Settings Question(s)

Hello,

I’m new to CPF having made the switch from ZA. I’ve attempted to look through the FAQ’s but still have a couple of questions. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

I installed CPF with the recommended settings. I ran the wizard to look for Known Applications and then rebooted.

Under the Application Control Rules I changed the settings for IE, et al to ask yet IE opens without asking my permission. With ZA I had it where any connection other than Generic Host Process had to ask me via pop-up to access the internet. Is there something I’ve done wrong here? I’d like to be asked before IE or Firefox connect to the internet.

Under the Network monitor I must admit to being a bit lost. There are five items and four have access whilst the fifth doesn’t. Is there any way to get a description of what they mean.

One further question - I received the following in the log viewer-any comments are appreciated:

Date/Time :2006-09-26 13:37:03
Severity :High
Reporter :Application Behavior Analysis
Description: Suspicious Behaviour (svchost.exe)
Application: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
Parent: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
Protocol: UDP Out
Destination: 69.1.30.26:bootp(67)
Details: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe has tried to use C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe through OLE Automation, which can be used to hijack other applications.

(B)

I figured out the solution. Cheers!

hey lowjat,

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

Did you figure out the solutions to ALL your questions, or just some?

If you have any questions, or if you want some clarifications, particularly on the network rules, fell free to post back here. There’s a great group of users here who are, workload permitting, only too happy to help out.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

P.S. The bootp thingy is about your system using DHCP to automatically acquire an IP address. This should be allowed.

Ewen,

Many thanks for the response. I’m floored at the support that’s given and am pleasantly surprised at the CFP. I’ve posted another question and await any responses to it.