Unusual behaviour when ending and starting CFP

Good day:
The situation:

I installed CFP a few days ago with no problem. This was part of long exercise to remove and keep Brontok virus out of my computer.

When shutting down windows it complained that cfp.exe was not ending. I allowed it to try and when said not responding, forced the end.

I’ve noticed that CFP always seems to start last as the icon to appear on the sys tray.
Next day, CFP icon didn’t appear in the sys tray. So I clicked on CFP icon on the desktop, then it appeared in the tray.

Today, CFP didn’t appear in sys tray even after clicking on icon on desktop. I gave up on it and did other tasks. after 1/2 hr noticed that CFP was now in the sys tray when it popped up an alert.

• The version of Comodo Firewall Pro Installed
    ver. 2.4.18.184 ADV 3.0

• Your Internet connection type (dial-up/cable/Direct connection/LAN etc)
    broadband over 3G modem

• Operating system and Service Pack Level
    Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP 2 running on an NEC Versa E3100 notebook

• How you are logging in to the OS (Admin, User) user with ADMIN privileges

• Other Security applications installed (AV, AS, HIPS etc)
    currently Avast and Sunbelt Counter Spy.

• Security related applications which have been removed/disabled before installing CFP.
    Removed Sunbelt Personal Firewall but rebooted before installing CFP. Not sure if I disabled
    Avast and PC Tools Spyware Doctor.

• Security related application which have been removed/disabled after installing CFP.
    Removed PC Tools Spyware Doctor and installed Sunbelt Counter Spy.

• Detail the problem, such as which applications are running when you have the problem.
    Applications are behaving as normal

• Please inform us if you have created any custom rules.
    None

CONCERNS:

1. CPF should be able to end normally when shutting down windows.
  2. I think firewall should be started before other security applications. How to get CFP to start first?
  3. Should CFP appear in the system tray or it’s OK if it takes more than 10 minutes to appear?

Thanks and have a great day and week,
Kirk

CFP is in several component parts. The firewall proper starts as a system service, so it is present even if you don’t see anything in the tray. The user interface component is what you see in the tray.

I’m running on memory here, but your description reminds me of other forums topics where a Microsoft tool UPHClean has been useful. Details http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

It seems some kind of registry hive data gets “stuck”, and things don’t start or end properly. The UPHClean tool is used to clean up that data. If you’ve been thru a malware cleanup, then there may be some residual stuff in your registry that is causing the problem.