Should Comodo Pass This Test?

Hello. I heard about a test on Trustware.com that has a Trojan Test to see how vulnerable your PC is, and I failed it with Comodo Firewall and AOL AVS active. The website is really for harping Trustware products including a free software called Buffer Zone that is supposed to pass this test. I’m not sure how legit this test is as they want you to use their program, but as I said my PC failed the test after opening up the desktop Icon it downloads (like firewall leaktest) and following the instructions. A few people have passed it as posted in the Wilders Security Forum on this, but again in my case My Documents were sent to their website for me to read in full view, just like it said it would after it launches Calculator and scans documents. Maybe someone can go to Trustware.com and try this test and get back to me. I’m not as much worried, as I am curious as to how or why I failed this test, when I know Comodo passes all the Leak Tests thrown at it. The people that passed the test were using ProcessGuard, A Squared w/IDS, I believe the older version of Kerio Firewall which blocked the outgoing message, and something called ViGuard. One person also said Nod stopped the Trojdemo exe. as it is called. I feel secure with CPF and AVS, and don’t want to use anything else, but I do wonder now if it’s enough. Take care.

My comodo did pass the test. I got a popup warning that trojdemo.exe tried to contact my DNS server. I denied it and Trojdemo said that my computer is secure.

How is CPF set up for you? I’m in learning mode and my set up is still from initial install. I did get a few pop ups asking me to Allow or Deny FireFox to let Trojdemo exe. to access the internet, but the test said my PC is not secure.

Did you allow this connection attempt? If so, that could be the reason you failed.

:slight_smile:

Ehehehehe…

I made that test here at work just for curiosity… Cisco PIX 506 firewall + NAI AV updated…

I failed SO MUCH in that test… Nice configurations in this, I might say (:TNG)

You know what? At the beginning after opening desktop icon, calculator pops up and then another box that claims PC is not secure and states to go on line to view results of my documents that were scanned. I think however, since it also states this is a demo of a Trojan attack, that as long as I don’t allow the Trojandemo exe to access the internet by denying each of the three pop up windows that appear from Comodo asking to allow or deny, it is actually passing the test. I don’t know for sure, but I trust comodo know matter what this test is truly about. Thanks, and I hope to hear some more responses to get to the bottom of this. I won’t be installing Buffer Zone either.

Now just a minute here, this sounds all too familiar but worse.

During the process your Firewall may notify you of our demo trying to access the network. <Um, so? I installed it, of course it will. :o

This means our demo has successfuly accessed your files and is trying to report its findings to our server. <Duh Oh, well let’s see. We download this , allow it to install, and it has “successfully accessed our files?” Uh, something is a bit off here,lol.

If you allow our program to connect to the network you will receive a link to view the test results online. After you referesh the web page the information we were able to collect from your PC will be deleted.
“KEY WORDs” if you allow.

Now, in my way, my words, I will attempt to translate what I think this says…

Download our software test, run it, now that it is installed ON your computer by YOU and allowed, it alerts you that it accessed files to scare you and now, if you let it through to access the internet it will tell you you failed.

Is there something wrong with this picture? I think so. While PCflank was one test that irritated me since it uses OLE automation, a known Windows process to claim it accesses or causes your firewall to leak, this one takes the cake. It is asking you to allow everything so it can tell you how you’ve failed?

Also>We will attempt to prove that none of your security systems will alert or identify our intrusion attempt. As you run the .exe file you we will launch your calculator and scan your documents’ names. We will then place your document names on our server and provide you with a link so that you can see what files we accessed.<

Why does it have to scan documents? What will it prove? It’s installed on the PC, any program that scans for files or folders can do this. Why not just send a text message like PCflank at least. I think I trust this less than a virus.

Paul

Thanks comicfan2000, I liked your explanation of why there is doubt to this test being legit more than mine. I was on the right track though. LOL. Take it easy and thanks again for making this more clear.

You are very welcome. It still may be worth more reading up on it or e-mailing support and ask them exactly what it does, but to me it seems very “iffy”. :wink:

Paul

This test omits the truth in a similar way that the PC Flank test does. It says it has succeeded in circumventing your firewall, before it even attempts a Net connection (what’s that about?). Once it tried to access the Net (via Firefox in my case) & send the info that it had previously gathered (via the view results button?) CPF detected it… and I denied it. End of story. Nothing got sent & TrojDemo.exe failed (despite its claims of success).