Webcam setup

Does anything need to be enabled in the firewall setup in order to allow two way video calls using Windows Live Messenger?

At the moment, I can see the person I’m calling and can communicate with them, but they can’t see me.

Can you show a screenshot of your firewall logs? They can be found under Firewall → Common Tasks → View Firewall Events. What is your firewall rule for WLM?

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Attached screenshot of te firewall events (only one).

I haven’t created a rule for WLM, but earlier today, I disabled everything in both the Services and Startup group in MSCONFIG (except MS stuff), but it didn’t make any difference, so it doesn’t look like the firewall is the culprit somehow.

The webcam itself is the Microsoft “LifeCam Cinema” which can record in HD.

[attachment deleted by admin]

That holds no clue for the problem.

What is your Firewall rule for WLM?

WLM rule is “Allow IP Out”. Should I change it to In/Out?

Try making it Trusted. Does that help?

Apologies once more for the delay in responding, but I’ve manage to fix the problem.

It was down to a setting in WLM which wasn’t checkmarked. I’ve ringed it in red in the attachment.

However, I now have to contend with pixelated playback which often freezes every time I use WLM to make video calls. I doubt that it’s a firewall issue though and I don’t expect a response of course, but if do you happen to know of any good webcam troubleshooting sites, I’d really like to hear about them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Try to check your firewall logging see if it blocks anything related to the WLM process

Did you run Stealth ports wizard in the past?