Updater

It says it uses Internet Explorer to check for updates so I changed my default browser from Firefox to IE (no restart required) but I still get an error 106 when I try to check for updates after getting the balloon message informing me of an available update.

Error 106: Update could not be completed. Not able to connect to Internet, please check your internet connection settings.

The connection is fine.

Any idea how to fix this or make it so it works with Firefox?

Thanks

Other people have been reporting various errors with updating. I have no help there, but I can tell you that you don’t need to change your default browser from Firefox to IE in order to update. I use Firefox as my default browser and update just fine.

Great, the less I have to depend on IE the better. It would be so much more convenient if I could get this thing to work. Oh well, guess I’ll still be manually downloading.

Not sure why it is not working but you may as well download the installer and do a clean install of 3.9.

Version 3.9 comes with a new rule file format that helps to quickly store and change new rules for D+ and firewall. I know it is a mighty pain up the bum to start all over again but it is best in this case.

I paused Kaspersky Anti-Virus protection and the Updater took like a champ.

Thanks for all the support!

P.S. The Firewall feature is all I use from CIS.

Do you have any idea why the Kaspersky AV protection was in the way?

Not too sure but here is a couple lines from the report I looked at. The first of which I added to the trusted zone and tried again but it did not help, not even after an restart of the computer. If you can tell me how to see what PID 488 is exactly, I’d be glad to.

detected: riskware Trojan.generic Running process: C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe

5/28/2009 10:14:22 AM Process (PID 488) tried to access Kaspersky Anti-Virus process (PID 2596), but the action has been blocked by the Self-Defense component. No action on your part is required.

Thank you. I will keep this in mind when other people have problems with not working updater.