Unable to install Dragon 9.0.0.2

The installer gets stuck when trying to install this on my virtual machine.

VMWare Player 3.1.3
Windows XP Pro SP3, 32bit
VM has 1GB RAM allocated

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi, HeffeD.
Could you please follow bug-report template, and, in addition, answer these questions:

• what is your default browser ?
  • Have you used “clean” (just installed XP) Virtual Machine ?
  • are there any security software installed ?
  • could you please try another virtual machine environment like “VMware Workstation” if you have one (If after trying the problem still exists let us know ) ?

Thanks,

val3ntin

Sorry about the lack of bug reporting format. :embarassed:

Specific symptoms of the bug and steps you can take to reproduce it (step by step).
Installer hangs when attempting to install beta 9.0.0.2 on my virtual machine. I did try to install it multiple times and it hung each time. I was able to cancel the install and received a message that the process would not be completed. The next install attempt would give me the option to either repair on uninstall Dragon. Repair would stick, uninstall worked.

Specific steps you have taken to try to resolve it.
Multiple attempts at installation.

Comodo Dragon Version (Stable/Beta) e.g. Dragon 4.1.1.11 (Beta); e.g. Dragon 4.1.1.12 (Stable)
Dragon 8.0.0.4 installs just fine, Beta 9.0.0.2 does not.

Plugins/Themes installed in Comodo Dragon
None. Clean install. Dragon 8.0.0.4 was installed previously, but uninstalled with CPM (install was monitored) prior to installing 9.0.0.2.

Windows version (w/ 32 or 64-bit) e.g: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit); Windows XP SP 3 (32-bit)
Win XP Pro SP3, 32bit. Fully updated.

UAC status (diabled/enabled) if it applies to you [ for Vista/Windows 7 only! ]
N/A

System Drive where Windows is installed (e.g. C:, “C” Drive )
Virtual machine lives on my “F” drive, but the virtual disk is “C”.

Place (installation path) where Comodo Dragon is installed
Default location. C:\Program Files\Comodo\Dragon

User privileges (administrator, limited user, guest, etc.)
Administrator.

what is your default browser ?
Dragon.

Have you used “clean” (just installed XP) Virtual Machine ?
Yes. Virtual Machine was a fresh installation created less than two hours before the beta was released.

are there any security software installed ?
CIS 5.3.176757.1236

The only other applications installed on the machine during the install attempt were:
Comodo Programs Manager 1.2.178500.77
Revo Uninstaller 1.91
CCleaner 3.03.1366
Auslogics Registry Cleaner 2.0.6.55
Auslogics Disk Defrag 3.1.10.165
Internet Explorer 8 (Windows Update critical update, not default browser)
All applications downloaded and installed this morning.

could you please try another virtual machine environment like “VMware Workstation” if you have one (If after trying the problem still exists let us know ) ?
VMWare Player is the only VM environment I have.

Edit: Modified format because attempting to respond through the list formatting looked confusing.

Interestingly, if I try an upgrade installation from version 8.0.0.4 to 9.0.0.2, this is successful.

Ah, I figured out the problem while doing some further troubleshooting for the developers.

It turns out the culprit was Sandboxie. Sandboxie was set to force Dragon.exe to run in the sandbox, and the setting for the sandbox was to delete the contents after the process closes.

During the installation process, it turns out that the window that asks if you would like to use SecureDNS isn’t a process of Setup.exe, but instead is a process of Dragon.exe. So what was happening was that this Dragon.exe process would be intercepted by Sandboxie, which causes the process to immediately close and the sandbox was cleared automatically. This was the point that the installer would hang for me.

I just happened to be looking at the Sandboxie icon in the the taskbar during an installation attempt and saw the sandbox become populated and immediately clear. It was something I definitely wasn’t expecting to see since I hadn’t started a sandboxed application! It also happens so quickly that unless you are looking for it, you’ll miss it.

Temporarily disabling forced programs in Sandboxie gave me the message that dragon.exe was started outside the sandbox. After this, the installation went without a hitch! :slight_smile:

So that’s a bit of a gotcha the developers should probably look into because people aren’t going to be expecting setup.exe to be initiating dragon.exe during the install until the installer asks if you’d like to launch Dragon. Perhaps either have the installer do a check to see if Sandboxie is installed and mention that it should be temporarily disabled if you have dragon.exe set to be forced to open in a sandbox, or maybe move the SecureDNS portion of the install from dragon.exe to setup.exe. :slight_smile:

I notice the glaring omission of Sandboxie in my bug report, :-[ but I know why. There were several applications that I had installed after trying to install the beta, and I was looking at my desktop icons to determine which applications had been installed at the time. Since I don’t use the shortcut that Sandboxie places on the desktop to open your default web browser in the sandbox, I had already deleted that icon, so it completely escaped my notice that Sandboxie had been installed prior to the beta install attempts. 88) Sorry about that…

The developers have fixed this issue. The next beta should be able to install properly even with Sandboxie set to automatically sandbox Dragon.exe. :slight_smile: