security question

looking to purchase CIS pro with trustconnect - going down south in our rv for the winter and will be using wi-fi on a regular basis.

The way I understand it, trustconnect creates a VPN and encrypts data leaving my laptop before it travels through the open wireless network (rv park wifi hotspot) - this provides protection from sniffers etc.

I also understand that usually, a VPN allows for secure connection between 2 computers i.e. home and work.

What I’m not sure of is how it works from my laptop to a particular site on the internet.

Is the data only encrypted from my laptop to Comodo’s server and then unencrypted at the Comodo’s server and sent to the website that I am browsing unencrypted?

Or, does the data remain encrypted through the Comodo server on to the website in question?

If it is encrypted throughout it’s entire travel to its final destination, how does the site that you are visiting unencrypt the data if it does not have the key to unencrypt?

If the data is unencrypted at Comodo’s server before continuing its travels to destination -why would that me more secure than sniffers at the hotspot (i.e rogue or disenchanted Comodo employee doing the same as a potential sniffer or wardriver at the hotspot location ??)

The main purpose of the service is a protection your data from attacks from the local network that you’re using to connect to the Internet, especially publicly accessible wireless Internet connections.
Data is encrypted only on the way from your PC/ laptop to Comodo’s server. Most often, your data can be hacked by criminals on this way.

That’s how it works if i’m right (Comodo’s people will correct me).

If the data is unencrypted at Comodo's server before continuing its travels to destination -why would that me more secure than sniffers at the hotspot (i.e rogue or disenchanted Comodo employee doing the same as a potential sniffer or wardriver at the hotspot location ??)
One should definitely trust Comodo in order to use TrustConnect. And do not forget to study [url=https://accounts.comodo.com/trustconnect/management/eula]EULA[/url] with all legal pettifogging (if any :)).

“If the data is unencrypted at Comodo’s server before continuing its travels to destination -why would that me more secure than sniffers at the hotspot (i.e rogue or disenchanted Comodo employee doing the same as a potential sniffer or wardriver at the hotspot location ??)”

There is de question, first, I think: If the information travell encrypted between my PC and Comodo server, and then is unencrypted, means that if I connect to my bank account web site with Comodo TrustConect, my password bank account is unencrypted in Comodo Server and travel unencrypted from Comodo Server to the server of my bank account. Can Comodo unencrypt a https website?. Can an employee of Comodo see the passwords of a bank account website?.
The https websites travel in the net encrypteded all time. If Comodo Server unencrypted it and in the way from Comodo Server to the, for example, bank website travel unencrypted, what security is this?

The connection with the bank is almost always encrypted and carried out through https protocol. Thus, your credentials (and other info) are already adequately protected and can be decrypted only on site of the bank you working with, even if you don’t use the TrustConnect.
If you are using TrustConnect, your traffic gets additional encryption on the way between your PC and Comodo server. On Comodo Server this traffic is decrypted, but “original”, bank traffic, remains encrypted. So, your bank credentials cannot be read by somebody on Comodo server.
Should be said, that TrustConnect is intended first of all to protect your unencrypted traffic against interception when you’re using public local networks and to hide the destination server while surfing the Internet.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

So, is it a good practice to do banking transactions from home network? Would you recommend to do it? Would there be any chance of leaking this information (bank user-id/pwd) by Comodo to authorities upon request?

Thanks,
Harsha.

If you are not confident in the safety of your home network, it would be better to use TrustConnect. More detailed is here: TrustConnect Overview
Concerning your second question, you may refer to: Comodo Trustconnect Subscriber Agreement and TrustConnect Overview

Trustconnect is designed to protect you from possible threats on whatever network you are logged in on. For example, a public WiFi hotspot at an airport while traveling, a restaurant, or a coffee shop. Because those networks are open for anyone to use, it’s fairly easy for anyone with the right tools and knowledge to intercept what information is going from your computer through the hotspot, and back.

Trustconnect remedies this by encrypting all of the information as it leaves the computer, so if anyone at the unsecure hotspot is trying to read your information, all they will see is gibberish from the encryption. Once the encrypted information arrives at the Comodo servers the information is decrypted and then forwarded to whatever servers are necessary to retrieve the information that you need. Once the information is retrieved it is encrypted and sent back to your PC again, inhibiting anyone else on another PC from seeing what you are doing from your internet traffic, because again it is encrypted.

Comodo employees although it may be possible to see what internet information you are trying to retrieve from your traffic after it’s been decrypted at the server, is really not a huge threat, it’s no different than if your ISP was trying to do the same thing.

As for online banking, many bank websites today are already secured and use a high-grade encryption, so the information leaving your PC and going to that bank’s website is already encrypted and your passwords should not be at risk.

Again, your concern seems to be if a Comodo employee wanted to see your traffic, if they could, while in essence they probably could (as I’m not familiar with Comodo’s practices on this) I will once again say, this is no different then if your ISP at home wanted to do the same. Overall I would not be too concerned with this, Comodo likely has many different procedures in place to prevent compromise of such data.

Hope this helps,
Justin

Hello!

I am a french user off Comodo. I want know more on this subject but my english is not really great and it’s hard for me to understand the answers of this subject. Will it have in the english forum a person who speak french and who know trusted connect to help me ? Because the french part forum is not on the top…

Thanks.

1. Le TrustConnect est destiné d’abord à protéger votre trafic non chiffré contre l’interception lorsque vous utilisez les réseaux publics locaux (Tels que les lieux publics de connexion WiFi dans un aéroport lors d’un voyage, un restaurant ou un café) et à cacher le serveur de destination tout en surfant sur l’Internet.

2. Parce que les réseaux publics sont ouverts à quiconque d’utiliser, la personne les outils et les connaissances appropriées peut intercepter les informations qui se passe à partir de votre ordinateur via le hotspot, et le dos. TrustConnect élimine cette menace en cryptant toutes les informations qui va de
    votre ordinateur et l’envoyer au serveur de Comodo. Une fois les informations chiffrées arrive sur le serveur Comodo, l’information est décryptée puis transmis à tout les serveurs sont nécessaires pour récupérer les informations dont vous avez besoin. Une fois l’information est retrouvé, il est chiffré par le serveur de Comodo et renvoyé à votre PC à nouveau, quelqu’un d’autre inhibiteur sur un autre PC de voir ce que vous faites de votre trafic Internet, car encore une fois qu’il est crypté.

3. Vous pouvez utiliser TrustConnect non seulement dans les réseaux sans fil, mais aussi en filaire (par exemple, dans un hôtel), si vous avez besoin de crypter votre session et / ou de masquer votre destination. En outre, si vous n’êtes pas confiant dans la sécurité de votre réseau domestique, il serait préférable d’utiliser TrustConnect.

4. Théoriquement, les employés Comodo pouvez voir ce que l’information sur Internet vous essayez de récupérer à partir de votre trafic après qu’il a été décrypté au niveau du serveur Comodo, mais il n’y a pas un système de surveillance spéciale à cet effet.

5. Les connexions avec les banques sont presque toujours cryptés et effectuée via le protocole https. Ainsi, vos informations d’identification (et d’autres infos) sont déjà bien protégés et ne peuvent être décryptés que sur le site de la banque que vous travaillez avec, même si vous n’utilisez pas le TrustConnect.
    Si vous utilisez TrustConnect, votre trafic devient un cryptage supplémentaire sur le trajet entre votre PC et le serveur Comodo. Le serveur Comodo ce trafic est décrypté, mais “original” du trafic banque, reste crypté et ne peut être déchiffré par quelqu’un sur le serveur de Comodo.