Trusted vendors - CIS 3.8

I never meant to imply not to comment/make suggestions. That is farthest from the truth.
However, suggestions have been made to improve upon this and has been agreed this will resolve any personal issues with this. That should be the end of it. What is ignorant to me is this very fact. If another user wishes to carry on the argument (and I am currently perceiving this thread as an argument), why continue to respond such that the process becomes ongoing, without end? (This applies to a lot of users, no one in particular).
This issue was settled, now it is up to the devs to implement it. Let’s tone down and keep it at that, please.

Guys, please remember to follow the forums policy and respect each other. This thread does seem to be getting a little heated. Open discussions are more than welcome here, but abuse to other members will not be tolerated.

Remember everyone will have different opinions and beliefs, and misunderstanding can also occur on forums.

Mike :slight_smile:

What the expression im looking for? Thats it

“■■■■■■ if you do,■■■■■■ if you don`t”

Pop ups—>You get way to many of those with Comodo,average Bob! wont know what to answer. What to do? I know lets see which companies get there executables signed so if someone installs there software they wont get inundated with confusing stuff.

Above average users will know(or find out) about this “feature” and can then amend it to there requirements.
Soon maybe Microsoft will not allow applcations which aren`t digitally signed to run on there OS,it does seem to be going in this direction.

Matt

John, my intent was never to argue, merely to try to explain my point of view in a way that will perhaps make sense to the person challenging me with a comment like, “Why not just turn it off”.

Thanks for the voice of reason mike6688.

My Trusted Software Vendors list already has a great deal of flexibility, in that you can add any vendor to the list if their software has a digitally signed and independently verified executable. Conversely, you can remove any vendor from the list as far as I can tell. The ‘Remove’ button is not even grayed out for Comodo’s two listings when highlighted. Anyone installing CIS, who has more than a passing interest in how it works and what to set the various features to, will look into this feature also. Other people who want to just install the software and forget it while it goes about doing its job of protecting their computer, will probably find that the more vendor entries in this list, the better for them because it will minimize the necessity for their feedback to the program.

Regardless of how many vendor entries Comodo decides to include in this list by default, any user can modify that quantity up or down. I don’t see a big issue here. At the very least, I am happy that Comodo provides this list to users and lets them modify it as they wish. What more can you ask for? Well, I already know the answer to that question, having read the threads and the various proposals about this Trusted Software Vendors list. Various features in the program always provide the opportunity for users to state their opinions of the feature and its functionality. That is also nice, because Comodo listens to the users and values their input as to how a feature is being received. That doesn’t necessarily mean that the feature will be changed, but only that Comodo is listening.

Hello.
I think that the real problem is that you CANNOT remove a vendor from the predefined list.
Try this :

• remove an entry of the list
  • apply
  • look at the list : the entry don’t appears. That’s good.
  • then go to Miscellaneous - Check for updates - Start…
  • the updater module says that updates are available - Accept update
  • reboot your system
  • and now look again at the list and…
  • SURPRISE ! :o
  • the removed vendor is here again.
    The “trusted vendors” are stored in a file named vendor.nme. And if this file is modified, the updater will try to restore the original version. And that’s what i call a bug.

(Sorry for my English)

Hmm, then disable the program updater of CIS ?

Xan

Hmm, then disable the program updater of CIS ?

That works. But do you really think that is a good idea ? :-\

G’day,

I’m afraid it’s worse than that.

Remove several entries from the trusted vendors list, click APPLY, shut CIS so it is minimized to the system tray, re-open CIS and viola!! The deleted trusted vendors are back without an update having occcured.

:o :frowning:

Ewen :slight_smile:

This bug is already known and reported here.

For now, you can only delete items from trusted vendor list one by one. Deleting more than one item at a time doesn’t work.

But the update behaviour is also - hm - I’m searching kind words - unexpected. Thanks for pointing this out. I like the idea of the trusted vendor list in general - but since I have no control about the content at the moment, I’ll have to disable this feature in CIS.

Greets, Mike

Yes, I made a post in the wish list forum about this after the last update.

I got another problem that I cannot ADD new trusted vendors to the predefined list. It just restore to the default list everytime I reboot my PC.

It may be caused by this same bug!!!

I can verify this to be true.
It definitely needs to be resolved.

Unfortunately, When I delete the names that CIS has added, they just pop back into the list without my consent. I’ve tried to delete everything but Comodo, MS, & Mozilla numerous time. It never sticks

PITA, but delete them one by one and it will stick. As I said - PITA!!

It seems that whether you have added or deleted entries in the Trusted Software Vendors list, CIS notifies you that a software update is available for CIS. You have to either ignore this popup or disable the program updater if you want your Trusted Vendors list to remain modified.