Virus database question?

I think this needs an answer from the devs. I have the exactly same problem, still stuck on 457.

John

I reinstalled and now I am at 470. Hope I don’t have to reinstall for every update.

Well, after being stuck for a couple of days on virus database 457, decided to do what JJasper did and uninstall and reinstall CIS after doing a registry cleaning with CRC.  Was able to update and now have database version 470.  I hope the devs will be able to address this update bug soon.

Rhaegar

Updated to Virus database 470. Nice.

Also, in the release page itself, in FAQ section, Egeman had mentioned that the virus updates will start only after 28.10.2008. So, I think there was nothing to worry. I just didn’t check for virus update till yesterday and today antivirus updated to 470. Cheers…

Hi Everyone,
Just to clearup confusion, when we released CIS for public, it had two changes:

1. Path to AV updates was changed
  2. Released updates were not compatible with RC2

So any user who updated from RC2 to CIS won’t be able to get latest updates.

JJasper mentioned after CIS was released, he uninstalled RC2 and then installed CIS released version and was still not able to get latest updates, that’s only possible if old un-installation of RC2 left old update paths in registry as mentioned by offchu. If that is so, then it must have been a bug in RC2 that it left registry entries.

But we don’t see this problem after we uninstall CIS, it cleans up registry entries completely.

I would be interested to know if someone can produce and give any steps for that.

Thanks
-umesh

umesh

Thanks for looking into this.

1. I had update 457 with new install of CIS after uninstalling RC2. I imported my config from RC2.
  2. Checked with A/V update manual button when I realized 462 was out and I never got it. It said my av was up to date.
  3. Uninstalled CIS. Cleaned the registry with CRC and RegSeeker. Re-installed CIS and again imported my config from the previous CIS
  4. This new install gave me update 470.
  5. Now I hear that 477 is out. Tried the update and was told there was no update.
  6. Exported my config.
  7. Uninstalled CFP and Rebooted
  8. Cleaned with CRC all but unsafe entry.
  9. Cleaned with Regseeker and cleaned all entries
  10. Installed CIS 3.5.54375.427 with no scan for malware.
  11. Rebooted
  12. Imported my config as per item 6.
  13. Rebooted
  14. Antivirus database update checked - told it was up to date.
  15. Now I am stuck again with update 456

My thoughts: Either the refusing the scan at install or the importing of config is causing the problem. Unless it is a bug.

See Screenshots

John

[attachment deleted by admin]

Please check what path values are set under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro\Configurations\0\AV\Settings
for “UpdatePath” and “UpdateURL”, it should be “av/updates” and “http://download.comodo.com/” respectively.

Thanks
-umesh

I have for update path cfp//download//updates//av
for update URL I have http://download.comodo.com/

John

Changed path to av/updates but made no difference. Still cannot update. Will try rebooting and try again.

Rebooting allowed me to receive the update now. It is at 477

Thanks for your help umesh and for the screenshot offchu

John

My CIS virus database kept hanging at 4.57 after I had done clean install of CIS after I had uninstalled RC2. The hanging continued after updating to the newer version with the updater. So I uninstalled CIS and now it kept hanging at 4.56.

When I reread this page I noticed that to get the virus database updated to the latest, 477, you need to check two registry keys. One that was mentioned by offchu and the other one mentioned by umesh:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro[b]Configurations\0\AV[/b]Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro[b]\Configurations\4\AV[/b]Settings

Make sure for both keys that “UpdatePath” and “UpdateURL”, should be “av/updates” and “http://download.comodo.com/” respectively. I changed the two keys as described, rebooted and now have datebase 477.

It looks like the unisntaller doesn’t properly clean the registry. That contradicts the cheerful promise during the beta period that the installer and uninstaller now functioned properly.

It is time to go to sleep and I will see later in the day if this all worked to get the next av database and will report about my findings.

Created: https://forums.comodo.com/install_setup_configuration_faq/i_cant_get_virus_updates_for_people_who_upgraded_from_rc2_latest_release-t29125.0.html

Josh

Sorry fella’s, not working here or I don’t understand how the AV updates. I have the reg keys listed above with proper values and the program is at .427 The program (CIS) itself updates on its own without a problem but the AV signitures do not. I was at version .477 for about 4 hours this morning with no update. I then decided to manually call for the update and it updated to .482 Shouldn’t this happen automatically? I don’t run AV scans everyday but would like the program to update on its own everyday.

I am running this on XP pro (sp3) and this is the only security package active.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, I love this program and would like to help out in anyway possible to make this the best security product out there.

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks
Ice

+1, I can confirm this.

thanks for confirming this. I read at wilders that the AV definitions update automatically at a 24hr interval. Is this true?

Ice

Sorry you are having a problem with Virus updates.

No both my computers Vista/XP update within 10 minutes of going online(can be any time during the day I logon 3/4 times daily) when there is one available, and I have had two one day one at 6-15 other at 23-??
Dennis

thanks for the info. Is there a fix for the AV definition Updates?

Ice

Until they find what is causing it I don’t think so, not everybody is having this problem.
Did you have any Beta’s/RC of CIS on your computer as there has been problems with keys left in the registry.
Dennis

Hi Ice,

Sorry fella's, not working here or I don't understand how the AV updates. I have the reg keys listed above with proper values and the program is at .427 The program (CIS) itself updates on its own without a problem but the AV signitures do not. I was at version .477 for about 4 hours this morning with no update. I then decided to manually call for the update and it updated to .482 Shouldn't this happen automatically? I don't run AV scans everyday but would like the program to update on its own everyday.

I am running this on XP pro (sp3) and this is the only security package active.

If you want to make sure that AV updates are always received automatically, please ensure you have following three check boxes selected:

1. ANTIVIRUS->Scanner Settings->Real Time Scanning->Automatically update virus database before scanning
  2. ANTIVIRUS->Scanner Settings->Manual Scanning->Automatically update virus database before scanning
  3. ANTIVIRUS->Scanner Settings->Scheduled Scanning->Automatically update virus database before scanning

If you still have to run AV Virus Database manually, there is a bug which we would like to investigate further.
Please let me know.

Thanks
-umesh

Thanks for the reply umesh. I have double checked this and they are all checked. This seems to be happening on all 3 of my machines. Vista Home (sp1), XP Home (sp3) and XP Pro (sp3). I did have the RC2 on all 3 also. Funny, but I do remember it automatically updating with RC2. I checked the reg key values on my XP Pro machine and they look correct. If you need any info, let me know. Should I search for any other values in the registry?

thanks again,
Ice

Hi Ice,
When you run manual scan or if scheduled scan runs, it makes sure that virus database is updated.
In general whenever you start cis, it checks quite often to see if there are any updates.
What probably you encountered is that when you didn’t see updates, there may not have been updates available and when you ran virus updater, you checked before automatic updater could check for it.

As long as you are able to receive virus updates manually, there should not be any problem in general with auto-matic update.

Thanks
-umesh

ok. I’m at .482 of the virus definitions. I will be turning on the pc tomorrow and if there is an update it should happen on boot up. I will check during the day to make sure if there is an update the pc gets it automatically. Like I stated in an earlier post, I typically don’t run virus scans daily. Maybe on a weekly basis. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Ice