Very slow dial-up handling

I’ve posted a topic on Bug Reports forum, and received a suggestion to raise it here in Help forum. I don’t know if it’s really related to D+, but since it doesn’t seem to be an antivirus or firewall issue, I’ve decided to post it here.

Please take a look and reply if you have some hint on it.

Thank you very much.

https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cis/very-slow-dialup-handling-t81032.0.html

Is there a specific application involved that does the dialing and makes the connection?

Can you show us the D+ logs (View Defense + Events) of around the time this application makes a connection?

Also try adding the application to the Exclusions of Detect shellcode injections (i.e. Buffer overflow protection) and see if that makes a difference or not.

There’s no application involved, since I’ve created a dial-up connection under Windows Connections. I only click in Win7’s Network icon (system tray) and dial the connection. The very action of hovering this icon with the mouse the first time since bootup makes CIS use high CPU, and the balloon message showing the list of connected networks (that appears when hovering icon) takes about 1 minute to appear.

I’ve cleared D+ logs before testing this and it didn’t generate any events while doing this procedure.

Please make sure that there are no left overs of previously uninstalled security programs around. Not all uninstallers do a proper job. And left over applications, drivers or services can cause all sort of “interesting effects”.

Try using removal tools for those programs to remove them. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

Although I’m pretty sure I’d never install any of those applications, I’ll look for such left overs. But I think it is not related to it, because I neither install nor uninstall any security applications when this problem started happening. My guess is that CIS started behaving this way after an update, or, at least, some CIS or Windows configuration is causing this behavior. I ask you to enable some trace or operation log in order to find what/where CIS is slowing down/consuming CPU.

Thanks a lot.

This problem is not only related to dial-up, but to whole Windows networking.

I’ve turned on my computer at home last night, using Wi-Fi instead of 3G for internet access. Although Wi-Fi connection established as quick as before, hovering over Network tray icon and/or clicking on it caused the same symptom (CIS started high CPU usage, Network tray icon responsiveness became very very slow).

I’ve started to read other topics in the forum that are related to CIS/cmdagent slowdowns, and noticed AV issues mentioned on them. I’ve tried to disable AV autoupdate, no changes; but when I’ve disabled AV at all, then dial-up Properties opened quickly as usual. Then enabled it again and noticed slowdown on opening dial-up Properties again.

MODS please move this topic to “AntiVirus Help - CIS” board since now I know it’s AV-related and not D+.

Thanks a lot.

Moved as requested.