Unwanted automatic updates.

just been pointed here from a thread i started,this non stoppable autoupdate affects me also.
cut from my previous thread:
i ask as i use a mobile dongle for my internet and am fed up with logging on to see my emails etc and then having to wait,sometimes 15+ mins more for the update to finish downloading.
this constant updating also eats up my data allowance needlessly as i notice i lose like 2.5mb even when theres no update released.it all adds up and is a waste.
as i use acronis imaging my worries on all this av paranoia are much less than most and in most cases apart from the email scanner i have no fears of losing important data as i image the whole drive in less than 10mins,
in fact its quicker to that than it is to download the updates…
thanks

Hmm…this happened to me today too. I had to open the gui and click “update database” and it worked.

Hi guys,

I found a temporary solution to my little problem. Since CIS doesn’t provide any way of turning off automatic updates killing cmdagent.exe through Windows Task Manager seams to do the trick. After some testing done it would seem that there aren’t any side effects, if you don’t count of course the fact that you can’t (temporarily) update the database anymore. The firewall still blocks unauthorized access to your computer from the Internet, still gives you warnings about programs that try to go online and the anti-virus still scans the files. This method should do for now since it serves its purpose.

Now, in order to be able to update CIS the computer has to be rebooted. Trying to start cmdagent.exe manually by going to COMODO’s folder and double clicking on the file fails… it does start but when you try to update it closes right after that. Also restarting the CIS alone doesn’t bring cmdagent.exe back either. The only way to bring it back is to reboot the computer.

This method works for me and if something (unlikely) would go wrong I can deal with it.

Thanks.

Killing CmdAgent.exe (the main program itself) seems to me would kill D+ also. This does not seem to me to be a viable solution (even temporary) since you have effectively removed the security CIS provides (someone correct me if i am wrong about this).

It would seem that D+ works without any problems. Just set it in Safe Mode to try it and had over ten warnings from one program. So it seems to be working just fine.

And I don’t think cmdagent.exe is the main program since after “killing” it the CIS still functions just fine. I think it is rather an agent to perform a function (I believe in this case an update). Main program would be cfp.exe and probably also ctfmon.exe (both of which still function).

An update manager and off-line database sure would be fine!

cfp.exe is the CIS GUI. And ctfmon is a microsoft office process…

Hi,

new user, first post, and this is the problem that I also came here to solve. This might sound ‘stroppy’ and it’s not meant that way, this is the way I run my life and I appreciate that it wouldn’t suit everyone!

Basically I don’t want any machine of mine doing anything automatically, I want to be in control at all times!

The auto update of the antivirus database takes ages and my PC runs like a dog with three legs while it’s doing it.

I have things to do, that’s why I boot up the PC in the first place, I don’t want to wait around for some software or other to take control of my life. I run auto update one evening a week, usually a Saturday night as I’ll be doing other things then…I can start the PC and leave it running for an hour or two on it’s own.

I ditched Zone Alarm because it runs too slowly after it’s learnt what it needs…my alternative there was to delete the software every couple of months and re-install it. Keep it in ‘learning mode’ and it runs a lot quicker.

Comodo was recommended to me by a colleague at work but after just two weeks I can’t say I’m impressed with it.

There’s another minor ‘grievance’ I have with it but that’s for another thread.

To add my take on the subject of why anyone would want to turn it off…

not everyone lives in a land where electricity is cheap and broadband access is fast and cheap. Not everyone has the latest super-computer for home use.

It’s especially true in my case, my P3 333 MHz pc does everything that I need it to and I’m happy with it. My one meg broadband’s OK too as I’m not interested in downloading the latest pirated films, etc.

Basically if I can’t get this software to do what I need then I’ll have to look elsewhere.

Regards
Peter

Hi peterd51,

Your solution awaits.
https://forums.comodo.com/install_setup_configuration_help/stop_automatic_updating-t34383.0.html;msg247568#msg247568