Uninstaller Tool for Comodo Products, inc CIS v5

Thanks for advice on Safe mode.

I am aware that it is appropriate to uninstall and reboot before running a clean up,
but that implies this tool ignores and leaves active any Comodo components that are normally dealt with by Uninstallation. Having encountered permission issues in the past I am a little curious.

N.B. I now use 64 bit W7 Ultimate.
My old 32 bit Laptop uses XP Home and recently my son added EBCD and Dual Boot W7.
Comodo is O.K. on XP, but failed to complete install on W7, and repeatedly failed to uninstall clean enough for another attempt. Due to time constraints Comodo was abandoned and Trial Norton installed.

Norton is disgusting. It not only seized authority over W7 (as expected),
it also hijacked System Volume Information with super hidden Norton folders and files in every NTFS partition,including the partition which belongs to XP.

I have for now given up on Norton controlled W7. At some time I will boot into that and uninstall Norton and use the Norton Removal Tools,and then lady like crazy if I find (as I suspect) that any NTFS partitions remain “owned” by Norton’s additions to S.V.I., and then I will have another go at clean up of Comodo and then an install.

I have suffered sundry consequences, and have reasons for asking strange questions ! !

Regards
Alan

I dont understand the questions; Sorry please clarify a bit more :slight_smile:

Please start a topic in Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS. That’s the best place and will prevent this topic from diverting from its intended topic.

Try to install CIS and tell us in the new topic what error(s) are being reported in the process.

Hi Jacob,

Personally, I don’t mind CMD window since I’m into computers since C64, ZX Spectrum and Atari times… hmmm, good old times. But I must say that using same and consistent UI throughout the entire cleanup process sounds great.

If you would like here is an idea for that aspect of it. How about “re-using” the same main window of this app? Here’s what I mean: the user starts the program and the familiar main window comes up with all the choices (buttons). After the user makes his/her selection the same main window remains on the screen but all the buttons disappear and a progress bar comes up with a text under it saying: “Cleanup in progress…”. The location of the progress bar would have to be calculated after taking under consideration all the text including the one that would appear after the completion of the cleanup process.

When the cleanup is complete and the progress bar reaches the end the text under it changes to:

“Cleanup complete
Cleanup log created in (location)
Would you like to view the log?
Yes - No”

Selecting “Yes” would bring the log.txt up. Selecting “No” would close the window. Selecting “Yes” could also close the window after bringing up the log.txt file. I’m not a programmer so I have no idea how much work would this involve. And of course this is just a “cosmetic procedure”.

I wish you luck with finding a job.

@ Jacob
I currently have no further specific questions.

In January 2010 I posted an improvement on the Clean up Tool which I called ZapBeta with 4 stages.
The first stage deleted nothing but identified everything that would be a target and whether it was present.
When I ran that on an installed Comodo it found most targets were present,
and I focussed on the absent targets and found the targets had spelling mistakes copied from the original tool. I reported those errors but never saw any corrections.
Stage 2 attempted to delete each target.
Stage 3 went through the target list and identified everything that was still present and needed to have access restrictions manually dealt with.
I posted this at reply #31
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/cleanup-tool-for-comodo-internet-security-old-t36499.30.html

I had complete mastery of removing Comodo 3.? from XP Home.
I could identify what was wrong and get into the registry etc. to fix everything.

If your new tool should be defeated by my computer I plan to attempt alternative measures,
and I just needed all the information that could be given on the feasibility of various approaches to removing stubborn and un-identified remnants.

My Laptop Dual-Boot XP + W7 had a major problem in July 2010, see
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/v-41-installation-freezes-on-w7-as-it-kills-internet-installing-kernel-drivers-t59655.0.html

I actually suspended my clean up attempts when I found that there are perhaps 50 reparse points in W7 and I could attempt to go through each to :-
create a file;
delete a file;
read a file;
test existence of a file;
The success or failure of an one of those attempts was not related to the other 3 attempts.
e.g. I could possibly write but not read.

I intend to have another go at it, so I am just getting information that may be relevant

My Laptop has been “mothballed” since February when I received a far more powerful Desktop,
but I intend to power it up and try the latest version of Comodo.
I will start a new topic as you suggest if I have problems.

Regards
Alan

Personally, I don't mind CMD window since I'm into computers since C64, ZX Spectrum and Atari times... hmmm, good old times. But I must say that using same and consistent UI throughout the entire cleanup process sounds great.
I too started from C64 :P My uncle was a strong believer in starting from the begining!
If you would like here is an idea for that aspect of it. How about "re-using" the same main window of this app? Here's what I mean: the user starts the program and the familiar main window comes up with all the choices (buttons). After the user makes his/her selection the same main window remains on the screen but all the buttons disappear and a progress bar comes up with a text under it saying: "Cleanup in progress...". The location of the progress bar would have to be calculated after taking under consideration all the text including the one that would appear after the completion of the cleanup process.

When the cleanup is complete and the progress bar reaches the end the text under it changes to:

“Cleanup complete
Cleanup log created in (location)
Would you like to view the log?
Yes - No”

This is how exactly iy’s going to be like :stuck_out_tongue: but different words lol

I wish you luck with finding a job.
Thanks

[at-bypass] Alan Borer,

I’ll take a look at your findings in ZapBeta, and Include them if needed,

Kind Regards

Jake

Will Release 0.4 5/11/11

Whats New in 0.4?
Logging Ability - SuperUser Suggested
Improvement of CIS Removal in Vista/7 OS
Re-Wrote Scripts For Logging Ability, and Ease of Editing
Changed Background of GUI
Added About Section
Added Instructions for Removal SecureDNS
Changed Name of Project to - Clean-Up Tool for Comodo Products
Created a Low Bandwidth Installation(Command Line Version)
Improvement of Killing Process(s) in Windows XP Home
Currently Working on it (see attached)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looks good Jacob. I’ll definitely test it for you when it comes out.

Keep the good work up Jacob. :-TU

Good on you Jacob, well done with your work. :-TU

Well, I’m done with the CIS Script; just have to re-do other scripts, and as well make a “Command Line” Version, for those who don’t have a lot of bandwidth to waste

No New Features other than Logging, and of Course Command Line;

I’m going to bed, My eyes are strained from staring at this laptop all night :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of work to do on the script(s) tomorrow; Hopefully I get done by tomorrow like i said i would

Jacob

XP Home edition does not include taskkill, as per

Therefore CIS.BAT needs a fix at where you kill cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe,
unless it is feasible/legal to download taskkill from some source.

XP Home includes TSKILL.exe with sort of similar capability,
but it may need a separate line for each target and I do not know if cmdagent.exe has too much access restriction.

If you need further information then :-
http://www.dostips.com/DosCommandIndex.php#TSKILL
and there is a very friendly XP DOS forum that has rapidly responded to my needs at
http://www.dostips.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

I have taken the liberty of posting a query on this in case the answer will help you. see
http://www.dostips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1809

Regards
Alan

Hello Alan,

Thank you for your research, I’ll update as needed;

Kind Regards

I’m slightly back;

Moderator OmeletGuy is redesigning the UI; and I’m Updating Scripts as well as adding new products that were released as well making different distributions (See below more information)… Should be released June 30’th

Distributions:

Full(8-10MB): Nothing Has Changed;

Lite(<2MB): Download the clean-up tool for the product that you only need without having to download the 10MB file

Command-Line Full(<900KB): Includes Clean-Up Support for all the applications but Text-Based UI

Logging Will be Available for all versions,

I want to expand the language also… so I’m hoping few people can translate few things …

That’s good news. :slight_smile:

Sign me up for the Dutch translation.

that’s great to hear Eric! You’ll receive a PM end of this week :slight_smile:

Here is a little preview :slight_smile:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looks nice. :slight_smile:

Hi Jacob. I think the quote above should be added to your Opening Post along with 32bit/64bit compatability. Just an idea. Kind regards.

OK, so in fact this Clean Up tool removes “more” than the normal Uninstaller tool that goes with the product, that leaves leftovers in the registry.

Would it remove more than f.e. a tool like Revo Uninstaller ?

And if I want to remove everything from the Comodo product in question, without having had a problem b4 by installing/uninstalling can I still use it after having used the normal Comodo’s uninstaller ? Just because perhaps I don’t want anything left ?

Fact is that if one uses the normal uninstaller first some software manufacturers (I don’t know about Comodo) just put something extra in place “b4” removing the product. We all know what of course …