Some requests

Hey guys,

Don’t know if this is the right place to put this. There’s way too many threads, it seems like the forum is unorganized.

Anyway, I’ve been using CIS for about a week, and I’d have to say it’s the best free internet security suite I’ve used. There’s only 2 major problems with it. First, it has a lot of false positives. It thinks that files that come with TuneUp, QuickTime, Photoshop, Window Washer, and Acrobat Reader, just to name a couple, are all bad when they aren’t.

Second, there’s way too many pop-ups. It’s outrageous, it says that the programs are marked safe, but it still comes up with a pop-up. One of the worst was when I registered QT Pro. I hit register in QT, and CIS came up with like 25 pop-ups one after another. If these programs are marked as safe, then why does it still ask me if I want to allow it?

So my question is, is Comodo going to fix these problems soon?

You may consider turning off the heuristics: click ‘Enabled’ in the ‘Summary’ tab of the main CIS interface, then localize ‘Heuristics Scanning/Level’ and set it to off. You can also add the files the antivirus flags as malware to the exclusion list without switching off the heuristic scanning. You have an appropriate option on every antivirus alert.

Did you use the so-called ‘Installation Mode’? On almost every Defense+ alert you have an option to ‘Treat this application as Installer or Updater’. Select it but do not tick ‘Remember my answer’. Once you click OK you will be asked for confirmation. Now you shouldn’t get pretty much any pop-up during program installation.
Instead of ‘Installation Mode’ you might select ‘Treat this application as trusted application’ if you trust the application in question, of course.

Well, I agree. It’s a bit of a bummer to get alerts for safe applications, but the devs know that they’re doing so we just need to trust their judgement. :wink: AFAIK you wouldn’t get those alerts if you had your Defense+ at Safe Mode, but I’m not sure of that.

I hope this clears things up for you a little bit. :wink:
If you have any further doubts/questions don’t hesitate to tell us about them.
Thanks

Maybe that’ll work… but the thing is, I’m helping someone build computers for people that can’t afford them or just need one, and a lot of these people aren’t the smartest when it comes to computers. So the computers need to be protected, but I don’t want it getting rid of files that are safe.

Hmm… I’m pretty sure I had it set to that. I’ll have to double check. I did set the configuration settings to Firewall Security, and that seemed to turn off a lot of pop-ups, but it’s still coming up with a bunch.

OK then. If I were you I would install only the firewall without D+ and anti-virus. I agree that the pop-ups might be confusing. I’d add Threatfire (Official Site | Norton™ - Antivirus & Anti-Malware Software) to the firewall (behavioural blocker; however, I haven’t tried it personally because as for now it’s intended for 32-bit systems only, but I’ve heard it’s awesome ;); it is free for personal and non-commercial use) and avast! home (Download Free Antivirus Software | Avast 2023 PC Protection) or avira personal edition (Download Security Software for Windows, Mac, Android & iOS | Avira Antivirus) (great anti-virus programms; free for personal and non-commercial use).

Setting your configuration fo Firewall Security disables D+. So, if you want full protection use Internet Security or Proactive Security.
For more detailed info on CIS you may consider browsing the Help section in the Misc. tab ;).
Thanks