Solitaire does not start in containment

Found some more applications that don’t run in CIS containment (and all do run in Sandboxie) on Windows 7:

C:\Windows\System32\Magnify.exe → Doesn’t start at all, same effect as Solitaire.
C:\Windows\System32\msinfo32.exe → It starts but it says “Can’t Collect Information”. See attached screenshot.
C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe → Throws an error. See attached screenshot.

Could someone please check if these applications do run in containment on Windows 10 or 8?
Thank you.

Mods and board members may also try to run the mentioned applications in their containment and post their results here, that’s allowed. :slight_smile:

Hello CISfan,Yes it did’t run and I will make some further more investigations after that I will notify you.

Hello Dharshu,

Thank you for your feedback and for your confirmation that those applications don’t work in containment.

I’ve yet found some more standard Windows applications which don’t run or which throw errors or run with some strange side effects when run in containment.
After collecting all information I will report them here as well.

Thank you.

@Dharshu and all,

As promised, here are some more standard windows applications that have trouble running in containment.
And as usual all of these applications ran correctly Sandboxed in Sandboxie.

C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe
Doesn’t start at all, like Solitaire.

C:\Windows\System32\StikyNot.exe
Runs but has a strange side effect.
Besides opening a sticky note on the desktop it opens also a small ghost rectangular window in the top left corner on the desktop. Both
windows are framed with a green containment border. See attachment.

C:\Windows\System32\SndVol.exe
Runs but has a strange side effect.
The Volume Mixer window opens but the window itself is not framed with a green containment border. It opens also a small ghost rectangular
window in the top left corner on the desktop which is framed with the green containment border. See attachment.

C:\Windows\System32\Narrator.exe
It runs but first shows an error. See attachment.

C:\Windows\System32\mmc.exe
Runs but opening *.msc files results in errors or incomplete or wrong information being shown.

C:\Windows\System32\eventvwr.exe
It starts but does not run correctly and throws many errors.

C:\Windows\System32\dxdiag.exe
It starts but the information shown on the System-tab and Display-tab is incomplete or wrong.
The information shown on the other tabs seem to be ok (please check).

C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe
Doesn’t start at all, like Solitaire.

C:\Windows\System32\colorcpl.exe
It runs but the Devices-tab is not shown at all (it only shows 2 tabs instead of 3).

Please confirm that these applications also have trouble running in containment on other OS’s.
Thank you.

Hello CISfan,

Thank you for your great effort.Sure I will check that and update you.

Hello Dharshu,

Is there any news regarding this bug report yet?
Will containment be improved in the next CIS release so that it supports more applications running error free in it?
Any status update what already has been fixed perhaps?

Hello CISfan,

Yeah sure.
Teams are working in it,corresponding team member will inform you.

Kind Regards,
PD

Hello Dharshu,

Thank you.
I’m looking forward to the improvements. :-TU

Have a nice day.

Fixed in 12.2.2.8012.