Why CMS would want to make phone call?

Hi.

I’m using CMS on my mobile devices and by default I do not allow any application to make phone calls and send messages not even Comodo but then I have never noticed if any of the apps would want to make a phone call until recently.
I decided to block some number using Comodo because I’m getting lot of scam phone calls now days and I’ve been using CMS to block these number and I noticed once, right after a phone call being blocked CMS did try to make a phone call but since I don’t allow it I got the message “Comodo is blocked - Prohibited to make a phone call”.

So I would have two questions.

1. Why Comodo would make a phone call in general?
  2. I find it interesting it did try to make a phone call right after it was blocked a number does it got anything to do with it? if yes I even more curious what Comodo was up to with a phone call?

Thank you.

Hi ddabrahim,
CMS app require phone call permission to block the phone number which user had added in his Block list. If user had given this permission then only CMS knows who is calling. If the calling number is from block list then CMS will block that call.

If user had not given this permission and click on Call Blocking tab it shows message as - “We have no permission to view your call history. Please TAP HERE to give us permission”. If you tap it will show one dialog “Allow Comodo Mobile Security to make and manage phone calls?”.(this is Android os default dialog) If user click on ALLOW button then only user can add number to block list.

1. Why Comodo would make a phone call in general?

2. I find it interesting it did try to make a phone call right after it was blocked a number does it got anything to do with it? if yes I even more curious what Comodo was up to with a phone call?

-Comodo will never make phone call, it asks permission to just block the calls. If you have further doubts let us know, we are happy to clarify your doubts.

CMS app require phone call permission...If user had not given this permission and click on Call Blocking tab it shows message as - "We have no permission to view your call history. Please TAP HERE to give us permission". If you tap it will show one dialog "Allow Comodo Mobile Security to make and manage phone calls?".(this is Android os default dialog) If user click on ALLOW button then only user can add number to block list.

Hi
Thank you for the reply but that is actually not true I’m afraid. Maybe it is depends on version of Android you are running but on my device Comodo require 5 permissions

1. Enable mobile network
  2. Enable wireless network
  3. Make phone calls
  4. Read call logs
  5. Read contacts

My phone comes with a security application that allow me to enable and disable any permissions in the list as I want it for any app I have installed on my phone.
In order to add numbers to block list directly from my contact list or call history, I need to allow only the last two permissions and in order to enable call blocking it asking me to allow Comodo to read call logs. I don’t need to allow Comodo to make phone calls in order to block numbers.

But I have noticed, the phone is actually ring once before an incoming call get blocked by Comodo.
It is something I haven’t thought about but do you mean in order to block an incoming call at first instance even before ring once I need to give the permission to Comodo to “Make phone calls”?
I can give it a try actually, but if that’s the case I think it should be called “Read incoming calls” instead of “Make Phone calls” or is this some sort of default name of the permission by the Android system itself? Anyway, thank you for the hint, I give it a try.

I can give it a try actually
I tried, I have allowed Comodo to make calls but my phone still ringed once before blocking the incoming call. So I'm still uncertain what the phone call permission is for exactly, again, it is not required to block incoming calls. CMS is reading the call logs in order to block incoming calls...

But thanks.

Hi ddabrahim,
I think you are confused because of permission message as - “Allow Comodo Mobile Security to make and manage phone calls?”. Here we are using this permission to block the call (as you can see on dialog text is “”…manage phone calls" ). And the permission message is Android’s os default message we can’t change this message.

For your other query - ringed once before blocking the incoming call

In some devices (mostly older devices) it happens that you will get one ring and after that call will be blocked.

I think you are confused because of permission message as - "Allow Comodo Mobile Security to make and manage phone calls?".

Not sure what do you mean. As I mentioned I have a security app on my device that allow me to enable/disable any permission for any apps I want. I made a screenshot:

Actually it called “Dial calls”. When I got a number blocked, I get the message from this security app “Comodo is blocked Dial calls is forbidden”.

Dial calls is definitely not required to block incoming calls, so what dial calls is for?

Thanks.

Hi ddabrahim

As our expert explained, CMS doesn’t perform any phone call, and it uses system generated permissions only, so labeling is performed by system. Any third party application listing as “Dial Calls” doesn’t mean CMS will be performing a phone call.

If you have any use case where CMS made an actual phone call, please describe us the steps so that we can also generate the scenario.