Why doesn't Comodo Firewall run in Safe Mode?

I’ve downloaded the Manual and searched there. There is no mention of safe mode. I have done a search of the forums – I get hits – but none of the first 5 or so contain any reference whatsoever to Safe Mode.

So here I am, in safe mode, and everything is disabled, and I can’t enable it.

Why?

:-[

If you’re in SAFE MODE, your network adaptor isn’t initialised, your IP stack isn’t loaded and your firewall isn’t needed.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Also something to add to what Panic said, cmdagent.exe isn’t running(it’s the main component of CPF), because in Safe Mode, only drivers and services required to run Windows are started. Else you don’t usually need Internet access when working in Safe Mode :wink:

Ragwing

What about Safe Mode with Networking?

I think it won’t run in Safe Mode with Networking, as only the services that really are needed starts. AV, Firewall and so on aren’t really needed for Internet access, and is therefore not started. Anyways, if you browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Control \SafeBoot , then choose either ‘Minimal’ or ‘Network’, and you’ll see what services it starts.

Ragwing

Doesn’t safe mode with networking only load the networking components roiginally supplied with Windows - i.e. - Microsoft only components? I’m pretty sure that no third party firewall will operate in safe mode.

Ok ok. I get the point :stuck_out_tongue: ;D

LOL. Don’t get me wrong, I was asking more than stating. I just assumed that safe mode would only load those items that MS supplied. How that’s construed as “safe”, I’ll leave that to better minds than mine. :wink:

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if my assumption is correct - that safe mode only loads the original MS networking components and that no third party networking software gets loaded?

Cheers,

I’ll confirm that for you :D. You just had to force the laziness out of me, didn’t you >:(.

Update: Ok. It doesn’t load anything. So yeah. Not cmdagent.exe, not cpf.exe. Not even my DSL connection shortcut I created to my ISP - it wasn’t even in Network Connections. If I manually launch CFP, all monitors are disabled. [Windows XP]

I think MS only components are considered as ‘safe’ because in most case you need Safe Mode because you messed up something that causes a BSoD, tho I agree it shouldn’t be called ‘Safe’ Mode, possible MS Only Mode ;D

It’s because cmdagent.exe isn’t running, and if you disable cmdagent.exe in normal mode, it seems like you gotta reboot for it to start again.

Ragwing

I suspect that is caused by INSPECT.SYS (the kernel level SPI engine) not being loaded.

Thanks to both of you for comfirming my suspicions.

Cheers,