I installed Comodo BoClean yesterday and a few minutes ago I realized that the task bar icon was gone. Don’t know why. Is there any way to find out,if this happens again?
Hi. This is a common problem with windows. Most of the time it has to do with the prefetch folder of windows. Just delete the prefetch folder, you will find it under the directory [b]C:\windows[/b] and reboot your system. Windows will create again the folder and the files during the boot time.
Maybe this will fix this
Thank you .I will give that a try if it happens again.
If that fails to clear it up…
If you have ATi’s Catalyst Control Centre running, disable it from start up. It was causing mine and a few others icon to disappear and BOclean to shut down.
Evidently the missing tray icons issue this is a known Windows XP bug. This issue is discussed with work arounds at this link:
Sure is, I’ve had 2 sys tray icons missing for a year or more, the Local Area Connectrion & the Volume/Sound icon, both refuse to appear when the system starts up, I have to go to the control panel and manually set the sound one each time then they both appear _ very strange. I’ve tried every work around out there that I can find, including the one Sammo has linked, but none have ever worked. I think it may have been a Windows update that did it but that’s only a guess.
Another work around to try is as follows:
- Run regedit: click on Start > click on Run > type “regedit”, without quotes > OK
- Navigate to
- In the Explorer folder change the value of EnableAutoTray to 0.
- Right click Start (or anywhere on the taskbar) and select Properties.
- Click the Taskbar tab.
- Clear the Lock the taskbar option.
- Check Hide inactive icons.
- On the Taskbar tab, click Customize.
- In the Current Items section, select each of the items as “Always Hide”. Click OK, then OK again.
- Start all over, re-open the properties dialog box, and select each item as “Hide when inactive” in the Current items section. Click OK, then OK again.
- Navigate in the registry to
- Delete the IconStreams and PastIconStreams values.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Close all open programs.
- Open Task Manager: click on Start > click on Run > type “taskmgr”, without quotes
- Click on the Processes tab.
- Click on explorer.exe in the image name column.
- Click on the End Process button.
- Confirm Yes to kill the process. This will close the desktop except for Task Manager.
- In Task Manager select the File menu command.
- Click on the Create New Task button.
- In the Open box type: explorer
- Click OK.
in this case, i don’t think that the problem is “disappearing icons” but rather that BOC stops running, for some reason…
you’re right redwolfe my icon problem is nothing to do with Boclean I was just confirming Sammo’s statement on the XP missing icon bug.
Sammo thanks for all the effort you put into that last work around, unfortunately I’d tried that one before with no luck. I think on every work around I came across there was a footnote saying that this has worked for some and others had no luck. So far I’ve fallen into the “others had no luck” category with all of them. :-[
After putting up with it all this time it’s no big deal, although it drove me crazy when it first started to do it.
Do you have ATi’s Catalyst Control Centre? If you do disable it from start up. It caused mine and others BOclean to shut down.
If you’re having an ongoing issue, please let Kevin know about it here: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,8915.0/topicseen.html, where he can provide some diagnostics.
The early bird gets another… (:CLP)