viavoice version 10

the viavoice engine is constantly being blocked even tho i have set it to allow both in and out on UDP & TCP and all ports, plus ignore parent.
it launches the new user training wizard even tho i’ve already trained it. if i set cpf to “allow all” in the security settings it works fine.

Comodos don’t like playing with dragons?

Via voice is the old Dragon Simply Speaking voice recognition application and, as such, it is a local app that shouldn’t have much of a need for external access. Are you CERTAIN that each pop-up is identical (down to what additional libraries are involved in the pop-up)? As Viavoice hooks into each running app to allow for speech input, I would expect a pop-up for every application you start, but they would all have a small, but important, difference.

Please double check that the pop-ups are exactly the same. I suspect you’ll find some small differences and while this may not be convenient, it shows that CPF is doing its job correctly and detecting changes even in known applications.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

let me start by saying that this is on my neighbours pc. he is 78 years old and uses viavoice for dictating letters and email. i put comodo on because he had broadband and no security, and i use comodo and consider it the best.

when i launch ms word i get 4 blocks, application = engine.exe, parent = winword.exe, 3 are ip listening port 1053 - 1056 - 1060 TCP the other is ip 127.0.0.1 port 1060 TCP

the first 3 say
“engine.exe refuses communication with comodo personal firewall. this may happen either because engine.exe is crashed and needs to be restarted or it has installed potentially dangerous kernal level hooks to reveal its activities. this is typical of virus,trogan and spyware behaviour.”

the 4th says
“engine.exe is an invisible application. invisible applications connecting to the internet could be a sign of trogan/spyware/virus activity”

when i launch viavoice i get 5 blocks, 4 are application = engine.exe, parent = speechbar.exe, ip listening port 1069, 1073, 1074, 1078 TCP. the 5th is application = engine.exe, parent = userwiz.exe, IP listening port 1082 TCP

they all say
“engine.exe refuses communication with comodo personal firewall. this may happen either because engine.exe is crashed and needs to be restarted or it has installed potentially dangerous kernal level hooks to reveal its activities. this is typical of virus,trogan and spyware behaviour.”

i have tried giving engine.exe full access, and full block. but i still get this. the last one it tries to load is userwiz.exe which is for new user, it then crashes. it will not load my existing profile.
if i set comodo’s “adjust security level” to “allow all” it works perfectly. once it launches i can put the security level back to custom. it seems to work then, but i haven’t fully tested this.

i have 9 screenshots weighing 389KB in total which i can post here, or alternatively i can post links.

does noone else use viavoice? or had the “file.exe refuses communication with comodo personal firewall”?

We are going to release CPF 2.3 this week. It will have many bugs fixed including a bug causing this alert. I think your problem will be solved with it.

Thx,
Egemen