Update error with Comodo BOClean [Resolved]

Running the newest version. Got this error while cruising the net. I clicked on the error and manually updated and it went through fine. But dunno why I got the error.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sheesh, sorry KoRn, I must have missed this first time around. :-[
I’ve added “Update Issues” to our pending FAQ.
FAQ Requests & Input
See if that helps, if the problem persists let us know.

BOClean updates fine on my W2K system when running as a limited user.

On my XP Pro system it updates fine when running as Admin but not as a limited user.

I followed the “Cannot get BOClean to update on “limited user accounts”” instructions at http://www.comodo.com/boclean/supboc.html#bocdiff up to the point where it says:

“Click OK to close all the windows and follow the instructions above to alter the write permissions.”

I see no instructions above and the XP Home instructions (that are actually below) don’t seem to make sense for XP Pro.

If you are running Windows XP PRO and cannot see the SECURITY tab, then you need to enable it which is done by going to Tools->Folder Options on most any open window. On the View tab click the Advanced Settings box; towards the bottom of the list that appears should be an entry "Use simple file sharing [Recommended]", you need to CLEAR the check box. You do NOT want to use simple file sharing. [b]Click OK to close all the windows and follow the instructions above to alter the write permissions[/b].

Okay, so you’ve gotten as far as changing/turning off simple file sharing and can see the Security tab, right?
Now you need to change the users permissions.

You need to alter the settings on this tab to change the permissions of the BOC424 folder, which should be self-explanatory (just click the box stating that you wish write permission and modify permission to be enabled for the SPECIFIC user(s) you are interested in).

Check the boxes marked “Write” and “Modify” for the BOC424 folder so that it can be updated by “limited users” or whoever happens to be online when an update is available. “Modify” should also enable “write” but if not, check that box as well. This change will ONLY affect the BOC424 folder wherein the BOC424.XVU update exists. No other folders will have their security settings changed. Once this is done, then any “limited user” will be able to collect BOClean updates and place the update where it’s available to all.

Hang on and I’ll post a screenshot…
These are the default settings before changing permissions in XP Pro.

Yes. I already had it turned off.

Now you need to change the users permissions. Hang on and I'll post a screenshot... These are the default settings before changing permissions in XP Pro.

So I’m awaiting another image, is that correct?

BTW, I’d prefer to allow only one particular account to be able to update rather than all users.

Thanks.

I wasn’t going to post another though I will if you think it will help.
You highlight (click on) the account you want to change permissions on, (in the above screenshot the “users” account is highlighted). Then follow the directions:

(just click the box stating that you wish write permission and modify permission to be enabled for the SPECIFIC user(s) you are interested in).

Check the boxes marked “Write” and “Modify” for the BOC424 folder so that it can be updated by “limited users” or whoever happens to be online when an update is available. “Modify” should also enable “write” but if not, check that box as well. This change will ONLY affect the BOC424 folder wherein the BOC424.XVU update exists. No other folders will have their security settings changed. Once this is done, then any “limited user” will be able to collect BOClean updates and place the update where it’s available to all.

Edit: I’ve added a screenshot circling the boxes you want to check.

Thanks. I’ve changed the permissions you noted. Will have to wait for the next update to verify that it did the trick.

Apparently there’s no security risk involved with allowing all software read/write privileges to this folder? e.g. - malware couldn’t modify the contents in a way that would allow itself to go undetected by BOClean?

Smells like a firewall problem actually … BOClean originally called the external BOC4UPD.exe program to perform an autoupdate, so providing that permission to call out to check for database updates was all that was needed. Enter MS Blista … kept tossing “Can’t find BOC4UPD to perform update” errors owing to the whackadoodle known as “UAC” (“Ultimate Apoplexy Created”) and so as of 4.24, the AUTO update is done within BOClean itself leaving the BOC4UPD.exe program solely for manual updates. So if you can update manually, then your connection is fine, there’s no problem in any of BOClean and the problem will be that the firewall needs to allow BOC424.exe to connect out as well.

THAT should do it for ya!

That’s a good question… I suppose if it were able to get past CBO in the first place then it would be a concern.

Thanks. Update worked fine this morning.

Someone might want to reword http://www.comodo.com/boclean/supboc.html#bocdiff to remove the erroneous “follow the instructions above” text and make it more clear that the XP Home instructions also apply to XP Pro. That way dummies like me won’t have to ask people like you for help. :slight_smile:

Glad you’ve got it working.
I’ll pass your suggestion up for review, thank you for the input!
I’ll mark this as resolved and lock it up. If you need it re-opened, IM a moderator.