Should the home-user versions of Comodo FW/AV/IS be open soruce?

• Yes for transparency sake
  • Yes, to allow people to inspect it for bugs
  • Yes to the above
  • Not opposed
  • No
0 voters

Just the home user versions of comodo, the corporate versions would still be closed source.

I personally think that it should be open source so that people can inspect it for bugs and for transparency reasons.

If you don’t like the free Comodo, you can use something else.

There have been a few open source firewalls however they haven’t set the world on fire for whatever reason.

To be honest if pushed for an answer, I’d prefer to have a brilliant closed source firewall then a so so firewall that’s open source.

3 Likes

but imagine if CFW was open source, being capable of all the things it does

Yeah but unfortunately it’s not going to happen for commercial reasons. Not unless it’s partly open source but even then what’s the point?

1 Like

It is better if the hackers or the competition cannot see into a security software.

1 Like

I mean, yeah.

But there’s a lot of bugs in comodo that still sometimes happen on some systems that are over 15 years old.

You get trapped in circular conversations when you talk to people at Xiticitum about anything that they’re not prepared to answer in an instant.

Open and closed source software have bugs.

Now would you trust yourself to fix an issue if the firewall was open source? Would you trust somebody else other then the software owner to fix an issue as critical as a firewall?

2 Likes

I don’t see this ever happening nor would I want to.

There are open source firewalls out there though rather complicated and some require a 2nd pc running full time. Rather use Windows Firewall? Try WF UIs like Windows Firewall Control

There are a few sandboxing OS programs out there but none like Comodo’s Containment . Even though Sandboxie is now open source it only sandboxes whatever program you choose to run it in at the time and not system wide protection.

A lot of open source security software require more expertise than a normal user is likely to be interested in and you’d have to do your own bug fixing as others have said so use what works for you but I’d rather trust products maintained by a company with far more expertise.

2 Likes

Good afternoon, here is my answer to the poll.
My answer is NO.
I agree when some friends on the forum say that it is better to leave it in the hands of the software owner than anyone else messing around without having prior knowledge.

One thing that I’ve always had an issue with is that home-user versions of comodo sometimes have bugs and the bugs don’t get fixed very quickly.

If the home-user versions of CIS/CAV/CFW were made open source it would put pressure on the devs to fix any bugs or vulnerabilities quickly. With more people inspecting the code for problems and getting rewarded for spotting them, it would make for a better application

1 Like

Looking back, would it put pressure on developers, speeding up bug fixes, if so I would even vote “YES”

1 Like

Who says the users would be rewarded? You thinking it doesn’t mean it would happen fortunately or unfortunately.

1 Like

I’m suggesting the reward as a new policy.

Proton does it, I’m pretty sure other open source VPN providers and bitwarden does it

Now you can understand that Proton is doing very well. :+1: