Suddenly cannot update Comodo Antivirus

I am suddenly seeing the attached error message when I try to update Comodo Antivirus.

According to your website you are still supporting XP SP3.

I have been able to install updates on my XP SP3 desktop computer until now.

Please help.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Hi Eloise,

Thank you for reporting, may i know your CIS version ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Thank you for helping C.O.M.O.D.O RT.

That information is not showing when I open Comodo Antivirus or look in Add or Remove Programs.

Cannot see a version number?

Just found this under downloads:

cav_installer_10313_10

COMODO Internet Security

Further info…

For a while before this I was seeing an ‘invalid recognizer’ error, but I was still able to update then unlike now.

Hi Eloise,

We have checked with the team and they said that the Minimum requirement for working of CIS requires OS Windows 7 SP1.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Thank you for your reply, but your website states otherwise and I have been using it for some time!

I have been using it for a long time and it wasn’t compatible?

2 links below:

Your website states that XP is still supported here:

Quote:

“Click here right now to download Comodo antivirus for XP and get all the protection you need from a brand you can trust.”

I did some time ago - it updated fine on my XP computer until now.

Recently I saw an ‘invalid recognizer’ error, but this didn’t stop me from updating.

And here:

Why you need a Windows XP virus protection program
April 5, 2020 | By admin

It’s a known issue, Comodo site isn’t up-to-date unfortunately.

Please read this topic about latest version that supports Windows XP : CIS Free for Windows XP and Vista

CISfan Thank you for your comment.

I’ve just been told XP is not supported at all…

But ‘admin’ stated otherwise in Comodo 2020 article (see link I provided).

Users need to be kept informed!

I used cav_installer_10313_10 (can’t see version number I have installed anywhere) - which was fine until recently.

Hi Eloise,

Sorry for the inconvenience, we will report to the web development team to update the site.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Thank you for your assistance C.O.M.O.D.O RT.

A real shame - I like Comodo Antivirus and I’ve tried a few!

Very odd - as mentioned earlier, a different article on the Comodo site by ‘admin’ dated 2020 is giving a link for XP to download Comodo Antivirus too? >

Why you need a Windows XP virus protection program
April 5, 2020 | By admin

Greetings,

I’m having the same problem as Eloise and I may have identified the problem.

For me the updates started failing on approximately Nov 2. I got the same errors as shown on her image.

I found that I got a new certificate on Nov 2
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Comodo\Cis\wpTemp\certupd\authroot.stl
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Comodo\Cis\wpTemp\certupd\whitelist.json

If I open the certificate, it show the Effective Date as tomorrow (Friday, September 10, 2021 9:09:29 AM).

I hope this means that after the effective date has passed that I will be able to update again. I’ll try to post here tomorrow with my results.

In the meantime, I manually updated by downloading the Base.cav file for ver 5.8 & newer from:

So now I’m much closer to being up to date. The downloadable database is only updated every 2 days. Its ~560 Mb.

FYI, I also run this on WinXP SP3 and my version is: 12.0.0.6818, which I think is the last version supported on Win XP.

Eloise, you can find your version by looking for the ? button (lower right on my version), click it and pick ‘About’. There you will see your version of the software as well as the version of your database. This is also where the link is to import the database I downloaded above.

If any of the forum mods/gurus know anything about the certificate, can you confirm my findings and maybe why a new one came in with a future effective date?

Cheers!

Bawdyn

Thank you for the info and help Bawdyn - appreciated.

Found it. I am using:

Product Version 12.0.0.6870

Will await an answer to your question below:

“If any of the forum mods/gurus know anything about the certificate, can you confirm my findings and maybe why a new one came in with a future effective date?”

Oops,

Must have been some kind of brain fog… That certificate says its effective date was in September, but my brain saw November. So it wasn’t set to be effective in the future.

That said, the modified date of the authroot.stl and whitelist.json files is Nov 2, 2021, which is when I started not getting updates. So something happened then.

I did notice that - thought you had written the wrong year!

Re: "We have checked with the team and they said that the Minimum requirement for working of CIS requires OS Windows 7 SP1.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT"

How long has that been the case please?

People need to be told when the operating system they are using is no longer compatible with Comodo Antivirus.

We probably won’t be able to find an antivirus that is compatible with XP…?

What should we do - leave Comodo Antivirus installed anyway without updates?

I guess that is better than no antivirus at all.

Avira Free AV (use latest version that runs on XP) and use Avira’s fusebundle to update the AV database manually . . .
Hope that helps.

CISfan Thank you for helping.

My computer had more than one BSOD when I tried Avira Free AV in the past.

I am using an old Dell desktop.

May just leave Comodo Antivirus in place with no updates.

Showing: ‘Secure’ (updates issue aside)

Better than nothing.

Eloise,

From my initial post:

In the meantime, I manually updated by downloading the Base.cav file for ver 5.8 & newer from: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/updates/vdp/database.php

So now I’m much closer to being up to date. The downloadable database is only updated every 2 days. Its ~560 Mb.

Not as convenient as the automatic incremental updates, but better than no updates. As long as you have broadband and a high enough download limit, of course. :wink:

Bawdyn Thank you very much for the help / useful information. :slight_smile: