Unable to access secure pages [RESOLVED]

I’m security conscious after a recent virus attack and have read enough to know that the Comodo firewall is preferable to the Windows Vista one. So I installed it but found that, while I could access my normal websites, getting into secure areas was impossible on some of them. For example, try going to the National Savings site (nsandi.com) and click on the link for accessing your Direct ISA. No problem. But then you have a second click to make and my browser would just hang there all day if I let it. Surely, if Comodo was blocking me there’d be a message? There was no message to be seen and the firewall is the problem because I uninstalled it and everything is now fine. I took a tour round all the options of the firewall and Defence+ but couldn’t see any obvious bits that I needed to ‘set’. I’d like to have the Comodo firewall and so am looking for someone to tell me what the problem is and, in simple language (oh please keep it simple…) how to fix it. Thanks in advance.
PS on a ‘trial and error’ basis I also found that Verification Engine was having the same effect but I see that it’s not compatible with Vista anyway.

Are you using the default web browser rules for your browser? I can get to the login after the second click and get an invalid number and password response as expected.

Hi sded. I have Firefox set as my default browser if that’s what you mean. But when I had the Comodo firewall installed, my problem existed whether I used FF or IE7.

No, what I mean is what are your appication rules under firewall/advanced/network security policy that control how your browser is allowed to access various websites? There are default rules for a web browser that should have been selected via a popup for FF or IE.

Like sded says. Go to Firewall\Advanced\Network Security Policy and make sure IE and FF are selected as web browsers. Comodo doesn’t have a web shield so I am sure its not Comodo causing your problem. What av are you using?

Hi - I appreciate the help both of you are trying to give me. Now, you’ll laugh at me, I know, but when you say “Go to Firewall\Advanced\Network Security Policy…” do you mean an area of the Comodo Firewall as opposed to either of my browsers or the Windows Firewall? If so, I’m going to have to reinstall Comodo to make that test.

First of all open up Comodo. Look at the tabs on top and click what I said to click.

Now then, things are moving on. Good news first: neither browser was included in Firewall/Advanced/Network Security Policy. But I managed to add them and now I can get into the sites that I couldn’t previously. Thanks! (I’d have thought the Firewall would automatically allow browsers without you having to add them though.)

Bad news: problem installing Comodo firewall. It all went fine up to the bit where I had to restart Windows to complete the installation. When I restarted, an icon in the system tray was telling me about drivers being checked/installed/updated (I can’t recall) then I got the BSOD with a reference to inspect.sys. After a couple of reboots I’m no longer getting BSOD or driver messages but the Comodo summary page tells me “The network firewall is not functioning properly!”. Diagnostics says it can find no problem with the installation.

Do you reckon you can help me a second time? Thanks in advance.

There is an option to do that. As in the CFP Help file, you’ll see one of the options on the alert that allows you to select something like “Treat application as:” - just select Web Browser. The pic I attached is from the Help file itself, so it might too small to read.

Good to see your initial issue resolved, but this topic is not on the BSOD - please open a new thread on this. Thanks.

Topic Closed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

There are reports of installer and loader problems causing this, so you may need to do an uninstall and reinstall again. There is a long thread on this bug at https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports/the_network_firewall_is_not_functioning_properly_merged_threads-t15023.0.html . First thing to try is to do the uninstall, then go to MS Configuration and temporarily turn off other security applications and unnecessary software and then boot and reinstall CFP3. If the network firewall is functioning properly, you can turn the applications back on in msconfig and reboot and should be OK.