Should the Tor browser be able to run in Container?

Windows 10 21H2 19044.1348
TOR started update automaticly to Tor Browser 11.0.3 and
started automaticly, in secure shopping I started manual

I’ve had “connect automatically” always switched off (which is the install default) and I was able to run TOR V11.0.3 only ONCE in Containment but after that no more.
Does TOR V11.0.3 start and run in Containment each and every time on your end?
Does it show the Connect button each and every time you start TOR 11.0.3 in Containment (switch off “connect automatically” if you have it set to on and also “Reset the Container” between the runs)?

Here TOR V11.0.3 still refuses to run in Containment.

1. “connected automatically” = enabled

2. I can start TOR as many times as I want

3. “connect autom.” is/stays enabled/activated

4.I didn’t reset the container but I did it now to test - I can start TOR as many times as want I want

I don’t know if this can help (attachment)

Even Mozilla is set as unknown in the vendor list it does function. Same with TOR Corporation.

Attachment 2: eigene Richtlinie = own settings

In firewall set as web-browser but should not play a role

Just I don’t know where else the problem might lie.

Try in comodo secure shopping: (it’s only a try !f)
1 on “firefox.exe” mous click with with right mous botten -----> run in comodo container

2 in adress line: Tor

3 go on with - choose wath you want to do after opening the sites (google seeking)

i.e. Tor Project | Download Tor Browser or Tor Project | Download

Why does TOR V9.5.1 run in Containment each and every time and TOR V11.0.3 never?
Also, why can’t TOR be run normally alongside running another instance of TOR in Containment? Trying to do this results in TOR errors. It seems that the TOR processes in running Containment and the TOR processes running normally don’t run fully isolated from each other, they interfere with each other.
One can run Firefox both normally and in Containment at the same time without any problem, why can’t this be done with TOR?

Doesn’t function on my computer with firefox, too, and some other software. I don’t worry about it.

Hi all,

We are checking on this.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Greetings,

I asked about this question to a geek buddy representative and he told me to request a CIS update by sending email to questions@cis.com about two weeks ago, but the issue is still pending.

(Using non-admin session on Windows 8.1 64-bit). Tor runs fine when not sandboxed. When creating a CIS rule to force its firerfox.exe to be run sandboxed, the Tor web browser window will open, its menu bar will load and the functionalities works without a problem, but the button on the main screen named “connect” (next to “tor network settings” button) just won’t appear in sandbox mode. Even if I check the “always connect automatically” function, Tor wont establish a network while sandboxed by CIS.

I’m currently using the lastest Tor version 11.0.3. The issue seems to have arise during last Tor update from v.10.something I think to 11.0.2 (based on interface changes).

Anyone has an idea how I can circumvent this bug and use latest Tor version sandboxed with CIS?

Thanks in advance,

B

Hi burialfaith,

Thank you for reporting, we are aware of this issue.
May i know your:

1. CIS version ?
  2. Is there any other security product installed on your machine?
  3. Any related sreenshot ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

All that is needed is to have firewall application rules for the tor and firefox executables to allow outgoing requests. They need to be set ahead of time so that you don’t need to answer the firewall alert which will not work even after choosing allow.

Nope, even then (creating the FW rule ahead of time) it still doesn’t work flawlessly.
There are still times that Tor doesn’t show the Connect button even when executing “Reset the Container” before the Containment or VD session.
Also, when “Reset the Container” is executed before a Tor Containment or VD session and Tor does show the connect button in that session it won’t show it again in a next Containment or VD session without executing “Reset the Container” first.

Hi all,

Is TOR browser running properly in virtual desktop ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

No problems with it at all . . . Windows 10 or 11, in either Containment or Virtual Desktop

Tor V11.0.3 has for sure troubles on Windows 7 and maybe also on Windows 8, 10 and 11 when Tor is run either in Containment or run in Virtual Desktop when Tor Automatically Connsct feature is disabled on Tor start page (meaning you have to click on the Connect button on Tor start page each time after Tor starts to make a Tor circuit / connection). The Connect button on Tor start page just doesn’t always appear in this case.
Also, more users have the same complaint.

Tor V9.5.1 does not have such issues when running it in Containment or in Virtual Desktop, it always runs and works in Containment or Virtual Desktop correctly.

Hi CISfan,

Thank you for sharing the requested information.
So the latest version of TOR was working fine in the normal window, whereas running in comodo containment and virtual desktop the connect feature is missing right ?
If so could you please share us the screenshot of TOR in normal mode and in containment mode along with the system detail & CIS version ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hello C.O.M.O.D.O RT,

Yes, Tor V11.0.3 works fine in normal window.
When running Tor V11.0.3 in comodo containment or in virtual desktop the connect feature is missing very often.

As requested here is the screenshots:

• Tor Normal Window (Tor buttons showing)
  • Tor Containment Window (Tor buttons missing)
  • Tor Virtual Desktop Window (Tor buttons missing)

EDIT: Tor Firewall rule was made ahead of time as suggested by futuretech to solve the connect issue, but unfortunately it doesn’t.

These are the results in Win10 consistently (identical in Win11). All done with the Firewall rule(s) made in advance as per futuretch reply #28 . . . CIS 12.2.2.8012 with TOR 11.0.3

Does Tor show the connect buttons when you close Tor and start Tor anew for a second or more times in containment or in Virtual Desktop without applying “Reset the Container” before the Containment or Virtual Desktop session on your end?

Hi CISfan,

Thank you for providing the requested screenshot, we will take this to team notice and update you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Just skimming throug this one. What tweaks have you done to auto-containment? If you’ve done CruelSister trick of setting it to “Restricted” remember to add a containment rule to run the browser as “partially limited” and a Firewall program rule added as “web browser” as described here: Comodo Firewall- The Cruelsister Variation - YouTube. Restricted blocks contained apps from connecting out.

It does . . . it is totally consistent on both OS. rarely use it in these circumstances until this query arose, but there are no problems at all. Multiple tests over the last few days