Vista 64 SP1 Crashing

Hi,

I have done a search for the subject but haven’t been able to find a solution.

I am moving over to Vista 64 SP1 from Windows XP Pro SP2 (32 bit), I installed Vista then installed CFP 3.0.25.378, CBO 4.27 and Avast Home 4.8.1229. Everything went fine so I started installing my usual software I need until Vista started crashing randomly with it reporting it a hardware fault. I know this isn’t the case because XP runs fine as does SuSE Linux 11 without crashes.

I decided at this point to download the latest hardware drivers including flashing the bios because the update said it fixed an S3 resume issue with Vista, this seemed to improve things for a while then I rebooted and Vista would reboot within a minute of me logging in.

Note that booting into Safe mode worked fine without any crashes which to me indicated something low level was broken.

At this point I started removing software one application at a time and rebooting but I still had the same results until I removed BOClean. As soon as I removed BOClean Vista is rock solid, so I started re-installing things (minus BOClean) and Vista has been solid now for 4 days, no crashes. The only thing I have uninstalled is BOClean.

Is there anything I can do to get my system stable with BOClean running as I prefer to have it installed as I have had on XP for nearly a year now?

Thanks,

Drocket.

Greetings … I’m the author of BOClean. Wish I had a hip pocket answer for you, I’d be the one who would know and unfortunately, I’ve not seen this before. FWIW, I run BOClean on a qwappy HP/Compaq 64 bitter (cheapest one they make) and have never run into this myself, nor have I seen any complaints. Only thing is that I have an NVidia card in mine, not the S3 type. There is indeed a 64 bit kernel driver which is part of BOClean, but it’s not been the source of any problems I know of.

Since you have had some other difficulties apparently and things seem stable now for you, why not give BOClean another try and see what happens? Betcha it’ll work and Vista managed to sort out its own “ordering” issues for hardware drivers … what we do in ours doesn’t hook directly into the hardware stack, so I have a feeling a reinstall might just work … let me know what happens …

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for replying.

I think the S3 in the bios relates to some sleep state, I just bought a new graphics card that uses DirectX 10 which is parltly the reason I wanted to move over to Vista.

I will try re-installing it now and will let you know how I get on, with good or bad news :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Drocket.

Hi Kevin,

Okay, I have re-installed 4.27 and so far so good, it would have normally crashed by now so I will leave it running and let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Drocket.

Hi Kevin,

As I said in the previous response, I installed 4.27 yesterday afternoon and everything seemed okay but this morning I rebooted my PC and it BSOD again within about a minute of logging in so I booted into safe mode and removed BOClean, rebooted and so far everything is okay again.

I would like to try installing it again but I’m in the middle of a deadline at the moment so can’t spend the time investifating it, hopefully I will be able to try again over the weekend.

Please let me know if you have a brainstorm in the mean time.

Edit: One thing I did notice and forgot to mention that when I first booted into Windows this morning there was no icon in the taskbar for BOClean so I checked Task Manager and the BOClean process was running. When I rebooted just before the BSOD there was an icon in the taskbar. Not sure if that is relevant.

Thanks,

Drocket

Very strange indeed … as far as the traybar icon goes, that’s created by the BOC427.exe, and would have nothing to do with our kernel driver or the BOCORE service. But does suggest something else might be going on. Since you’re tied up at the moment, I suppose it’s best to wait until you have a little “play time” if you’re willing to help me try to figure out what’s going on there and see if I can fix it for you. One thing that will be a tremendous help though would be knowing what the specific error is, what it’s “faulting” as the cause, and any details such as numbers in the error you’re getting on the blue screenie there. Can’t fathom what would cause it to do that since if there’s any resource or hardware troubles, there’s plenty of error “catchers” in the driver which should prevent that. There’s definitely something else at play here though at the moment, I don’t even have a wild guess as to what that might be.

If you’re willing, and have some spare time one of these days, let’s see if we can find out what’s whackadoodle there …

Hi Kevin,

I am up for helping you figure out the cause, once I clear this client tomorrow and maybe Friday I should be able to re-install 4.27 and get you the information you require, though the BSOD only hangs around for a few seconds while it does it’s memory dump so it might be difficult to write the number down in time.

If you let me know what you require I will do my best to get it you.

I did save out the two files thay Microsoft wanted me to send them due to the crash (via their dialog box thingy). If you want them please let me know and I will PM them to you, but I couldn’t see anything in there which related to a memory address or error code caused by the GPF.

Thanks,

Drocket.

Hiya once again … yeah, give those two files a shot - maybe there will be a clue in there perhaps … in your original, I was under the impression that you were getting a “blue screen hardware error” (those can’t be printed out of course) but now you’re mentioning a GPF, and Alt+PrtScrn keys will bag a copy of that at least which can be pasted into MS PAINT or (hopefully) saved as a graphic otherwise which can be attached. You’ve DEFINITELY got my curiosity up. :slight_smile:

But yeah, happy to take whatever I can get … you’ve definitely got something “interesting” going on there.

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the late reply, I had planned to re-install BOClean over the weekend but due to unexpected workload just haven’t had time yet, though I plan to as soon as possible.

Sorry about the misunderstanding over BSOD and GPF, that was my fault. If I enable BOClean I will eventually receive a BSOD unfortunately it I can not say when it will occur as it is a random thing, sometimes soon as I boot in others hours later but it will eventually BSOD.

The files I am referring too were created by Vista for me to send to Microsoft and I was prompted once I booted into safe mode to uninstall BOClean, I saved the last copy off for you and will send them to you via a PM.

Please let me know what other information I can get for you.

Thanks,

Drocket.

Hi Kevin,

Me again.

I tried PM’ing you but couldn’t see a way to attach files, I tried pasting the contents into the PM but it failed to send as the content is greater than 40000 characters. Is there another way for me to send you the data?

Thanks,

Drocket.

NO problemo! Those of us here at COMODO want things to work properly as well … am DYING to figure out what happened there so that we can fix it … or at least find out who to ENCOURAGE to fix it. :slight_smile:

Hi Kevin,

Just to let you know, I did receive your email on the 30th Oct unfortunatly it had been swallowed by our spam filter so I have only just seen it and recovered it, I will send you the information you require shortly.

Thanks,

Drocket.

Hi Kevin,

I sent you the file you requested to your email address.

Thanks,

Drocket.

Hi Kevin,

I haven’t contacted you in a while but have you had any luck resolving this?

Thanks,

Drocket.

Hi sorry I not sure where to post.

I just got my self a new PC with 64bit Vista SP1. I install the 64bit version and I have two problems.

1 it asked me to install a network driver thingy? Which i said yes then lost internet connection. SO I repaired but removing it. Tho when I finish installing the main program it self and restarted the Windows was unable to reboot.
Here a Report below. I haven’t tried the 32bit.

Product
Windows

Problem
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
2/18/2009 3:54 PM

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033