Two processes of CAVSE.exe? Is it safe to disable one?

Color me ‘puzzled’ - Why have an antivirus if you don’t want full-time protection?
I was having troubles with another brand and dumped it in favor of Comodo
because of the good reports I have read about it. So far, I like it just fine!

I do have one question though - It has two instances of cavse.exe running together,
and this was explained as being because it works better this way. I’m just guessing
here, but might that be because newer computers have dual-core or quad-core
processors, so each instance of cavse.exe would work on its own part of a dual-core
processor, perhaps? If I’m on the right track here, then could I safely shut off one of
the two instances running on my older single-core Pentium 4 processor? Could someone
please comment on this? Thanks for your help.

Hi, and welcome to the forums! We’re glad to see you here! Some people want an antivirus simply to scan the system on demand when they want it as a backup to another one, rather than having it scan on access constantly. Maybe they’d like to trust another AV to scan everything in real time.

I do have one question though - It has two instances of cavse.exe running together, and this was explained as being because it works better this way. I'm just guessing here, but might that be because newer computers have dual-core or quad-core processors, so each instance of cavse.exe would work on its own part of a dual-core processor, perhaps? If I'm on the right track here, then could I safely shut off one of the two instances running on my older single-core Pentium 4 processor? Could someone please comment on this? Thanks for your help.

Yes and no. While it doesn’t have anything to do with the two processes working on separate cores one might say it does “work better”. Cavse.exe is the on access part of Comodo Antvirus where each file, etc. that is accessed is scanned. Each process works independently, yes, but they work to increase scanning efficiency and reduce bottlenecks that might occur if only one process was doing the scanning. Also, having two processes loaded works as a fail safe built into the product. If one process were to somehow get terminated by malware the other one might still be working and actively trying to stop the infection.

My guess is the two processes combined really don’t take up that many CPU cycles or RAM and it is recommended to keep them both running. Having said that, I’m not even sure how one would go about disabling one but keeping the other if that is the route you wanted to take. Once again though, you’d be better off just leaving the two of them running. Altering that may end up crippling other things.

Hope this has answered your question. Let us know if you have any more and we’ll do our best. Welcome to the forums!

See here: https://forums.comodo.com/faq_for_comodo_antiviruspyware/is_it_normal_to_have_two_copies_of_cavseexe_running_at_the_same_time-t9245.0.html