Switching configurations

I am currently booted on Windows 10 1809 (17763.1158) but could not reproduce it here either.

Maybe I can try this but first I have to upgrade to V12.2 as I am still on 12.0.0.6882.

I switched CIS to Comodo Firewall and rebooted to make the changes effective. I could not reproduce the findings (Windows 10 1809).

There are three options as far as I can see:

1. The problem only happens on Windows 7
  2. The problem could be confined to only Firewall only (futuretech, did you test on CIS of Comodo Firewall?)
  3. The installation of CISfan has gotten corrupted (are you willing to try a clean installation of the Firewall?)

can’t attach a mp4 or 7z of only 4Mb size to show the issue, oh well so be it.

I believe what you are witnessing. Your description is clear and it allows us to try to reproduce it.

We need to exclude the possiblity that your configuration/installation is corrupt. I have had it happen where I found a bug with CIS but it did no longer reproduce when I started with a clean profile. The old profile was approximately 1,5 y/o and had been used with various versions (some updates I used the program updater and some I did clean importing the old profile).

Hence my question to try a clean installation. It is the only way to know if the issue is with CIS or with profile/installation. This is a mandatory step in bug reporting.

Having tested this over the last few days, I can probably confirm what CISfan says . . .

On a Win10x64 Pro 1909 (18363.836) system which had CIS 12.2.2.7036 clean installed and my Proactive Config imported 3 days ago, I could replicate the point he raised, but as a last test, I scrapped the imported Config I had used over several months and rebuilt a brand new one created from the default Proactive

As he said, any FW rules created in a different Config and then not ‘Saved’ when changing Configs, remain when swapping back to check them

Having said that, it’s not something I’d ever come across as I’d always Export and then Import with a new name before altering anything - the same as editing any Document or Graphic

Whether this is considered a bug or if it should be treated as an ‘Undo Feature’ at all, is debatable and I haven’t done a clean CIS install and new Config at the same time - there is 3 days between

Hello Dharshu,

Do you have any news regarding this issue?
Ploget could reproduce the issue. Could you or you teams reproduce the issue too?
Is it already confirmed?

Thank you.

Hello CISfan,

Yes,I can able to reproduce this issue on Win 10 x64 bit and it’s reported to dev team and they are working in it.
Thank you.

Have a nice day,
PD

I just reproduced this issue. I added the widget to a custom proactive config, then switched to default proactive config without saving the custom one. I then re-activated the custom and the widget was still there.

I first discovered the issue when I added a FW rule and then when I switched between two configurations and back again with No Save I found that the FW rule was still there.
Later I reproduced the same issue with the Widget setting as you described. The same thing happened, first the widget was off and later after switching configurations and back again with No Save the widget was still there.

Thanks a lot for your confirmation CommodoUser2019 :slight_smile:
I appreciate it!

No trouble CISfan. I only did it because you mentioned the widget and I thought it would be quick to check. Likewise, appreciation for your seemingly tireless testing of CIS. Because many software companies rely on end users to (sort of) act as beta testers, this is the best way to help the devs improve their products. Sadly, if there is not enough of this kind of testing and feedback to the dev, often software does not get the needed fixes.

Haha I like your saying “tireless testing of CIS” :slight_smile:
For me it is nothing more then to just put a finger on it and then bump into these kind of bugs, takes almost no effort.

Yes, I understand that feedback is important to improve the product.

Furthermore, let’s not forget that we all get CIS for free so I think all CIS users should contribute at least something to it to make it a better product. :slight_smile:

Hello CISfan,

As per CIS team the reported (Switching configurations) issue is fixed and it will be reflect in the upcoming release.

Should be fixed in 12.2.2.7062

V12.2.2.7062 (Firewall only) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (clean install with all MS-updates)

Only tried Widget test so far.
When enabling the Widget in one config (in which is was default disabled) and switching to another config and clicking NO on “saving your changes” the Widget shows up again when returning to the first config.

In my opinion, the issue still persists.

Could the mods confirm too please?

If you enabled it by clicking ok then switching configs then it was saved prior to clicking no on ask for save. Otherwise it does not save any changes you made if you switch without saving. I tried and the widget never shows and the checkbox was cleared when I switched back.

Confirmed that . . . Clicking Ok saves the setting and changing the Config shows that saved setting always

Indeed I clicked on the OK button in the lower right corner of the Advanced Settings window to close the window in between switching the two configs, that’s the whole point this bug report was all about.
Without clicking on the OK button of the Advanced Settings window in between switching the two configs the widget would never show up anyway after enabling it in the first config when it is default disabled in the first config.

Where to is/are the setting(s) saved then?

Indeed I clicked on the OK button in the lower right corner of the Advanced Settings window to close the window in between switching the two configs, that's the whole point this bug report was all about.
No? That wasn't the issue of the bug, you originally reported and confirmed by ploget that making a change to the config without saving those changes and switching to a different config, to then switch back to the original config would still keep the changes when it shouldn't have.

Why would you expect the setting to not be saved when switching back to the previous active config when you confirmed the changes using the OK button to save and close the settings? You do realize clicking the OK of the main settings window commits and saves any changes that have been made, while clicking close or cancel discards changes.

It will always ask if you want to save changes regardless if any changes were actually made, so clicking no wouldn’t mean anything if nothing was changed before trying to switch the configuration, and the settings have always been saved in the registry.

Sorry, I think I’m mixing things up, it’s been a while, let me re-check. . .