trustedinstaller.exe

I have recently noticed on a few occasions that trustedinstaller.exe requests outbound access. Machine is Win 7 32. Does anyone know what this .exe does exactly, seems to be a legitimate part of windows? Why does it require internet access? Should I accept or deny? Any info appreciated.

Tge explanation I found is “trustedinstaller.exe is a Windows Modules Installer\r from Microsoft Corporation\r belonging to Microsoft® Windows® Operating System\r . This enables management of Windows updates”

Yes but why outbound access? Is it really needed?

!ot!
Mods, can this one please go to another thread? Thanks.

look it up at virustotal.com

Regards,
Valentin

???

Sorry guys, I am obviously not making myself clear on this issue. Let me try again…

I know that this file is a Windows file.

The issue that I am raising is why does it need internet access? The internet access has started in the past few days and CIS prompts me whether to allow it or not. When I check the IP address it is to a Microsoft registered one.

I am curious to know what is happening, and why it started recently.

Any help on this point much appreciated, thanks.

Never had this request Win 7 x32 are you blocking Svchost.exe internet access.

I presume you have checked it, screenshot details + Hash of mine.

TrustedInstaller.exe MD5 41a4c781d2286208d397d72099304133
SHA1 f80e7c20508022e50d306987c2c88f9ad52349c0 CRC32 84ba6550 C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks Dennis. It looks the same, but how do you check the MD5 and SHA1 please?

From here I downloaded it unziped it to a USB stick then run the application, like this I can use it on any computer.

The only disadvantage using it on a USB stick instead of computer is CIS does not remember the rules so you get 4 to 6 alerts each time.

I did a search for Trusted Installer on the Microsoft site and elsewhere no comments about this only high CPU at startup, so no idea why it is asking for access.

Dennis