very very inappropriate

I’m sorry, but I simply have to post this. Excuse me if it’s inappropriate…

So, I thought I’d test Jetico 2 beta myself. Now, you see, the beta is a 30-day trial, and after 30 days configuration changes can’t be saved anymore. I don’t have any right to comment on their marketing strategy, but the way things were going, i don’t think I would have been able to configure the firewall in 30 days :cry:

So, I’m like totally confused, watching pop-up after pop-up alerting me that terrible malicious process attacks are taking place (explorer was trying to paint the wallpaper, and Yahoo Mess to install the WinKey+Y global shortcut, and, that one is funny, Jetico was trying to install some global hooks, you see… ;)) Then on clickety-clicking for every single packet in the DHCP process, and for every single broadcast from my ISP’s gateway… To make a long story short, after a total of 15 minutes, I still wasn’t able to access the main interface window, for I was fighting off pop-ups and I was losing!!!

I was really lost trying to figure out why the pop-ups, that now moved on to DNS requests, area asking me if I want to set a rule for svchost based on the mail client template, when I decided to uninstall right in the middle of a new query regarding a brutal attack by Jetico itself (trying to write in the process memory of ctfmon, go figure…). I think this was the very first time I’ve ever uninstalled a program before actually browsing through it’s main configuration UI…

I think there’s a lesson to be learned here… Please, please COMODO, never go down that path, it’s simply not worth it just to pass all possible leak tests right out of the box!

(L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L)

Usability is very important.

we will make sure to give you the best security with most usable environment.

Melih

That is more of a “research” firewall, great for learning what the other firewalls are doing in depth.

I would have used that firewall for my own interest, not to secure a network (-:

But for a realistic situation where users don’t have Unlimited time to learn all of that, it gets very annoying.

WOW.

nix jetico. just DLed it this morning.

out with the noon garbage!

THANK (:CLP) YOU!

elfstone: i understand your frustration, but try to keep it in perspective: Jetico2 is not for you, and it’s in Beta. I have to say it probably isn’t for me either, if it takes that much to figure it out.

That’s another great reason to stick with Comodo: We don’t have to do all that. And we’re still safe.

Rule No 1: If you’re going to try a beta program, ALWAYS do it on someone else’s machine :^)

This simple rule saved me a lot of grief several times already!

… and that someone else got your grief ;D

But seriously, I would recommend downloading Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (it’s free! Yay!), make a virtual Windows XP or Windows 2003 or whatever, and test the beta in there. If things get hairy, you can always kill the virtual PC and delete the virtual-disk-file :slight_smile:

I also think that VM’s are a nice way to test things - but (especially with things that mess with the network, like AV’s and firewalls), I like removable disk packs.

My “big” machine has two bays, set as cable-select, so that any drive can pop in anywhere.

If I want to test something like a Vista beta or retail, (GAAAK! [picture of smily vomiting it’s guts up!]), I put it on it’s own pack - run it thru the mill, tell M$ what a piece of GAGH! it is… and when I power down and pull the pack, that garbage is HISTORY.
(:TNG)

The only time I’ve ever gone wrong with this, is when I decide to “test” something on my “main” pack. (and I forget to back the beastie up first!) Never fails. Fast boat to Hell - no handbasket necessary.

Jim

Agree. Unfortunately, I share my home computer with my big (and I do mean BIG :wink: ) bro, and he’s mighty irked if I tamper with the hardware, being a non-geek that he is :-\

So, I ended up using my workstation in my office ;D and of course a VM is necessary :slight_smile:

With Jetico 2, users do the job. They report bugs and more bugs, a lot of Beta’s and more Beta’s, and it’s for “very advanced users” , and when there is a final version, you must to purchase LOL LOL LOL
I don’t make the job for others and pay for it.
COMODO pass leak test and is very friendly for use.
(V) (L) (B)
Sorry my english :wink:

■■■■, Rafel. That’s a mighty beautiful avatar you got there 8)
How did you make it?

I like to make a wallpaper from that. You know, turn it just 45° on the vertical axis, with a brushed blue-metallic background, or a blue-ish worldmap background, with C.O.M.O.D.O on the upper-right.

I think you need some links here, pepoluan…

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1439.0.html

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1017.0.html

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1712.0.html

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,3824.0.html

LM