Using CAVS on a closed network (no live internet connection)

I have a closed network. This network does not have a live connection to the internet because I am waiting on the installation of a cable drop (may be 6 months before I get it).

One of my clients is a laptop that I can transport elsewhere and download/use CAV on. I want to use CAV on the other workstations, but I’m not sure if it’s possible for me to manually transfer files from the laptop to the other clients for installation and virus db update purposes. Can this be done? If so, how should I go about it?

Thanks,
bld

The easiest way to do this at the moment is to take your laptop home and update it. When you return to work, copy the subfolders under the CAVS installation from the laptop to the same locations on the other PCs. While this will ensure they are all running the same DBs, this method cannot cater for updates to the program core.

Also, please bear in mind that I haven’t tested this method in these circumstances. I have, however, tested that this method can be used to create a DOS accessible version of CAVS, using its command line utility CAVCONS.EXE, and the folder structure can be successfully replicated across PCs.

Hopefully, CAVS3 will have non-internet based updates available, either via a manual update porcess or via a centralised management console. The management console is currently only available on LANs running Active Directory with a domain controller, but a workgroup/SME version is under development.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Ewen