruscope). Click the left mouse button on the CIS icon in the tray. Select Firewall from the list, select Disable in the sub-item. We confirm disabling the firewall in the pop-up window again. Loading to disks decrease. Now you can turn the firewall back on and the bug is no longer observed until the next restart of the Windows 10 x64 operating system.

Suggest, until the bug is fixed (developers rarely read forums at all and fix bugs) is it possible to write a command-line script that would disable and enable the firewall automatically?

Hi python_don,

could you please check your Inbox for PM and provide us the requested logs.

C.O.M.O.D.O RT,
The response has been sent. Check your inbox.

Hi python_don,

Thanks for providing the requested log, we will forward the log to developers for investigation and update you.

And here’s another thing I found.

If you restart Windows Explorer without restarting the operating system (This can be done using the Task Manager), then the same problem occurs. But, in this case, the disk load is less. The crutch for the solution is the same.

The process cmdagent.exe is constantly writing on the Windows installation disk.
I have Windows 10 and Comodo 12.2.2.8012.

The computer is only 6 months old with new hardware and a clean Windows 10 installation.
There’s about 90GB used out of 460GB on the OS drive, and about 12.8TB written in 6 months according to Samsung Magician.

Resource Monitor indicates that cmdagent.exe is writing constantly to the file ‘cmddata’.
The rate of the writing is indicated by Resource Monitor as being between 600KB/s and 1100KB/s.

When I look into this file, there’s some data for the first half, and then it’s only 0s with nothing else. This file is about 500MB, with about 250MB of pure 0.
About the data in this file, it is quite strange, it has nothing to do with any website I could have visited or any software I have installed.
Things like ‘Houston Mercantile Exchange LLC’ or ‘Spencer Grant Inc’ which I have never heard of or used in any way (especially since I’m not living in the United States of America…).
Would this file contain some ads-related information by any chance?
In addition, this file contain a list of the executable files on my computer.

Anyway, at that writing rate, Comodo Firewall will destroy my SSD in a few years only.
Not counting the fact that writing so much data per second is using other hardware resources such as memory and CPU.

Is there an option to make Comodo stop writing to the ‘cmddata’ file (or at least to reduce the writing rate to a few KBs per hour, not second)?
If not, will Comodo Firewall still work if I delete that file, and create a new one with the same name but read-only protected so that Comodo will not be able to write in it?
If not, what solution would you propose, except from uninstalling Comodo which is quite a fine firewall and which I’d like to keep?

Hi gladyon,

Sorry for the inconvenience, Could you please check your inbox for Private message and respond.

Thanks,
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi,

Checking my disk usage (SSD) here and there, i recently saw it increase significantly. When it took 3.3TB in 6 months in 2021, it took 1TB in the last 5 days. Resources monitoring in Windows 10 keep showing me at least 9MB/s in writing done by Comodo on cmddata:

https://i.imgur.com/JvSEKBA.png

THankfully it’s not 24/7 this rate otherwise it’d be 777GB written / day. But still that’s insane.
Is there any way to stop this, and anyone know why this could be happening?

Current Comodo Firewall v12.2.2.8012
Win10 (x64) 20H2 Build 19042.1526

Edit: I saw a few posts related including this one and the ones linked in it. But no proper solution. I like the Firewall but if it keeps using my SSD that much i’ll have to use something else. It’s not viable.

Hi Harest,

Thank you for reporting.
May i know your ?

1. Windows version along with system bit type ?
  2. Any other security software installed on your machine other than CIS ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi,

Sorry i said Win10 without specifying more regarding the build version, i updated the OP with this info. And no other security software, no. Comodo Firewall was all i needed to mainly have a notification asking me to either allow or block all outgoing traffic for an app. It’s the main feature i wanted.

There isn’t much you can do as it’s a design flaw in that it constantly writes to cmddata every time an application is launched, the only way to mitigate some of it is to manually set the file rating of all the files currently listed in the file list to trusted.

Okay, well i’ll have to find another firewall then i guess :/. 9MB/s is just too much. Until the resources monitor isn’t reporting properly, but from what i was seeing in Crystal Disk Info, there was clearly something up. I was maybe blocking too much Windows stuff.

Hi Harest,

Sorry for the inconvenience, we will reach you through private message to get required log and information.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT