"Unable to Sign" after update of email certificate on iPhone

First, thanks to Comodo for providing these personal email certificates.

My prior certificates just expired and I just downloaded a new one. I managed to install it on my mac without incident, and it’s working there. When I tried to repeat the export the entire certificate path as a .p12 file and put it on my iPhone, it gave the illusion of working: Under general>profile I see the right email account and new certificate data.

Unfortunately, when I go back to the mail app, I get an error: “Unable to Sign. You can’t send signed messages because a signing identity for the address “xxx@foo.bar” could not be found. Go to the Advanced settings for this account to choose a signing identity.” Under said advanced settings, I see the same, new certificate info. Worse, I’ve tried turning off S/MIME and/or signing, but every time I go back to a new email, I get the same error, and those settings are turned back on. Quite the annoying undocumented feature.

I haven’t found much relevant to this problem on these fora or knowlegebase. The googles led to some instances that suggested too-similar replacements and/or Comodo certificates might require delete, then hard reboot phone, then import new certificate. Unfortunately this didn’t change the behavior.

I’d appreciate any insights/suggestions you all can add. Thanks,

–KJGriffin