Strange request

Hi there,

I’ve recently installed Pale Moon 8.0 x64 on my system and allowed palemoon.exe (its main executable) to make unrestricted TCP connections (TCP Out). That should be enough for a normal browser use and I can access everything without restrictions. But recently, palemoon.exe is asking for “Allow IP Out (…) where protocol is 41”. Why is that? It doesn’t need any other connection and since it is based on Firefox 8.0, I can’t see why it would request a different permission. Can anybody explain this?

Cheers

Highly likely caused by IPv6 requests.

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37

Pale Moon supports the IP v6 networking protocol by default, which may cause connection problems on certain systems. To disable IPv6 in Pale Moon:
In the address bar, type about:config and press Enter.
In the Filter field, type network.dns.disableIPv6 (part of it will do, e.g. "ipv6")
In the list of preferences, double-click network.dns.disableIPv6 to change its value from false to true.</blockquote>
Tunneling

In order to reach the IPv6 Internet, an isolated host or network must use the existing IPv4 infrastructure to carry IPv6 packets. This is done using a technique known as tunneling which consists of encapsulating IPv6 packets within IPv4, in effect using IPv4 as a link layer for IPv6.

The direct encapsulation of IPv6 datagrams within IPv4 packets is indicated by IP protocol number 41. IPv6 can also be encapsulated within UDP packets e.g. in order to cross a router or NAT device that blocks protocol 41 traffic. Other encapsulation schemes, such as used in AYIYA or GRE, are also popular.

Conversely, on IPv6-only internet links, when access to IPv4 network facilities are needed, tunneling of IPv4 over IPv6 protocol occurs, using the IPv6 as a link layer for IPv4.

Thank you very much Ronny :slight_smile: