UAC or Defense+?

I don’t see a point of using both defense+ and uac, so which one has better security? To me it seems like limiting account to less than administrator access seems more effective, what do you guys think?

Why install Comodo if your not going to use it to its full potential Most people don’t know how to set up a UAC. This is also a Comodo V3 help section. You should have posted this under comments,feedback.

UAC or Defense+?
Defense+, my experiences with UAC are : annoying. With Defense+ are : less annoying + usefull + powerfull + comprehensive.

So I would advise you to use Defense+

Xan

EDIT : you can actually use both, see here

UAC is actually pretty good. In a recent test in which resistance to rootkits got tested the testers couldn’t get the rootkit on the system in the first place because UAC wouldn’t le them.

D+ gives the same level of protection but it has an extensive whitelist of trusted programs for convenience and will remember permissions when asked to remember. UAC has none of that. Actually I recently read somewhere a Microsoft person they were thinking about introducing whitelists.

I disabled UAC after a week because it annoyed me.

Hi,

No. You don’t need UAC. Defense+ Covers UAC plus a heck off alot more- Due to Defense+!

You can SAFELY disable it.

Josh

UAC provides a good protection, but it is too intrusive. Of course we can use certain utilities to decrease its level of alerts, but it also decreases its level of protection. And what’s the point of having something to protect our system if not at 100%?

Comodo Firewall Pro v3 with Defense+ protects your system very well. And Defense+ is not intrusive as UAC is. So stick with Defense+. Besides why having Comodo Firewall if not using Defense+?

Best regards

I think there’s some confusion over what exactly UAC is: It is a lot more more than just program blocking, although that is indeed one of the things it can do.

It is a separation between the user and the Administrator. It allows the protection of many administrative actions, not just launching files. Changing device settings and network settings are covered by UAC, and it includes Protected Mode in Internet Explorer. Even (and annoyingly) the clock can’t be changed except through UAC.

There are some things you can do to tone it down without turning it off completely:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=436

I presonally use both UAC and Defense+, and I highly recommend following Ed Bott’s advice and tweaking it to a lower level rather than turning it completely off. It does in fact supply functionality that Defense+ does not supply.

if XP users can live without it, so can Vista users.

No Computer is 100% protected- There is no guarantee.

Some people don’t like HIPS- The Firewall in CFP 3 is good. Plus it provides leak protection (If you tick that during installation).

Overall, YES- You CAN Safely disable UAC.

Josh

ummm, why wouldn’t anyone include leak protection? is there a negative feature to it?

Overall, YES- You CAN Safely disable UAC.

“safely” being a relative term, as the only truly safe system is a completely isolated system with no network or internet connectivity.

. . . and as I have already stated, UAC is a lot more than simple file protection.

Well, Yes UAC is a good function. But hey… XP users survive with out it!

It’s really whats best for you…

Josh

To all members interested in this topic I guess Vista’s security impact on the leaktests could provide some additional infos.

Please notice that the article I referenced is based on Vista X64bit and that it is safe to assume that all leaktests involved are able to bypass Vanilla Windows XP and prove different way to compromise its security.

I thank in advance anyone who will report back how CFP behaves with Vista UAC enabled.

You are right. No system is 100% secured. It was just an “expression” to say that to have UAC using only portion of its capabilities, then it would be of no use. At least for me, it wouldn’t.

:slight_smile:

if XP users can live without it, so can Vista users.

It’s so much more convenient than logging out of a user account and logging into an administrative account every time I want to install something.

I thank in advance anyone who will report back how CFP behaves with Vista UAC enabled.

They work fine together. In fact, UAC is less annoying than CFP, as CFP often has several popups whenever I try to install a new program.