What do I think about Comodo?

What Eric is trying to convey is that our defense mechanism was working nicely dealing with an “unsatisfied user”. But Once the realisation set in that this is a “paid blogger/advocate” of some sort we had to show him for who he was. Because the intentions were different.

If it was simply a user whose “game plan” wasn’t about discrediting competition while promoting the “payer”, then the method would have been different.

But a “paid blogger” will continue to “evangalise and spread the word” so he had to be shown for who he was, so that people took his “false accusations” with a pinch of salt.

As to whether this is a job for a CEO, mod etc…come on guys…what are you talking about…we are all the same…I will lead by example! I will fight one on one for end users! I will get my hands dirty for end users! I don’t think our end user would appreciate a CEO who didn’t lead by example!

The issue is: People are going with what they are “used to” seeing. CEOs that don’t get truly “involved” with their end users. So that is the “mould” they are comparing me with. Pls don’t :slight_smile:

Melih

Well… if I haven’t quite yet overstayed my welcome…

This is precisely the false dichotomy I was talking about in my last post.

And Melih, considering that I’m the only person in this thread that’s thus far critiqued your “involvement” would you say it’s fair for me to assume that I’m one of those people to which you’re referring? Because I really don’t appreciate that kind of passive dismissal of my opinion.

… particularly when it’s not my opinion. I do not expect nor want you, Melih, to be less involved.

Hell, I’m thankful you’re as involved as you are.

[at] Glifford, your welcome has a loooong way to go before it’s worn out. Your rational mind has been made evident in your charettes, and your posts in this thread are equally clear. It’s a pleasure to read honest, concise communications. :-TU

What do I think of Comodo?

As a user of the companies products - they produce a comprehensive line of software and do a good job of it.

As a member of the online community - these forums are great fun, highly educating, sometimes exasperating, sometimes frustrating but pretty much always thought provoking.

Does Melih shoot himself in the foot occasionally? Sometimes he’s an absolute marksman!! :smiley: In saying that, there is (999/1000) a valid reason for these types of responses. I’ve learnt to strip away the emotion and look rationally at the underlying issues. Once the emotions (from both sides) have been stripped away, it’s generally not too hard to see who’s right and who’s gotten themselves carried away.

Overall - I’ve made some great friends here, learnt an enormous amount and, hopefully, passed on a little. I hope Comodo remain highly successful and these forums continue to be the kind of community where a topic of this nature is actively encouraged.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

No doubt about it. It’s good to be with a CEO at forums. I particularly appreciate that.
But, if for any reason at any time, you have a bad day, well, you’ll give, like any other mortal man, a bad example and for this reason, a Moderator would do his job, like PR does, like a secretary answering polite your callings :slight_smile:
Can the Moderators moderate the CEO (if there is a case of needing this)? :slight_smile:

Feel exactly the same. Otherwise we won’t be here :slight_smile:

Sorry it is more the other way the CEO moderates the Moderators.

It is very easy to register for this forum so no one is turn away, they have help which they may need.

This does cause problems Spammers in particular approx 2/5 a day register also trolls/flamers can register and post easily.

We do not delete posts or ban members out of hand even persistent offenders are post banned first before any full bans are applied.

Also numerous other cases which do cause problems moderating, but we are happy to do to make this forum accessible, friendly and helpful.

This is all at the insistence of the CEO, which does cause him to spend far to much time here helping members, and dealing with trolls/flamers.

Dennis

I know that. I fee that. I understand that. It’s not an easy task for you.

I usually use the “report to Moderator” feature to inform about spam. But, really, I see very little here.

What i think about Bob “case”.
It doesn’t matter what were real intentions of Bob when he started this, it does matter that he giggled, poured DACS with mud. But behaving so, sensible individual must be aware of consequences of this behaviour especially on the forum of DACS creator.

Consequences happened >:-D – Bob was turned into jester locked in his own stage (that thread). Alas thread was closed…
Anyway, is Melih right that Bob poured a mud on DACS by Avast’s orders? I think this is not true simply because damage for DACS because of Bob’s giggling would be smallest but damage for Avast would be great if it would be discovered the fact they ordered to small fry to play mean tricks on Comodo. It is just very hard to believe that management of Avast are complete idiots.

Suspect that Melih cynically made that move, knowing that “Avast orders” cannot be true, anyway move was great

As for slander on Comodo and spreading of rumours throughout internet like James said.
How about good PR. For example: someone moans DACS is a stolen technology, and this moan spreads. Instead of stepping into discussion with another “unsatisfied user”, a definite document/whitepaper-disproof is issued and being spread on the internet by own channels. Contents of whitepaper for example: structure of DACS, why DACS can’t be “stolen” technology (b’cause p2p-users paid for their licenses, because of p2p-nature of implementation, that does not break eula’s of AV vendors) etc.

No offence, thanx for thread, but cannot resist:
starting post is touchiness, glamour oversentimentalism kind of “world is not like i want it to be”. Boring :wink:

it was a general statement :slight_smile: I get it a lot, people saying: you are the CEO you shouldn’t be involved…for me, I am the CEO I should be involved :slight_smile:

lol…the main issue is the “paid trolls” that needs moderating…:slight_smile: that is the issue…

SS26: Bob’s case is off topic here. If you want, please, start your own thread about it or, better, about people that bash Comodo and how Comodo should react to them.

It’s not only hard to believe. It’s false. Bob was not under avast team orders.

If you’re talking about Bob, well, Melih, you know that Bob was not acting by avast payment. He could be avast biased otherwise.
By the way, you know Bob is not a troll.

But, why can’t we stop talking about Bob? Is it an unresistable force to off-topic? ;D

Back on topic, Melih, please, if you have time, can you say “yes” or “no” to my assumptions? Thanks.

You would be surprised at how much spam actually hits the forum. It’s just whisked away by the moderators. :slight_smile:

Define me the word: Competitor.

You will see it will be based on what we “compete” on…
is it the same money pool we are after or is it the same users we are after.

From money pool point of view…Symantec and McAfee is our competitors.

But if you do not earn from the users… It’s all free…
If other antivirus users grow, what do you lose? Word-of-mouth? Use the paid solutions? But in that case, your competitors aren’t the free antivirus/firewalls out there.
If you lost your credibility, word-of-mouth, public recognition, then you’ll fail. That is the point, isn’t it?

and you are sure to lose your credibility if you don’t fight for end users!

Melih

Most certainly. You lose your credibility when you don’t offer a better and better product, when the forum atmosphere get corrupted, when users start to FUD in Internet, or lie…
Success is a mix of things… You need to achieve the balance and there is always room for improvement.

Well since this thread is all about OPINION, which is not the reason I visit this forum,
I am tempted to just pass by…but what the hell.

It seems to me that since CIS provides equally strong protection for free it doesn’t have
competitors…only enemies.
The AV Companies who have something to lose are the ones that rely on the
‘fear = profit’ business model.

When I decided to get serious about protecting my computer, I went to Wilders and soon
discovered that Comodo was both revered and reviled. This hinted that Comodo was doing
something special (rocking the boat).
I read Melihs ‘manifesto’ and decided that I wanted to try Comodo, even though I had no
idea what HIPS was and I had heard time and time again that it was not user friendly.
However, since I had already been burnt (read: infected) by the ‘user friendly’ N*&t*n
and A^[at]$t, I was ready to experiment with Comodo.
It was no where near the nightmare that other forums had warned about, and after
being infected in the past, I was grateful that Comodo was so mindful of what was
flowing thru my computer.

I’ve been reading this forum nearly every day since last July, and have never seen
this ‘Bob’ character until the DACS thread poped up.
I remember thinking “is this some Wilders hate-monger trying to spread FUD?”
Then I went into ‘Bobs’ profile and started reading his old posts; they were less than
stellar and rather snarky; peppered with the term ‘fanboy’ which is, of course, a pejorative
no matter what the context.
Turns out he had been a member since 2006 (?) and had only posted 35 (?) times,
which seems to suggest that he just shows up to snipe.

Up until that DACS thread, my perception of the Comodo forum was very positive.
Melih was obviously very pleased and exited to offer such a tool to his users; then the
bogus ‘it’s not legal’ BS started flying and it allwent to hell.
It was like I was back at Wilders again. Don’t get me wrong, Wilders has alot of helpful
members, but when the name Melih is mentioned, some people can get rather rude,
and I suspect that AV industry insiders are members who like to throw BS at
competitors, especially Comodo, because when Melih pulls back the curtain to expose
them for what they are (fear mongers) they get even the only way they
know how…more fear.

Melih (like Tzuk over at Sandboxie) is very involved with his customers, and seems
to genuinely want to please them and keep their computers free of malware.
He wants to know what we’re thinking and what we
wish for…it’s nice to see. I can’t blame him for his reaction to all the BS and fear.

So there you have it…my opinion…like a leaf in the wind. :stuck_out_tongue:

you don't offer a better and better product,
when the forum atmosphere get corrupted,
when users start to FUD in Internet, or lie...
Success is a mix of things... You need to achieve the balance and there is always room for improvement.
That's all very true. Where is the unbalance in the above according to you? Where is there room for improvement?